The "Hartz" email....

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
McGoose
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

The "Hartz" email....

Postby McGoose » Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:14 pm

.....i'm sure others on this board have gotten the email about the woman with a chihuaua who used Hartz shampoo and it had seizures and almost died. I looked it up on Snopes and found nothing.

Is it genuine?? I have a hard time believing that Hartz products kill thousands of animals, yet nobody's bothered to mention it.....

Diane Jessup

re

Postby Diane Jessup » Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:23 pm

That seems to be an internet thing. People with too much time on their hands make up stories and dog people tend to swallow them hook line and sinker. Like Febreeze, and Eukanuba and Rymadel and other stuff that will kill your dog dead if they look at it.

Hartz flea topical IS bad stuff, but their soap and stuff won't hurt. However, do not use the topical flea treatment. Get it from the vet.

Pitty-pat

Postby Pitty-pat » Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:24 pm

Until someone showed me proof, study citation, and reason for seizure and death, I would be disinclined to believe it.

I've seen too many email horror stories, the old "friend of a friend of a friend's cousin's next doorneighbor's mailman" phooey to put much stock in anything. Snopes is your friend, but common sense should be your spouse.

Phi

Postby Phi » Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:27 pm

that sounds dumb :bully:

McGoose
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby McGoose » Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:29 pm

Thanks. That's what I thought.....but the person I got the email from got the email from a very dog knowledgeable person. Of course, not as knowledgeable as this board, but i'm suprised she'd get duped by this.

Regardless of whether or not it's true, I do know Hartz is the Prell of the dog shampoo world.

Diane Jessup

re

Postby Diane Jessup » Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:51 pm

Don't get me wrong, Hartz makes some bad crap. In fact, a lot of the Hartz stuff donated to the shelter gets chucked (like their flea topical) but I disregard anything that comes over the email like that.

yuk237

Postby yuk237 » Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:41 pm

Hartz sucks try doing a search it has been mentioned on here. Go to www.hartzvictims.com or .org I am not sure. :yucky:

Sukari

Postby Sukari » Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:19 pm

Is it genuine?? I have a hard time believing that Hartz products kill thousands of animals, yet nobody's bothered to mention it.....

I would not call this an "internet" thing. There is a serious study going on on the safety of Hartz products specifically the topspot flea treatment. The cat version is killing cats by the hundreds & the number of dogs become seriously ill (vomiting, diarrhea, seizures) & dying are on the rise. Our clinic alone has treated 17 animals in the past month of Hartz toxicity. All of the clinics in this area are documenting these cases & yes, they will be reported. Vets all across the state have noticed this problem & are trying to do something about it. So in my opinion, I would stay far, far away from Hartz flea meds for cats & dogs. Why be a new statistic?

jesseandalecia
Super Bully

Postby jesseandalecia » Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:58 pm

abman
Matured Bully

Postby abman » Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:52 am

A friends cat had a problems after using the hartz flea and tick. The cat is fine now but too many animals have had problems from some of hartz products.

The vet said they get a few cats each month that have tremors etc after using the some of the products.I havent heard about any problems from the shampoo but i refuse to use anything from hartz.

lpyrbby
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby lpyrbby » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:07 pm

Bumping this so the noobs can visit the website if they haven't already.

Those stories are absolutely terrifying...

miette
Adolescent Bully

rescue

Postby miette » Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:09 pm

Sunny's rescue had a friend that used Hartz on their pit for fleas. It was one of those tubes that you break and the oil comes out. Their dog had 2nd degree burns and had to go to the vet for treatment. yikes.
I stay away from Hartz.

LindsaySF
Bully Ambassador

Postby LindsaySF » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:16 pm

Scary!

Don't buy Hartz, or any of the cheap stuff. Go with Frontline! :thumbsup:

Return to “Health Issues”