Help...weird bumps on Raplh!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
BullyVW
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Help...weird bumps on Raplh!

Postby BullyVW » Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:13 am

I'll give you the lowdown fast. Raplh is about 15 days behind on his flea meds because they didn't show yet. I know I should have gone to my vet and bought the one single 30 days tube.......but I suck..what can I tell you.

Anyway, here's the problem. He has these hair patches that stick up slightly....all over his back. They showed up within the last 72 hours. Also, at first you couldn't see much under the hair...but now the skin is slightly red...like a small bite. I know he has a mosquito bite on his inner leg...but he seems fine with that.

What can I do for him on a Sunday when nothing is open? I know pet store meds suck, ut is there something at PetSmart I can use so he's no in discomfort?

These almost look liek flea bites...but I can find no fleas. I gave him a bath in his flea shampoo....and it almost appeared as though more bumps showed up. His skin appears rather dry all of a sudden too.

Okay, the only two changes in his life over the last few days are:

1) I started using small amounts of the IAMS gravy on his kibble....and he loves it!

2) He got a new bed from BJ's that he also loves...one side is lamb's wool and the other is courderoy (spelling?). He's had wool things before with no problems.

PLEASE HELP...I feel so bad for him. If you think it's fleas.......I'll get to the vet tomorrow and pick up a month sample.

BullyVW
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby BullyVW » Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:14 am

OH...and as an added......GHIA HAS NOTHING WRONG WITH HER. Just in case I did have a sample of biospot (crap, I know) but it has to do something. So, as I said, just in case, I treated her with that for now.

dixieandbacon

Postby dixieandbacon » Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:29 am

my puppy has the same thing i think it is from fleas. my vet told me to give her benadryl one tablet twice a day for 5 days. and to call her if it did not clear up. i use frontline but we have a big flea problem down here.

BullyBreedLover

Postby BullyBreedLover » Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:42 pm

BullyVW shame on you! (from your own vet tech!) It could be fleas some dogs are very hypersensitive to flea bites and one little bite will have them full of a rash and itchy all over. Also it could be allergies. Either way to help with the itching you can give benadryl people size is 25mg 1mg per pound. He most likely will need 50mg or two capsules and you can give this to him up to 3 times a day. Dont keep bathing him flea shampoos can dry and irritated the skin making it worse. GET SOME FRONTLINE! hehe I am off for the week because of sickness....Hope all works out for you! :)

BullyVW
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby BullyVW » Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:07 pm

BullyBreedLover wrote:BullyVW shame on you! (from your own vet tech!) It could be fleas some dogs are very hypersensitive to flea bites and one little bite will have them full of a rash and itchy all over. Also it could be allergies. Either way to help with the itching you can give benadryl people size is 25mg 1mg per pound. He most likely will need 50mg or two capsules and you can give this to him up to 3 times a day. Dont keep bathing him flea shampoos can dry and irritated the skin making it worse. GET SOME FRONTLINE! hehe I am off for the week because of sickness....Hope all works out for you! :)

Listen here young lady...he has frontline....he's just off a few days as his new order isn't here yet! Thanks for yelling at me...I needed that. hey...I need an interceptor prescription............I have almost a year's supply for Ghia because my ex bought it for both of them...when Ralph was only 18 lbs. He's not almost 60 and I need the higher dose! let me know.

always good to have the vet tech yelling at you.

BullyBreedLover

Postby BullyBreedLover » Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:00 pm

Has Ralph been on the interceptor every month? If you skipped a few months he will need to be retested for heartworm for you to start him back up on it. As for fleas Frontline is actually good longer then a month for fleas but needed monthly for ticks. Using it once a month is best but you would see some fleas or flea dirt on his skin. Ha im not at work but it feels like i am...weird.... :tongue:

BullyVW
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby BullyVW » Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:13 pm

BullyBreedLover wrote:Has Ralph been on the interceptor every month? If you skipped a few months he will need to be retested for heartworm for you to start him back up on it. As for fleas Frontline is actually good longer then a month for fleas but needed monthly for ticks. Using it once a month is best but you would see some fleas or flea dirt on his skin. Ha im not at work but it feels like i am...weird.... :tongue:

Yeah, he's been on interceptor....but I never realized until last week that he's been on the lower dosage. It hit me when I was looking online that he needed the white box and he was getting the green box.

gooeydog

Postby gooeydog » Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:19 pm

There is also a pill called Capstar that you can get from your vet (not sure if anyplace else sells them) that kills any fleas on the dog pretty quickly. We use to keep them around just in case we came up short on a flea treatment, or if we got a stray, since we didn't want our dogs to pick up any fleas. Handy to keep around, and not expensive either. Won't help you much right now, but you might ask about getting a pack just to keep on hand if it's common for you to forget (nothing against you, I do the same).

BullyVW
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby BullyVW » Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:27 pm

I'm still not convinced it's fleas. I'm almost positive that it's an allergic reaction. I notice a larger bite/sting on his inner hind leg....he has scratched it open...I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it all.

aaron kahn
Bully Ambassador

Postby aaron kahn » Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:22 am

I would guess an allergic reaction to... a flea bite. Our last foster, Paco, was very itchy/scratchy when he came back to us. The vet told me that the most common allergy is not food, but fleas. One bite can cause the reaction all over that you describe. Frontline kills fleas (very well!) once they have bitten- so there can be no fleas on him, but a bite. Benadryl and Frontline, as already said, and he *may* be just fine! (Paco got better quickly!)

Good luck!

BullyBreedLover

Postby BullyBreedLover » Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:07 am

BullyVW get him in to be checked! hehehe :tongue:

BullyVW
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby BullyVW » Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:06 pm

When do you work next? He seems to be much better now...thanks to some Benedryl.

BullyBreedLover

Postby BullyBreedLover » Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:08 pm

My doctor releases me Thursday. All though i will try to hide out at work since i need to keep sunglasses on. I have something called bells palsy and my left side of my face isnt working right. Supposed to go away but can take a few weeks...Grrrr.... Waiting on blood work to check for lyme disease. Why dont they make frontline for people? hehe Great to hear your little ralphy is feeling better...Benadryl works wonders!

BullyVW
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby BullyVW » Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:13 pm

I know what bels is....sorry to hear that. Sounds dumb.....and I'm being a bit of a salesman here....but how much fish (fatty fish, not McDonald's) do you eat a week? Maintaining your Omega3 levels with a fish oil product has shown significant results in reducing a lot of the problems associated with bels palsy, CB, MS, MD and a few other problems that life throws your way.

Oh, and this evening, Ralph is back to his old self....no more lathargic Ralph. He still has a few bumps and I'm going to continue Bendryl for about a week or so. I'll also give him the oatmeal bath tomorrow night.

BullyBreedLover

Postby BullyBreedLover » Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:21 pm

Do you have an AOL name that you use? HAHA better then posting all this. Mine is Roxystitch626 if you have it. No actually i eat NO FISH. i am picky with meats an eat mostly chicken. I do like shrimp but i dont think that has enough EFA. The doctor says its something with the nerve that usually goes away on its own but sometimes weird disease like lyme and shingles can cause it. Bloodwork is pending. So im on prednisone and an anti-viral. It isnt that bed unless i laugh or try to eat or drink....Could be worse i suppose....

Return to “Health Issues”