Parvo sucks !

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Parvo sucks !

Postby Skeptik » Sun Jun 06, 2004 11:52 am

My vet told me there was a case of Parvo outbreak around this area, and that I need to keep Keiko isolated to my house and back yard until she is done with all her shots. This really sucks because he said that won't be until she's 4 months old (only 6 weeks old right now). I really wish I could take her with me everywhere to get her exposure to different people/dogs/environments. Plus, I just hate leaving her at home for anything but going to work. Anyone else have to isolate their puppies?
Skeptik

Postby addy's daddy » Sun Jun 06, 2004 12:41 pm

hey skep,

that's a real drag for you guys. I know how you feel about socializing your pup and how important it is.

Keep in mind that parvo can be delivered to your yard as well by birds and even if someone steps in infected poo. It's very hardy and chlorine bleach is the only thing that can kill it.

keep an eye out for rouge poo in your yard and clean it up and wash with chlorine bleach.

also watch your shoes, like i said if you step in it you can bring it home.

Yes, parvo sucks... there's no cure and once contracted its a miserable life for the dog.

better be safe than take a chance with this nasty bug.

bink
addy's daddy

Postby moto1320 » Sun Jun 06, 2004 1:38 pm

Any chance of bringing littermates over that are going through the same thing? It would be a good idea anyway, as pup is too young to be away from them unless circumstance dictates otherwise.
moto1320
Regulator

Postby chewalotopus » Sun Jun 06, 2004 9:27 pm

My pup got parvo when she was about 8 weeks old - from my older dog bringing it home. If you have an older dog that goes outside your yard, you have to be VERY careful with that, too. I fortunately was very lucky, in that I was able to treat my dogs at home with subcutaneous fluids and antibiotics, and they recovered completely from it within a month or so.

If you notice that your pup is unusally lethargic or sleepy; or if it has diarrhea and/or vomiting, take it to the vet IMMEDIATELY!

Be very careful about your shoes - I suggest having shoes that you wear outside your house & yard stay off of your floors and anywhere the pup is allowed completely. Buy a new pair of cheap shoes to wear around the house & in the back yard if you need to wear shoes.

You can take your pup around town to socialize, at least with other people, and to places where the dogs are healthy and completely vaccinated (ask for proof!). Just be sure to carry your dog instead of walking on the ground unless it's indoors on a sterilized floor.

Keep you pup away from fecal matter at all costs! This virus is very hardy and can survive on the ground for months even years. A 10% bleach solution is enough to kill it, and be sure to rinse with clean water afterwards, as the bleach can also make your pup sick if ingested.

Good luck!
chewalotopus

Postby Skeptik » Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:47 am

That is a pretty durable bug. Amazing that it can just survive on the ground for such extended periods of time. Well, I guess I will be extra careful for the next few months. I'm sure she'll be 4 months old with all of her shots in no time, then I'll be in the clear. I just get so worried just knowing that she's MY responsibility. LOL
Skeptik

vaccinated dogs can get parvo

Postby bluesky1966 » Fri Jun 11, 2004 5:57 pm

Be extra careful about keeping your shoes clean when you come in the house or where the puppy hangs out. a 10% bleach in water solution [dip and dry the sole of everyone's shoes] would help kill the parvo virus that can be quickly fatal for a puppy Pit bulls are very susceptible to parvo. If your puppy refuses to eat at the normal feeding time or if the pup is even a little more quiet than usual I would call your vet right away. With an older puppy parvo comes on more gradually, but even vaccinated dogs can get parvo --just a mild case tho'
bluesky1966

Return to Health Issues