New line of Parxo?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Cindy

New line of Parxo?

Postby Cindy » Thu May 19, 2005 6:29 pm

Has any one heard of a new line of Parxo? I had a friend at work tell me that the vet he uses says the is a new type out. He says it is alot more drastic. It is able to kill a dog in about 12 hours. Has any one heard of this an know any thing about it? :sad:

hookilau

Postby hookilau » Thu May 19, 2005 9:09 pm

what is parxo?

Sukari

Postby Sukari » Thu May 19, 2005 10:38 pm

I'm guessing he/she means parvo. As to a new strain, there is definitely a buzz out there in the veterinary world about it, however, as the more common strains become resistant to current treatments & meds, it is inevitable that new mutations evolve. We can only hope to encourage dog owners to vaccinate properly (you wouldn't believe the amount of people who tell me that they inject the "liquid stuff" in one of the bottles in the dog but for the life of them coudn't figure out how to get the "powder stuff" out :wallbang: ) & at the correct age & to take proper care of their pups/dogs.

I'm here in Louisiana & we are seeing a huge surge in the number of parvo cases coming in. However, I'm not sure if it's because of a larger regional spread of the virus or an increase in ignorant people (most of what I've seen I suspect it's the latter.....had a person bring in 2 litters of pups..pit bulls & gsds parvo dogs then complain how they're going to have to charge buyers more to cover the cost of treatments :whip: )

dopeychristy

Postby dopeychristy » Thu May 19, 2005 10:45 pm

I heard that once a dog is over 3 years old it is very rare for them to get parvo.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Fri May 20, 2005 10:30 am

(you wouldn't believe the amount of people who tell me that they inject the "liquid stuff" in one of the bottles in the dog but for the life of them coudn't figure out how to get the "powder stuff" out

Are you bull sheeting me??
UN be lieve able, freaking people! :po:

hookilau

Postby hookilau » Fri May 20, 2005 3:17 pm

Ooooooo. I could'nt for the life of me figure it out...at first I thought it was a typo, but then the OP repeated it so I thought it was some new product or something.

Here in NY we have'nt experienced any particularly virulent strains but if it's going around, unfortunately, we'll probably see some.

We deal with several pet stores and here on long island, the majority of parvo and upper respiratory cases are their youngsters. Since the stores get pups from all over, having them shipped in on a regular basis, I suppose we'll see or hear something about this soon.

Salival
Super Bully

Postby Salival » Tue May 24, 2005 9:47 am

Sukari wrote: We can only hope to encourage dog owners to vaccinate properly (you wouldn't believe the amount of people who tell me that they inject the "liquid stuff" in one of the bottles in the dog but for the life of them coudn't figure out how to get the "powder stuff" out :wallbang: ) & at the correct age & to take proper care of their pups/dogs.

I'm here in Louisiana & we are seeing a huge surge in the number of parvo cases coming in. However, I'm not sure if it's because of a larger regional spread of the virus or an increase in ignorant people (most of what I've seen I suspect it's the latter.....had a person bring in 2 litters of pups..pit bulls & gsds parvo dogs then complain how they're going to have to charge buyers more to cover the cost of treatments :whip: )

roflmao roflmao Couldn't figure out how to get the powder out lol Those are the people that should not be giving the injections themselves. But everyone's got to learn at some point I guess.

I have always noticed that of course spring seems to be puppy season, but I have always contributed the warmer weather in factor as well with the outbreaks. A lot like the worm invasions. But people never seem to get it that Parvo can exist in environments for up to 6 months :po:

Parvo is a scary thing, and I feel for those that have to deal with it, especially the vets :((

Peerless
Matured Bully

Postby Peerless » Tue May 24, 2005 10:06 am

peerless is a parvo survivor and it isn't something that you want to go through, i can tell you that. and it was prob our fault that he got it cause we had him around too many other dogs before he had his last set of shots. we were so concerned with socializing him we didn't think about the consequences. we even took him to a pet expo and he played with all the dogs needing a home. i'm sure one of the pup's exposed him to it. now we have to warn all of our neighbors that share common property to make sure that they have their dogs vaccinated.(we did clean up with bleach as best we could but i would have felt terrible if a neighbors dog got sick cause of us) my question is; the vet said that since peerless has survived parvo he will not get it again does that mean that he will not be at risk of contracting another strand? or would the effects just be less?

Sukari

Postby Sukari » Tue May 24, 2005 11:16 am

the vet said that since peerless has survived parvo he will not get it again does that mean that he will not be at risk of contracting another strand? or would the effects just be less?

As your dog is a survivor, :)) , he has developed an immunity to it. One thing that is currently being studied though, is how does that immunity compare to the immunity a dog receives through vaccinations....i.e. is it the same? will the dog that actually had the full blown virus have a longer acting immunity? Right now we treat those pups that have had parvo & those that didn't due to vacc. induced immunity the same. both need to continue vaccinations throughout their life to keep their dogs healthy.

And in response to the pet store problem, we too are seeing an increased number of parvo cases & distemper cases from dogs purchased at petstores. Namely Petland has been a big problem in our area since it opened. And we see approx. 3 distemper cases to 1 parvo cases in pups purchased from that store. It's a sad, sad world out there. :sad:

barbponys
Health Guru

Postby barbponys » Tue May 24, 2005 11:22 am

Sukari wrote:
the vet said that since peerless has survived parvo he will not get it again does that mean that he will not be at risk of contracting another strand? or would the effects just be less?

As your dog is a survivor, :)) , he has developed an immunity to it. One thing that is currently being studied though, is how does that immunity compare to the immunity a dog receives through vaccinations....i.e. is it the same? will the dog that actually had the full blown virus have a longer acting immunity? Right now we treat those pups that have had parvo & those that didn't due to vacc. induced immunity the same. both need to continue vaccinations throughout their life to keep their dogs healthy.

And in response to the pet store problem, we too are seeing an increased number of parvo cases & distemper cases from dogs purchased at petstores. Namely Petland has been a big problem in our area since it opened. And we see approx. 3 distemper cases to 1 parvo cases in pups purchased from that store. It's a sad, sad world out there. :sad:

I would expect some of that has to do with the fact that most of those pups are transported at way to young an age. They are taken from the "mill" at 5 or 6 weeks, the transport co's. can fit more pups in a load if they are smaller, or lighter. It's a sick f*cking industry and they should all be shot.

Peerless
Matured Bully

Postby Peerless » Tue May 24, 2005 1:04 pm

Sukari wrote:As your dog is a survivor, :)) , he has developed an immunity to it. One thing that is currently being studied though, is how does that immunity compare to the immunity a dog receives through vaccinations....i.e. is it the same? will the dog that actually had the full blown virus have a longer acting immunity? Right now we treat those pups that have had parvo & those that didn't due to vacc. induced immunity the same. both need to continue vaccinations throughout their life to keep their dogs healthy.

Yea, you are correct. Our vet didn't tell us that he had no chance of ever getting it again but just that his chances are very slim and that we will do titers rather then just vaccinate for it. She said that she hasn't ever seen a repeat parvo case but that studies show that it can occur. My question is if another strand starts to make it's way around wouldn't he be just as at risk as a pup that has not had it before? (both dogs being vaccinated)

Return to “Health Issues”