frequent washing?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
gypsydog

frequent washing?

Postby gypsydog » Mon May 30, 2005 11:39 pm

Okay I didnt want to hijack the other thread. I have always been in the camp that rarely ever washes my dogs as I figure their bodies were pretty much designed to not be washed. I always thought it might be bad for the skin. I may wash twice a year maybe 3 times but no more. 3 would be pushing it now that I think about it. I have a friend though that washes his Boxer's all of the time with no obvious problems. Have any of you guys ever seen problems from frequent washing or from not washing hardly ever. I do clean ears, and trim toe nails pretty regularly but typically skip the wash. What do yall think is a realistic amount?

hookilau

Postby hookilau » Tue May 31, 2005 12:42 am

hmmmm, that depends. I wash my dogs once a month and more frequent when they get dirty. They all get a fatty supplement in their diet for their skin and coats.

I have washed the snapperhead as often as every 3 days per DVM's advice with Ketaconazole shampoo as part of the tx regimen for demodex and the only thing I noticed was an increase in visible dander.

Of course I also condition after every shampoo too! :))

I also own a sphynx (rescue), since she has very little to no hair, her body oils deposit directly onto the skin. When she has'nt been bathed, I can only describe the texture of her skin as 'tacky'...bleh.

She needs to be scrubbed well as often as necessary to keep her clean, which works out to once a month. She even has her own bath scrubby!
She also secretes an increased amount (compared to the regular DSH) of ear wax and this needs to be cleaned as often as she gets bathed.

To me, it's safe to say that as long as you're not seeing increased dandruff, dry skin and dry or flakey coat after you bathe then all is good with the world. That is, with the sleek short haired dogs.

O, and Yum-Yum (sphynx) also gets a dash of moisturizer to her skin after her bath. :))Image

X-girl

Postby X-girl » Tue May 31, 2005 12:46 am

Sorry this is Off-Topic but:

I love Yum-Yum!! :inlove:

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Tue May 31, 2005 12:51 am

I wash mine at least once a month, more if they need it for any reason. They sleep in my bed, so I want them to be clean! They are naturally pretty clean, but do get a doggy odor if I go more than a month without bathing them.

I could bathe them more than that, I'm just too lazy to do so. Dogs can be bathed pretty frequently without harm, as long as it's dog shampoo being used.

hookilau

Postby hookilau » Tue May 31, 2005 1:24 am

:)) is'nt she precious when she's smiling? roflmao

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Tue May 31, 2005 6:36 am

I probably bath mine every two to three months. If they smell before than, I'll bathe them more often, but that's rare unless they've rolled in something. Late fall, they get a bath, and that's usually it until the end of winter.

Precious_Jasmine
Newborn Bully

Postby Precious_Jasmine » Tue May 31, 2005 8:45 am

hookilau wrote:hmmmm, that depends. I wash my dogs once a month and more frequent when they get dirty. They all get a fatty supplement in their diet for their skin and coats.

I have washed the snapperhead as often as every 3 days per DVM's advice with Ketaconazole shampoo as part of the tx regimen for demodex and the only thing I noticed was an increase in visible dander.

Of course I also condition after every shampoo too! :))

I also own a sphynx (rescue), since she has very little to no hair, her body oils deposit directly onto the skin. When she has'nt been bathed, I can only describe the texture of her skin as 'tacky'...bleh.

She needs to be scrubbed well as often as necessary to keep her clean, which works out to once a month. She even has her own bath scrubby!
She also secretes an increased amount (compared to the regular DSH) of ear wax and this needs to be cleaned as often as she gets bathed.

To me, it's safe to say that as long as you're not seeing increased dandruff, dry skin and dry or flakey coat after you bathe then all is good with the world. That is, with the sleek short haired dogs.

O, and Yum-Yum (sphynx) also gets a dash of moisturizer to her skin after her bath. :))Image

Wow. What a beautiful kitty. I love Sphinx Cats. I would love to find one, but they are so had to find for adoption.

whiskeyman

Postby whiskeyman » Tue May 31, 2005 9:05 am

I was mine as often s neded. This could be two times in the same week, two times ina month, or two times in six months. It just depends on whether or not they need it. In between baths I wipe them down with baby wipes this keeps them pretty clean and smelling good.

Your dogs are outside dogs arent they gypsy? I would think two or three times a year is plenty often enough. Since you arent bathing them that often though I would make sure to check them for ticks pretty often though.

jeremy

hookilau

Postby hookilau » Tue May 31, 2005 10:23 am

Hey precious, I saw a 2 brothers on PetFinder recently. I adopted YumYum from the animal hospital where i work. Can you believe one of our surgeons got this cat for his 4 yr old daughter?...she freaked out and could not be convinced it would be a nice companion as she could'nt get over the appearance...poor kid, probably scarred for life lol

these guys sure are quirky too!...she's so social and because she's naturally heat seeking will sleep in pots on my stove. :roll:

I got her as an adult, she was to be a queen but the breeder found a more ideal specimen, so our surgeon took her (he was a friend of the breeder), got her spayed and had been hounding me to take her home for like 3 months while he simultaneously tried to convince his daughter. I eventually caved because she was such a character!

X-girl

Postby X-girl » Tue May 31, 2005 10:27 am

hookilau wrote:these guys sure are quirky too!...she's so social and because she's naturally heat seeking will sleep in pots on my stove. :roll:

No she does NOT!! roflmao

hookilau

Postby hookilau » Tue May 31, 2005 12:09 pm

Ooooo ya. :roll:
she's such a goofball....I've tried stacking the stove high nesting pots....she still manages to get in there. i have to keep the entire stove layered with pots as she will lay all across all lumpety bumpety half up, half down on the range. It's the pilot light that keeps here there like a moth to a flame.

i've also tried putting a fitted wooden board on there, she manages to push it out of the way....I've tried heating pads but have to keep refilling the hot water bottles and it's a pain because as soon as the bottles get cool, she wants no part of it...can't use the electircal ones, afraid of burns...

Can't use a window perch, she'll get sunburned...she's a character that one!
roflmao

Corliss797

Postby Corliss797 » Tue May 31, 2005 1:37 pm

She must feel so neat!! i wanna pet her!

futon_king

Postby futon_king » Tue May 31, 2005 4:09 pm

No disrespect but is just me or does yum-yum kinda look like the gremlins?

:headbang:

gypsydog

Postby gypsydog » Tue May 31, 2005 6:25 pm

Yeah, my dogs are outside alot but they are indoor dogs per se. We have a doggy door so they go out and come in at will normally. We don't have a problem with fleas or ticks being as we live in the desert. And not to mention our back yard is 100% dirt. I havent had to use flea preventatives in two years. Gypsy does sleep on the bed but we just have to wash our covers more often, lol. Just curious as to what people thought seems I could be bathing a tad more regularly.

Okay, on a side note what shampoos does everyone use.

X-girl

Postby X-girl » Tue May 31, 2005 7:39 pm

We use Halo's Cloud 9 dog shampoo. I love the smell of it and it does a good job.

Here's a link: http://www.wellbeings.com/products/?ii=halo-cloudnineshampoo

Return to “Health Issues”