broken nail

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
heatherb
Newborn Bully

broken nail

Postby heatherb » Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:27 pm

Capone broke his nail when he was in his crate. At first we were afraid to cut it, because the break was to far back. He began to lick his paws a lot, but he started to limp to take the pressure off his paw. We then cut his nail so he wouldn't limp anymore. Now the 'meat' is showing. It seems like he isn't bothered by it. He still licks it constantly, but no signs of infections. Should we be worried.

gooeydog

Postby gooeydog » Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:33 pm

I wouldn't be. Our Dachshund use to tear her nails all the time chasing her ball (now they're wore down to little nubs, which don't break, but occasionally wear to the point of bleeding), and I'd just clip up past the break, dip it in betadine or similar antiseptic, and leave it alone. For more serious ones, I'd soak it in epsom salts daily for a few days afterwards, so you might try that. As long as you got all the broken part off though, I'd say just to keep an eye on it.

heatherb
Newborn Bully

Postby heatherb » Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:58 pm

thank you! I was worried for a few days, thinking he was really hurt. It looks as if it doesn't bother him. We were surprised that he allowed us to cut the nail. He is very good about us cutting nails, and cleaning his ears and such. Since his nail was broken I thought Capone would make a fuss.

Return to “Health Issues”