Anal sac drainage?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Anal sac drainage?

Postby APBT_lover » Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:09 pm

Yesterday, Trapp was sitting on the couch and when he got up I noticed a large wet spot. I know he didn't pee on the couch, so I figured he was wet from playing in the grass outside and just cleaned it up. Well it happened again today. This time, I smelled the spot and it didn't smell like poop, but it definitley had a stench to it, almost like a dirty, sweaty, foul smell.

My cat's anal gland gets clogged pretty regularaly and we take him to the vet to have it squeezed, but he usually lets us know when it's time because he has a hard time passing stool and drags his butt all over the place. Trapp hasn't been doing any of this. Do you think it's possible the gland was leaking while he was sitting on the couch? I tried to inspect his butt and didn't notice any drainage, but this was while he was standing and I figure it'd be easier to leak while sitting. Any of ya'll had experience with this?
APBT_lover

Postby Shattering Glass » Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:14 pm

anal gland secretions are the most awful smell in the world! lol Thats probably what it was, usually, if the dog's stool is firm enough, they will secrete normally when he poops, but if his stools are too soft, the glands can become clogged and need to be expressed manually.
Shattering Glass

Postby pblove » Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:12 pm

usually when the anal glands leak, the dogs are very persistent in "cleaning" it up too. :yucky:
it smells like rotten fish to me.
I just took one of my little dogs in to have his expressed, as he was starting to scoot a lot, hasn't scooted since it was emptied.
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby Phi » Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:22 pm

ewwwwww lol
Phi

Postby Erika » Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:18 pm

Anal sac drainage= fancy word for butt juice.

:yucky:

They should be expressed manually. You can learn to do it, but most people ususally elect to pay the 15 bucks and have the vet risk getting squirted in the face, not themselves.
Erika
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby Diamonds Ruff » Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:19 pm

I just took my older puppy in because I was going to have the groomers do it but they told me that bigger dogs are usually able to do it themselves. My dog only scooted her butt on the floor one time and she hasn't done it since so I believe what they said. After all, they could have not told me that and let me pay them to do it.
Diamonds Ruff

Postby Noriko525 » Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:36 pm

Ok, good to know they can leak... it explains alot! Sativa has never had butt juice probems, but there have been a few "spots" that show up places and don't smell like pee but smell nasty and she will lick and lick and lick and lick and lick and lick and I'll pull her away and tell her to go so I can clean it up but she comes back to lick the spot even more... Now I know what it is and why I will never again stick my face in these spots to smell if it's pee or not!

Still learning new things everyday :thumbsup:

One question though... when they leak, is there a reason why? It seems that it only happens when she's sleeping or resting and she'll wake up all the sudden to clean it up. It's almost like her butt is just leaking because she's relaxed :huh?:
Noriko525
Bully Ambassador

Postby MustangGT » Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:44 pm

I work at an animal hospital, so I'm very familiar with the whole "anal gland" situation, unfortunately. So when it was time for me to get a puppy, the first thing I thought of was....."I hope I don't get one of those dogs that needs it anal glands expressed all the time." Well what did I get? A dog that every time I turned around I could smell that she released them. :yucky: This may not work for every dog, but I put my dog on Wellness Fish and Sweet Potato and the problem totally went away. I ran out a week ago and I gave her some of her old food and the problem immediatley returned. The Wellness smells awful, but it doesn't compare to the anal glands, thats for sure.
MustangGT

Postby happy_pitbull » Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:52 pm

My dogs all have the same problem, just thank god it does not happen too too often...one will jump up from sleeping and the other too will lick lick lick away..and the stinky dead fish smell!!

eeewwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!

Anyways, I read somewhere before that when they relax sometimes they just release the anal gland juice......which reminds me....a friend was over one day with one of my dogs on his lap, and she was all relaxed and...bamo!! He had it all over his pants, but back then we really were not familiar with it, and he did not mention any smell or anything. He just sat there then left later on......we figured out what had happend after he left...as the smell lingered in the chair he had been sitting in, and on the dogs butt!!

roflmao roflmao roflmao
happy_pitbull

Postby Diamonds Ruff » Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:55 pm

:yucky: ewwww...your friend didn't say anything at all about his dog releasing it? Did he just act like nothing happened?? roflmao
Diamonds Ruff

Postby turtle » Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:27 pm

Noriko525 wrote:One question though... when they leak, is there a reason why? It seems that it only happens when she's sleeping or resting and she'll wake up all the sudden to clean it up. It's almost like her butt is just leaking because she's relaxed :huh?:

Mine has butt juice problems, she also leaks when she is asleep, which is why her place on the sofa and her bed have towels on them, those are much easier to wash. I did find that feeding more raw meaty bones helped my dog a lot and she has less leaky butt juice. Something about the bulky poop from the bones expresses the anal glands more...
turtle
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Return to Health Issues