How thin is too thin?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Sat Jun 11, 2005 5:33 pm

Just our American culture, we like our dogs fat, and our women sticklike. For a year old dog, she looks just fine.

Noriko525
Bully Ambassador

Postby Noriko525 » Sat Jun 11, 2005 6:24 pm

Thanks everyone. I've just been so conflicted because it seems like almost every time I take her somewhere or someone who hasnt seen her for a few months makes a comment on her weight. It gets so old and I get so tired of explaining everything over and over!!

Pat (babypony's) has seen her in person and said she looks great and perfectly healthy so I really try not to worry about her weight anymore as I really respect Pat's opinion and I know she would tell me if Sativa was underweight or unhealthy looking.

It's just so interseting to me that people assume I am not feeding her or taking care of her because she has a few ribs showing. :dunno:

Thanks again for all the compliments on Sativa... alot of how she looks is because of changes I've made to her diet and excersize after discovering the forum!!

RescueRules

Postby RescueRules » Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:40 am

I get comments on my Rottweiler female all the time about her being too skinny...my vet said that 95% of dogs you see are overweight (maybe 99% of Rotties :)) ) and that's what people are used to. Your dog looks to be in excellent condition. My partner's daughter has a Pittie X that's looks like a sausage. He keeps telling them the dog is fat but they say it's the breed and they're supposed to look like that. Ignorance rules the world sometimes.

JCleve86
Forum Junky

Postby JCleve86 » Sun Jun 12, 2005 12:22 pm

EagleEye wrote:glossy coat

The easiest way, for me, to tell if a dog is thin/emaciated verses in good condition is to look at the coat. Dogs who aren't getting enough nutrients (i.e. are too thin/emaciated) will have shabby looking coats (dull, maybe a little sparse, dry skin), whereas well conditioned dogs will have nice glossy coats.

Most of the pictures I've seen of Sativa girl look really good...one of the ones you posted here didn't look quite as good as the others, but having the others to reference it against would lead me to say she looks fabulous!

aaron kahn
Bully Ambassador

Postby aaron kahn » Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:51 pm

as everyone has been saying- she looks fine to me...

Return to “Health Issues”