white dogs and hearing

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

white dogs and hearing

Postby addy's daddy » Mon Jun 07, 2004 6:29 pm

I was concerned that my white pup would be deaf after reading a few posts on the subject. Luckily she's fine, but got me thinking about the issue of color effecting hearing.

Does anyone have any information about this? Im interested to know more about it.

thanks.
addy's daddy

Postby moto1320 » Mon Jun 07, 2004 10:53 pm

When I have more time I'll try to dig some up. Do a search here. There have been some great threads with very informative links. There was one a while back called "grey colored pitbull" I think. Some guy posted a question and never returned, but it turned into a great thread on coloration and genetics
moto1320
Regulator

Postby barbponys » Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:40 pm

We had wanted to get a white boxer many, many years ago. I remember talking to a vet about it and she was very informative. She said that a lot of people make the mistake of evaluating the pup when other dogs are around. They will react according to their surroudings. Since the dog we ended up with was extremely flashy I did worry about hearing and sight. He was fine though. I remember someone telling me to train with a whistle or something of that nature. Their high end hearing will go last and when they couldn't hear your voice anymore they would be able to hear a whistle?? I don't know if I'm recalling that right. Sorry, it's late and I'm rambling. Good luck.

Pat
barbponys
Health Guru

Return to Health Issues