wut do u feed ur dog

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
diesel

wut do u feed ur dog

Postby diesel » Fri May 13, 2005 9:37 pm

i wanted to know wut everyone here fed there dog, i personaly think science diet is the best because my vet not only recomends it but he feeds it to his dog but i have talked to a pet suplies store owner and she says that because its main ingreedeint is corn and thats just a filler and its true its main ingreedeint is corn but i dont see wuts wrong with this the owner of the store recomends cianidea which she sells go figure so give me you insight on this and wut you think the best food is and why

barbponys
Health Guru

Postby barbponys » Fri May 13, 2005 9:42 pm

Dude, puctuation make reading posts much easier.........

Read this, it will explain why SD is crap.

http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=10841

http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=5536

If you still don't understand, I will be happy to answer your specific questions.

moto1320

Postby moto1320 » Fri May 13, 2005 9:44 pm

In regards to "go figure", your vet is selling Science diet for the same reason that they all do, because they get a cut...not because it is a good food. The lady at the pet store makes more of a profit margin off of that stuff than Canidae all day long so it's to your benefit, not hers. Science Diet is a crappy food. Corn is a bad main ingredient because dogs are carnivorous and corn, simply put, doesn't supply what they need and leads to a host of health problems. Bull breeds in particular seem to have alot of allergic reactions to corn. Do a search here and you will find tons of info on quality foods that the lady that sells Canidae will be familiar with and/or carry. Unfortunately you usually cannot trust your vet on diet issues, they just don't study it that much in school and don't know much about it. Since they don't want to look incompetent they will usually offer bad advice instead of saying the truth...they don't know.

diesel

Postby diesel » Fri May 13, 2005 9:56 pm

[quote="moto1320"]In regards to "go figure", your vet is selling Science diet for the same reason that they all do, because they get a cut...not because it is a good food. The lady at the pet store makes more of a profit margin off of that stuff than Canidae all day long so it's to your benefit, not hers. .[/quote] she does not sell sd so she does not make a more of a profit margin on "that stuff" and the firstt thing that she recomended was a 20 lb $40 bag of dog food

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Fri May 13, 2005 9:56 pm

here is a simple chart and your science diet is on it too!
it is some really crappy food btw.
http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=19070

barbponys
Health Guru

Postby barbponys » Fri May 13, 2005 10:09 pm

diesel wrote:
moto1320 wrote:In regards to "go figure", your vet is selling Science diet for the same reason that they all do, because they get a cut...not because it is a good food. The lady at the pet store makes more of a profit margin off of that stuff than Canidae all day long so it's to your benefit, not hers. .
she does not sell sd so she does not make a more of a profit margin on "that stuff" and the firstt thing that she recomended was a 20 lb $40 bag of dog food

And her mark-up on that bag is MAYBE 30% The vet makes at LEAST 50% on any SD he sells. That's a HUGE profit margin for food.

moto1320

Postby moto1320 » Fri May 13, 2005 10:10 pm

diesel wrote:
moto1320 wrote:In regards to "go figure", your vet is selling Science diet for the same reason that they all do, because they get a cut...not because it is a good food. The lady at the pet store makes more of a profit margin off of that stuff than Canidae all day long so it's to your benefit, not hers. .

she does not sell sd so she does not make a more of a profit margin on "that stuff" and the firstt thing that she recomended was a 20 lb $40 bag of dog food

She doesn't sell it because she knows better, the point is that she could. that expensive food costs her more than SD and lowers her profit margin...she's not trying to get over on you. anyway, that's not the point. Before you snub your nose at the prices realize that they have significantly higher quality and levels of protein and require 50% less feeding. 4 cups average food equals 2 cups good food. Good food is usually only about 20% more so you actaully save money. You are getting what you pay for unlike mainstream kibbles. Your dog will look better, stay healthier, not have the notorious gas, have more muscle mass, a nicer coat, better breath, smaller stool, and stay more trim on a quality food.

odog80

Postby odog80 » Sat May 14, 2005 8:03 am

Yeah, I heard so many "great" things about Science Diet at first and when I got Tank, thats what I started him on......the I started reading alot about diets and excercise when I wanted to step up Tank excercise schedule to "the next level" lol and when I really started reading about SD, I immediatekly switched him to a much better grade food. SD, is pretty much corn. :crybaby: NO GOOD!!! I now feed him and Jada Canidae dry and I have seen a huge improvement in Tanks coat, muscle and just all around everything. Jada loves it and is doing amazing on it so with Canidae I am staying. I give them some raw meat as treats and an egg 3 times per week or so with their food. Best out of it all, is they doggies love it and a 40 lb. pag of Canidae is about $4 than what I was paying for SD.

Trump72

Postby Trump72 » Wed May 18, 2005 12:16 pm

i just switched my girl from ntro natural to timberwolf.

expensive.... but worth it. i think.

we'll see if her allergies clear.

gypsydog

Postby gypsydog » Wed May 18, 2005 12:26 pm

I wont bash SD but my dogs never did well on it. They lost muscle weight and gained fat, and their coats were significantly duller than on my current food. A good place to look for actual comparisons to how much food of one brand you can feed against another take a peek at thier calories per cup. Granted you will have to feed less calories if they are more digestible than others but it gives you a good starting point. Don't always trust a label to tell you the amount to feed your dog. They are horribly generalized and food compairson charts suffer the same dilemma. You cant say a 55 pound basset hound needs the same food requirements as an active 55 pound Pit. It once again is a rough guide and should not be used to accurately measure food consumption.

Return to “Health Issues”