dairrhea only at night...

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

dairrhea only at night...

Postby daija » Mon May 31, 2004 7:38 am

our pitbull seems to be in good health, for the most part it has solid stools....we take it out right before we go to bed around 10pm, i take her out at 4am before i go to work..but sometime's she has horrible diarrhea multiple times a night(only at night), we take her food away before we take her out, so she doesn't have any accidents, but obviously that doens't help...

i'm not sure if this is a health issue or not, could it be stress from being inside her cage all night? we're clueless as to what we can do..any suggestions would be greatly appreciated !

btw, she's 3 1/2 months old, is she too young to hold it in all night?
daija

Postby kendall » Mon May 31, 2004 10:48 am

i'm not sure if this is a health issue or not, could it be stress from being inside her cage all night? we're clueless as to what we can do..any suggestions would be greatly appreciated !

Wait it out. I think it's a puppy thing. We used to have the same exact problem with Levi. We were always getting up at 12, 3, and 5 AM, giving the poor bugger a bath and washing his crate out.
If you've been giving her treats, I would stop for awhile and see if that makes a difference. The only food that didn't give Levi the runs was Puppy Chow. NOOO people food, I noticed that would make it extra bad. Also no doggy treats, no rawhide, nothing except water to drink. (My dad gave Levi a little bit of milk once... oy vey it was awful that night).
I would say Levi started to get better by 4 or 5 months, and after 6 months he was totally better. He's never pooped in his crate since 6 months I think.
kendall
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby daija » Mon May 31, 2004 1:55 pm

i think it may be the puppy food we feed her! its eukanuba.. is that ok for her?she dosent get any people food.. but she does get treats and rawhides.. but she only gets 1/2 a treat and its when she goes outside to potty
daija

Postby kendall » Mon May 31, 2004 3:50 pm

Eukanuba isn't the best food. but neither was Puppy Chow, by FAR. It was just that Puppy Chow was what went easiest on Levi's tummy. If you think it's the food, try phasing her into something different.

I'm sure people here would have suggestions about what kind of food is mild and easy on puppy tummys.
kendall
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby daija » Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:25 am

so what kind of food would you recomend?? im going to get a new kind of food today... just was wondering any suggestions..
daija

Postby concreterose » Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:14 am

Check out this thread...it's all about dog food:
http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=502
concreterose
Regulator

Postby daija » Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:49 am

were would i get some of thoses?? i found the nutra and that was it.. so i think ill try that one:) thank you for the help
daija

Postby kazuo » Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:58 am

A lot of the big name stores like Petsmart don't carry these foods. Usually you can go to the manufacturer website and punch in your location info. to find local stores that carry these foods.

For example here are the links for Innova (Natura Pet Products) and Wellness (Old Mother Hubbard)

http://www.naturapet.com/display.php?d=stores-tab
http://www.oldmotherhubbard.com/locator/locator_form.asp
kazuo
Site Admin

Postby daija » Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:11 pm

thank you for those sites.. i went and got solid gold today at an herbal store anyone know how good it is for puppies??
daija

Return to Health Issues