Mother of god..... what did she get into

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Salival
Super Bully

Mother of god..... what did she get into

Postby Salival » Tue May 17, 2005 8:15 am

I am a HEAVY sleeper... this morning was no exception. I vaguely remember hearing my dog whinning and crying in my dream-like world. Seven am rolls around and I finally start hearing the alarm that has been going off since 6am..... sh*t I am late.... again.

I sit up and immediately something strong hits me like a sack of bricks.... so strong it knocked me clear on my back and under the covers within seconds.

WHAT THE HELL IS THAT SMELL!!!?

sniff
sniiiiif

:yucky: :yucky:

OMG OMG

I shake the fiance - who works second shift and went to bed a mere couple of hours ago- WHAT IS THAT!? I whisper to him....

He shot straight up and I see the same reaction from him as I had earlier. As we are both holding our hands over our mouths & noses looking at each other with looks of dread, I hear the same whinning as was in my dream earlier.

My poor chloe. Diarrhea was everywhere in her crate as she stood there with a look of embarrasment and sorrow. I have never smelt such foul stink from one of my dogs, ever. I don't know what it was but something really upset her digestive system.

Over a year ago I had surgery that was supposed to make vomiting a physical impossible... I was told that I couldn't do it, and most can't for up to ten years. Well this... this foul excretion did it. And oh god the pain was horrible. What a miserable morning for Chloe and me.... I am sure her ass is on fire and my throat feels like it has been ripped in half. What did she get into :crybaby:

rosiegirl

Postby rosiegirl » Tue May 17, 2005 8:48 am

ugh yuck. I've been through that before, came home from work to diarrhea poo EVERYWHERE!

This was just a few weeks after we got Lillian. Usually we would leave her closed in the bathroom during the day while we were at work, coming home at noon to let both dogs outside to potty and play. Well little Lily was leaving "tootsie rolls" on the bathroom floor so we figured we'd try crating her for 4 hours in the afternoon until the workday was over, she would never mess her crate. BAD IDEA! I've never seen or smelled such a mess in my life. The dog was a mess, the crate and her bed was a mess, and she had sprayed runny poo all over the wall which was 6 feet behind her crate. ICK.

I hope you and your pup are feeling better. It sucks to have to clean up a mess like that :sad:

Salival
Super Bully

Postby Salival » Tue May 17, 2005 9:00 am

Thanks. This is the one of the reasons I don't like to crate a dog(although it is MUCH better than in the house). I feel so bad when they are sick and I see that sad look on their face like they think they did something terribly wrong.

All the food was fresh that they had yesterday (nothing out of the ordinary either), and Chloe's stomach compared to Rue's is iron, so it can't be the food. She didn't get into anything in the house and the only thing I can think of is something outside in the yard. Which really terrifies me. My neighbors are sketchy to me and I have already had a confrontation with them, and I am really hoping that their kids or them did not throw something over the fence to hurt them. I guess it is back to scowering the yard before letting the dogs out again. The only other thing that Chloe had that was different was a kong that I just got. I can't imagine that would throw her into digestive problems though, especially because she was only chewing on it and not injesting anything.

GreddysAngel
Addicted to PBF

Postby GreddysAngel » Tue May 17, 2005 9:03 am

I've been going through the same thing for 2 nights now :yucky:

Im soooo sick of seeing poop :yucky:

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Tue May 17, 2005 10:35 am

sory but I did have to laugh as I went through a similar thing years ago.
I woke up in the middle of the night, dreaming of smelling something so foul my stomach got upset.
I did not see one of my dogs that slept right beside my bed (I had a doogie door at that time so thought she might be sick or something bettter go and see if she was in the yard, large farm and larg yard for the dogs).
I got up, then the smell hit me, it was NOT a dream,squinted my eyes as thought I saw little squiggling things (keep a night ltfe in all rooms). It was maggots!!!
The dog was in the kitchen, eating the most stinking, rottten nasty, covered with maggots, dead thing I have ever seen in my life.
I ran straight to the bathroom too, after being sick, I then had to clean up the mess. It is no fun, walking around picking up maggots from your bedroom, to the hall, to the bathroom to the kitchen, they were crawling everywhere.
I ripped up the carpet in the morning and threw it away, as the smell was not going away. Poor dog ahs to get two baths taht day, she was so smelly.
Hope you have a better day then morning!

