Anyone have a quick fix...

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Bustersmama
Addicted to PBF

Anyone have a quick fix...

Postby Bustersmama » Fri May 27, 2005 10:28 am

Anyone have a quick fix for a REALLY itchy dog, he is so itchy all the time. we will see the vet next week, and I have ordered some conditioner online, but does anyone have a "fix" for right now? Thanks.

He itches his belly, almost constantly.

clostoyo

Postby clostoyo » Fri May 27, 2005 10:34 am

Where do you live @? what do you feed? outside or inside dog? what dog shampoo do you use?

Bustersmama
Addicted to PBF

Postby Bustersmama » Fri May 27, 2005 10:37 am

clostoyo wrote:Where do you live @? what do you feed? outside or inside dog? what dog shampoo do you use?

New dog to the house, he is currently eating a mix of what he came to me eating and....i know this is bad, but I am still learning...IAMS. I am in the process of ordering him and my girl new dog food. He did not have these itchy problems before he arrived. I live in super hot and muggy, but still purty Savannah, ga.

I use an oatmeal based shampoo and conditioner.

hope that helps

clostoyo

Postby clostoyo » Fri May 27, 2005 10:46 am

Ok have you checked him for ticks or fleas? iams as you know has loads of corn dogs overheat in such high input of corn because its hard for them to digest it, thats the problem i had with my male i fed him purina pro plan wich is full of corn and a week after i switched to a holistic food with no corn, it was like a miracle no itching everithing was gone. also give him lots of fresh water if you can put ice in it. Go to pets mart and get the Derm Care oatmeal shampoo and give him a goog bath with that. Try to switch the food asap, check for the flea thing, it could be some kind of alergy to the place you moved into, if these things dont work take him to a vet, these things worked for me and i might not work for you. hope this helps.

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Fri May 27, 2005 12:49 pm

If you can get him to sit in the tub for a bit, you can try soaking him for 10-15 minutes in warm water and epsom salts (about 1/2 to 1 cup of epsom salt per tub). What food are you switching him to? Try to get him on a food w/minimal grain, like Timberwolf of Nature's Variety. Nature's Variety Venison kibble works well for dogs w/allergies.

Bustersmama
Addicted to PBF

Postby Bustersmama » Fri May 27, 2005 1:09 pm

concreterose wrote:If you can get him to sit in the tub for a bit, you can try soaking him for 10-15 minutes in warm water and epsom salts (about 1/2 to 1 cup of epsom salt per tub). What food are you switching him to? Try to get him on a food w/minimal grain, like Timberwolf of Nature's Variety. Nature's Variety Venison kibble works well for dogs w/allergies.

I am (after reading through this forum) switching him to Canidae, I just ordered a bag, and an air tight container online. I gave him a bath yesterday with an Aloe Vera/Oatmeal shampoo, from 1800petmeds web site. it didnt seem to help though. No way will he soak, unless I sit on him! ( he doesnt protest during a bath, but he gets all quiet and head goes down...so I dont think he will lay.)

Since he is new to my house, and did not have this problem prior, i am hopeing he is not allergic to anything I use in the house. Or maybe Ginger....

Thanks everyone

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Fri May 27, 2005 2:10 pm

Oatmeal shampoo never worked for my dogs, either. Try the epsom salt, but he's got to soak in it for a bit. Canidae is a good food. Give him at least six weeks on it to see if it helps. Some dogs are allergic to the sunflower oil in it, my dog was. You may want to look for a food w/out it since he has issues w/itching and you don't know why.

Salival
Super Bully

Postby Salival » Fri May 27, 2005 2:22 pm

You also might want to look into supplementing more omegas :) I use Martin's K9 Energol and Anti-Oxidant formulas, and I alternate. If you want to use both you can supplement one the first day the second formula the second day and rotate that way or one each month (that is what I do).

www.martinsk9formula.com

Honestly 100% better than purchasing Missing Link from PetCo, as it is cheaper, a better formula, and you get MUCH more for the money. I think ML is about 16 oz for about $25-$30 while Energol is 40 or 42 oz for $25 or $30 (I don't remember).

Bustersmama
Addicted to PBF

man i feel dumb

Postby Bustersmama » Fri May 27, 2005 2:47 pm

Well thanks everyone, I am so glad I did find this forum, apparently I am doing everything wrong. (IAMS, Missing LInk..etc...)

Well its all about to change, hopefully this will make my dogs happier and healthier.

Talk to you all soon. :))

X-girl

Postby X-girl » Fri May 27, 2005 2:59 pm

My dog also started reacting to the Canidae and has been GREAT on Nature's Variety Venison. We supplement with Missing Link - it is really quite good. You are doing nothing wrong by using that supplement, just get off the Iams as soon as you can.

Good luck!

Bustersmama
Addicted to PBF

ty

Postby Bustersmama » Fri May 27, 2005 3:19 pm

I will get off the IAMS ASAP. I was niave to the fact they not only animal tested and that thei :tongue: r ingredients left alot to be desired. thanks again.

Bryan422

Postby Bryan422 » Sat May 28, 2005 11:48 pm

Hydrocortzone spray relieves itching. Hope I spelled that right. It is available at any local pet store

barbponys
Health Guru

Postby barbponys » Sun May 29, 2005 12:00 am

Get some fish oil, salmon is best, and start giving it to him everyday as well. Most diets don't have enough omega 3 fatty acids. He's getting tons of omega 6 with the Missing Link, time to balance them out with some fish oil. It will make a huge difference.

HartagoldAST

Re: Anyone have a quick fix...

Postby HartagoldAST » Sun May 29, 2005 12:35 am

Bustersmama wrote:Anyone have a quick fix for a REALLY itchy dog, he is so itchy all the time. we will see the vet next week, and I have ordered some conditioner online, but does anyone have a "fix" for right now? Thanks.

He itches his belly, almost constantly.

Well since you wanted a QUICK fix, changing the dog food & supplementing isn't going to help TODAY. (Please do it tho, Iams is crap lol)

Benadryl will help, check with your vet for dosage.

And go to the pet store and get Nova Pearls Coal Tar Shampoo and use it according to directions. Don't get it in their eyes, mouth, etc. This is really good for itchy dogs, and doesn't dry out the coat like other coal tar shampoos.

Pb2Au

Postby Pb2Au » Sun May 29, 2005 7:19 pm

If it's from an allergic reaction to something, 1mg/lb body weight every 8 hours will help. Even if it's from shampoo, food, etc, a little plain benedryl should help, at least until the real cause can be found and changed. I don't hear innova mentioned on this board very frequently, but I feed Innova Puppy right now, and I've also heard good things about Chicken Soup for the Dog lover's Soul... which is a little cheaper (it's almost a generic innova).

Return to “Health Issues”