He wont' eat!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
pitsareangels

He wont' eat!

Postby pitsareangels » Mon May 16, 2005 4:17 pm

Bronson refuses to eat. The only way he'll eat is if I put canned food in with it but I don't want him to get used to that. I want him to eat dry food. He will eat eggs if I put them on his food but then he picks around the food. How can I get him to eat. I know they say dogs won't starve themselves but I think he might.

Salival
Super Bully

Postby Salival » Mon May 16, 2005 4:44 pm

How long has he been refusing to eat? And have you been catering to him every time he refuses to eat the dry food?

He won't starve himself, just quit worrying about it. If this is the food that you feel comfortable feeding him then feed it. If he doesn't eat it within so long pick it up and wait until the next feeding.

clostoyo

Postby clostoyo » Mon May 16, 2005 4:51 pm

my male use to be the same way and sometimes still is, we have to remember that these are dogs were talking about, as long as the food is not out of date or the food hasnt spoiled he'll eat it. It might take him a day or two but theres going to come a time that he'll know that this is all the food he has and he'll eat, but if you wait a day and give him wet food, he'll figure out that if he waits a bit youll give him what he wants. and whos the alfa male then? Always be the one in charge the one to call the shots these dogs will try your patience when ever given the chance. Try it youll see that he will eat his dry food.

happy_pitbull

Postby happy_pitbull » Mon May 16, 2005 10:21 pm

Why not add some warm water to the dry food...I do and my dogs love it! I let it sit for a few mins and mix it all up, kinda makes a gravey, and they think they are getting something special!

Mine will eat it dry as well, but I prefer to add water to it for them. :))

HartagoldAST

Re: He wont' eat!

Postby HartagoldAST » Tue May 17, 2005 12:22 am

pitsareangels wrote:Bronson refuses to eat. The only way he'll eat is if I put canned food in with it but I don't want him to get used to that. I want him to eat dry food. He will eat eggs if I put them on his food but then he picks around the food. How can I get him to eat. I know they say dogs won't starve themselves but I think he might.

No, he won't- unless he is sick or something- healthy dogs WILL NOT starve themselves.

Put the DRY food down for 15 minutes (if he's just getting distracted, feed him in his crate) and if he doesn't eat it, take it away until his next meal time. Don't make a fuss over it or beg him to eat or put extra stuff on it. And NO TREATS during the day if he doesn't eat his food! Put it back down at dinner time for 15 minutes, and if he doesn't eat, he goes hungry till breakfast. It is rare for a dog to skip more than 3 meals when doing this- but you have to be SURE nobody is giving him other stuff or he will keep turning his food away. When he does eat it all, and is done with the food, praise him and tell him he's a good boy, to reinforce that this is what you want.

Pit bulls are notorious PIGS when it comes to food. If he's picky, you have made him that way by babying him. He knows if he turns the food down, you'll give him something better! Imagine if you were a kid sitting down to dinner, and mom put meatloaf on your plate. You sit there and don't eat for a few minutes....and mom comes along and puts some cake in front of you. You eat the cake and leave the meatloaf. Next day, same thing.....mom brings you a handful of candy when you refuse the bacon & eggs! She keeps telling you that you need to eat your meals.....but you know you'll get something better if you hold out! Why SHOULD you eat your meal, when you'll get cake, ice cream, candy, etc for NOT eating! Your dog is doing the same thing........ :bully:

barbponys
Health Guru

Postby barbponys » Tue May 17, 2005 7:53 am

What are you feeding? Sometimes the food is the issue too. If it's a high quality food, you are spoiling him. If it's crap, he may really not like it.

pitsareangels

Postby pitsareangels » Tue May 17, 2005 4:33 pm

*sigh* I know they'll eat eventually but he's going on his 2nd day of not eating. He sniffs his food turns his nose up and walks off. He'll eat grass like a cow. And I mean like a cow..in big mouthfulls at one time. I think he's doing that to put something in his tummy. I can hear it growling and it's already showing a loss of weight. I don't want to cater to him I just want him to eat his dry food. He's bullheaded in that way. He won't drink a lot either. His poo is dry and falls apart as it comes out from dehydration plus his pee is really really yellow. I'm very concerned about the not eating. He's healthy otherwise. Maybe it could be from being in a new home?

BudDog
Matured Bully

Postby BudDog » Tue May 17, 2005 7:03 pm

It could be the stress of a new home. Ummm....what are you feeding him? Wet food is tricky because once a dog gets used to that taste it's sometimes hard to go back to dry food. You might try the warm water thing. I have had to hand feed my dogs sometimes, but once they start to eat from my hand they want more food and will eat out of their dish. Have you had your dog checked by a Vet. recently? The not eating seems really common with some dogs, but the not drinking thing has me worried. How long ago did you move into a new house? I would really try to get him to at least drink some water. I hope he calms down and starts eating & drinking for you soon. Poor guy:(

Rachel

Salival
Super Bully

Postby Salival » Tue May 17, 2005 7:09 pm

I didn't realize that you only had him for a few days. What was he eating prior to you adopting him and what are you feeding now?

Also are you keeping him active and tiring him out? This may help boost his appitite as well if he has not been very active.

I would however recommend getting him to a vet if you have not taken him. Just as a general rule of thumb I will always bring a new dog to a vet right away in order for my vet to become familiar with the dog and visa versa and also to get his medical history and check up in their system right away in case some emergancy does happen.

barbponys
Health Guru

Postby barbponys » Tue May 17, 2005 7:10 pm

Put some broth or milk in the water to entice him to drink more. Low sodium broth, I'd do one cup per gallon of water.

Return to “Health Issues”