rosiegirl

Postby rosiegirl » Tue May 17, 2005 3:27 pm

:yucky: PBLove thats the grossest thing EVER!

roflmao yucky! roflmao

Pitt-terra

Postby Pitt-terra » Tue May 17, 2005 4:14 pm

pblove wrote:sory but I did have to laugh as I went through a similar thing years ago.
The dog was in the kitchen, eating the most stinking, rottten nasty, covered with maggots, dead thing I have ever seen in my life.

:yucky:

Pandora had projectile diarrhea when I first switched her to raw, it was enough to make me almost consider going back to kibble . It looked like someone had taken a paint pressure gun and sprayed her crate, the floor and the wall. I was so confused as to how something that small could have that much poo in it. I vomited the entire time I was cleaning it up. I never want to have to do that again, ever. So yes, i do find it kind of funny & can empathize when it happens to other ppl too.

whiskeyman

Postby whiskeyman » Tue May 17, 2005 4:17 pm

lil tip for cleaning smelly messes.....

Put vic's vaporub on your upper lip to help cover the smell

jeremy

Pitt-terra

Postby Pitt-terra » Tue May 17, 2005 4:31 pm

whiskeyman wrote:lil tip for cleaning smelly messes.....

Put vic's vaporub on your upper lip to help cover the smell

jeremy

Wish i would have thougt about that when it happened. :p i will remeber that tip for future messes.

Thanks Jer

turtle
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby turtle » Tue May 17, 2005 4:52 pm

Oh, I feel for you! Been there and done that... I don't think there's much worse. Except not putting your glasses on and stepping in big cold runny piles all over your carpet. Ewww!!! The smell... the mess... (And pblove, that's disgusting, I hope my dog never does that!)

Salival
Super Bully

Postby Salival » Tue May 17, 2005 5:45 pm

Pblove that is horrible! I don't think I would have handled that any differently either. The carpet would be ripped up immediately :yucky: I remember when my AB brought in a dead squirrel once and it took us about 15 minutes to realize that it was not a rope from outside :eek: Thankfully he was still a puppy and had not ripped it open in the house before we figured out what it was.

Jeremy I will have to remember that. I won't bother with the lip though I will stick it right in my nose. :))

Coming home tonight was one of those times when you weren't sure if you wanted to open the door and when you do you kind of half stick your head in a take a quick whiff of the air to see if the crate was violated again. Thanfully it was not. A little probiotic and just a little beef and she has not had a problem since. Her stool (although almost nonexistant after this morning) was much better.

happy_pitbull

Postby happy_pitbull » Tue May 17, 2005 5:54 pm

Oh the stories I could tell of diarrhea from wall to wall in our apartment, all through the rugs...sooo gross! We had to scrub and scrub and air the place out for weeks after!! I only wish she had been in a crate when it happened, it would have been more confined!

Tigger and Peaches became deathly ill once after munchin down on something in the field where we used to walk them to do their business. We tried to stop them from eating what-ever it was, but it was gone before we could even attempt to dig it out of their mouths..the gluttens. We even had to make an emergency vet visit with Tigger over this incident....they both got VERY sick..for about 4 to 5 days each, and about a week apart...so Tigger got sick first for a few days, then as he was getting better Peaches got sick. The vet did not know what it was either, just said they had probably eaten something bad or rotten. Sometimes I think they were poisoned, as we had neighbours that were kinda weird, and I dont think they cared for our dogs, and we seen them late late one night down in this field doing something..?? placing poison?? I will never know.

The dogs also like to eat cat crap... :yucky: ..they absolutley love the stuff..and when it is buried in a filed they know right where it is and will try to drag you right to it..so they may have eaten that also?? There had also been something going around that summer..although my vet had not heard of it, a vet of a friends of mine had..and he had said that it could be found in stagnant water etc..and that it was easily caught by dogs..and that it would kill the very young or very old.....my two got soo sick it terrified me.

They didnt eat the entire time..for like 4 days, and they would not even drink water!! But you knew they had wanted too, as they would stand over the water dish and hang their head, and just look at it, sometimes they would just lay down beside it..it was soo sad and scarey! I would take a little cup and actually forced some water down them, as I was scared they would dehydrate, but after I took them to the vet, he said not to give them any water either, just to watch that they don't get too dehydrated?? Is this strange ?? They would puke and puke, with the dry heaves, and they looked soo sad..standing there, head down, and back hunched up like their belly hurt..which I think it did. They also had the most powerful bouts of direahhea that I ever witnessed..and it smelled like death itself...I mean like pure rot..I have smelled lots of doggy do before, with the runs and all, but nothing ever like this.....some of it even had blood in it. I sat up for nights on end with them, so worried about them. Tigger even lost control of his bowels while he was just lying there!! We eneded up with two emergency visits to the vet, but he said just watch them, and make sure they dont get too dehydrated...and showed me the springy skin test around the neck to check and see how dehydrated your dog is. Anyways....I really thought they were going to die, and I was going to kill my vet for not taking me more serious and doing more tests! He didn't even run any tests, just told me what was wrong with them after looking them over! Guess I am an over protective mother!!

Anywho...Sorry for the super long post...just a long-winded sick doggy story!! Sorry!! :oops: Hope your doggy is feeling better soon, if not, do take them to the vet asap! Like you said, maybe your neighbours did something! That is what I was worried about when my two got deathly sick! Keep us posted.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Tue May 17, 2005 6:51 pm

well, glad I am not the only one with the stinky poo stories roflmao
Glad your baby is back to normal Sal!
I have been out longer then expected, and did the same thing, open the door, tooke a sniff, before I actually came in, but have noticed if somone has an accidnet, the two little dogs are hiding in the bedroom and Paige is standing in her crate and NOT barking to get out. :tongue:

gretafrasheta

Postby gretafrasheta » Tue May 17, 2005 7:10 pm

My dog has had nasty nasty diarrhea for 3 days now. We take her outside many many times during the day in which she will only do #1. Then she waits until we have been asleep for about 2 hours then bombs away. We fed her a can of wet dog food a couple days ago but I didn't think it would upset her this much. Any thoughts?

Salival
Super Bully

Postby Salival » Tue May 17, 2005 7:17 pm

gretafrasheta wrote:My dog has had nasty nasty diarrhea for 3 days now. We take her outside many many times during the day in which she will only do #1. Then she waits until we have been asleep for about 2 hours then bombs away. We fed her a can of wet dog food a couple days ago but I didn't think it would upset her this much. Any thoughts?

Have you fed her since the first diarrhea explosion? If she is still having the runs I would say take her off food for a day and just give her lots of water, and maybe a probiotic or kaopectate(sp?) as directed by your vet.

If it does not clear up within 24 hours and that method I would take a stool sample into the vet and get her a check up.

If it does clear up when you start to feed her again make sure it is BLAND food. Overcooked rice and boiled burger/chuck/chicken, and in small portions at first.

After dealing with sick fosters, sensitive stomached dogs, etc... I have grown accustomed to diarrhea, but I will never get used to it happening in the house and I hope I never smell something like that again! I just thought I would share my horror of a morning and hope to make someone's day a little brighter by knowing that their day could have been a lot worse... and painful! ;)

Return to “Health Issues”