Top 5 Foods

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
snoopsnoop
Forum Junky

Postby snoopsnoop » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:45 am

bassol808 wrote:
snoopsnoop wrote:
bassol808 wrote:I cant get a hold of any of those foods on the list...the only way is to have it shipped....for now I started feeding Oreo "Nutro" I know its not the best but its one of the best when youre stuck in the middle of the pacific...

I havent been able to get connected with any butchers yet to start Oreo on raw diet....

Where do you live at?

in the middle of the Pacific ocean...on the island of Kauai...not too many options

lol Yea, that would make it fairly difficult to get any good foods. lol (i missed the part about the pacific ocean until reading it just now lol :oops: )

Nutro is not the best food, but it's not a bad food either. Some dogs do really well on Nutro. my dog did not, but the other dogs that live here do fairly well on it.

I think the people who live in places other than the US have the same problem. Wanting to feed a good food with not enough good foods to feed. If Nutro's what ya got, ya gotta feed it. ;)

bassol808
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby bassol808 » Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:12 pm

snoopsnoop wrote:lol Yea, that would make it fairly difficult to get any good foods. lol (i missed the part about the pacific ocean until reading it just now lol :oops: )

Nutro is not the best food, but it's not a bad food either. Some dogs do really well on Nutro. my dog did not, but the other dogs that live here do fairly well on it.

I think the people who live in places other than the US have the same problem. Wanting to feed a good food with not enough good foods to feed. If Nutro's what ya got, ya gotta feed it. ;)

he..he..yeah...thats the bad part about living in Hawaii...hard to get a hold of some good things...

I saw that the feed store I go to has the "Chicken Soup for the Pet Lovers" on hand...I noticed that was listed on another thread as one of the better foods...so Im thinking of switching...I just have to let Oreo finish up his bag of Nutro and then try and start him on the other brand...Ill see how that goes

LA_HERMOSA313

nutro max

Postby LA_HERMOSA313 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:19 pm

I wish i would have read this sooner.....i bought nutro max last week thinking it was good ....(which it's not) and since then i've noticed my dog itching so bad that he's making scabs on himself..i didn't know what was casuing it..i tried shampoo that was full of moisturizers, that didn't work so i was about to take him to the vet tomorrow. but now that im reading this i think it might be the dog food i was giving him. I'm going to switch his food a.s.a.p

ShadowWolf
Forum Junky

Re: nutro max

Postby ShadowWolf » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:41 pm

LA_HERMOSA313 wrote:I wish i would have read this sooner.....i bought nutro max last week thinking it was good ....(which it's not) and since then i've noticed my dog itching so bad that he's making scabs on himself..i didn't know what was casuing it..i tried shampoo that was full of moisturizers, that didn't work so i was about to take him to the vet tomorrow. but now that im reading this i think it might be the dog food i was giving him. I'm going to switch his food a.s.a.p

If you bought it at Petsmart, you can return it for a full refund. :)

Clayton4
Newborn Bully

Postby Clayton4 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:30 pm

Read through many of the posts but not all of them. I used to use EVO when it first came out, the big silver bag. Karma had a bad reaction to it, she broke out in bumps all over her head, lost some hair, and scratched all the time. I changed back to California Natural for awhile, but just reacently order from TimberWolf. I talked this over with a breeder and he seems to think that I should try the EVO again. He says the formula has changed a bit since it first started. Unless bulk order is significantly less for EVO I should stick with the TimberWolf. What are some of your thoughts.

Ronin
Adolescent Bully

Postby Ronin » Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:24 am

I couldent find thoughts on Solid Gold Wolf Cub

Linariel
Addicted to PBF

Postby Linariel » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:57 pm

Clayton4 wrote:Read through many of the posts but not all of them. I used to use EVO when it first came out, the big silver bag. Karma had a bad reaction to it, she broke out in bumps all over her head, lost some hair, and scratched all the time. I changed back to California Natural for awhile, but just reacently order from TimberWolf. I talked this over with a breeder and he seems to think that I should try the EVO again. He says the formula has changed a bit since it first started. Unless bulk order is significantly less for EVO I should stick with the TimberWolf. What are some of your thoughts.

Try searching for EVO on the forum, there's a lot of discussion about it. I don't like it, personally.

I would stick with Timberwolf.

Solid Gold Wolf Cub is okay, but I think it's too pricey for the ingredients.

LA_HERMOSA313

Postby LA_HERMOSA313 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:19 am

well i ended up switching to eagle pack's holistic kibble and the natures variety raw....been mixing them together and my dog goes crazy over the stuff. he's always been a picky eater but he gobbles this stuff up...as far as the itching it's too soon to tell but it seems like he's itching less already.

snoopsnoop
Forum Junky

Postby snoopsnoop » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:31 pm

LA_HERMOSA313 wrote:well i ended up switching to eagle pack's holistic kibble and the natures variety raw....been mixing them together and my dog goes crazy over the stuff. he's always been a picky eater but he gobbles this stuff up...as far as the itching it's too soon to tell but it seems like he's itching less already.

I would recommend not mixing raw and kibble together. Kibble is processed much faster than raw, which can lead to stomach problems and bloat. Bloat is very serious and too often fatal. You can rotate the meals--give one meal kibble and another raw, but don't feed them together.

LA_HERMOSA313

Postby LA_HERMOSA313 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:48 am

oh ok i didn't know that...thanx for the advice :))

MyloveMydog
Newborn Bully

Postby MyloveMydog » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:54 am

What are the thoughts on natures recipe? I'm feeding the fish formula currently because the puppy has HORRIBLE allerigies.

Has anyone heard of Harmony pet food??
http://www.harmonypetproducts.com/

Thoughts??

snoopsnoop
Forum Junky

Postby snoopsnoop » Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:54 pm

MyloveMydog wrote:What are the thoughts on natures recipe? I'm feeding the fish formula currently because the puppy has HORRIBLE allerigies.

Has anyone heard of Harmony pet food??
http://www.harmonypetproducts.com/

Thoughts??

Nature's Recipe--not so much. Manufactured by Del Monte Foods. They have an all-life stages food (Farm Stand Selects) out that would actually be pretty decent if it weren't for the "animal digest" and the broken down potato.

Turkey, turkey meal, ground rice, barley, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols),oatmeal, potato protein, cranberriers, apples, peas, carrots, animal digest, tomato pomace, sodium tripolyphosphate, flax see, potassium chloride, salt, vitamins (vitamin E supplement, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), inositol, niacin supplement, vitamin A supplement, D-calcium pantothenatie, thiamine mononitrate, beta-carotene, riboflavin supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, menadione sodium bisulfite complex, vitamin D3 supllement, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement) minerals (zinc proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, iron proteinate, copper sulfate, copper proteinate, manganese proteinate, maganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), yucca schidigera, choline chloride, rosemary extract

Are you sure it's Nature's Recipe? I do not recall seeing a fish formula. And in my digging online, I couldn't find it either. Is it possible that you are feeding Natural Balance? I know they have a fish/sweet potato food that is pretty good for allergies.

Wellness foods have a line of foods called Simple Solutions. Very simple foods. One protein, one carbohydrate. They have a duck/rice(?) and a venison. Another good choice for allergies. Wellness Simple Solutions

As for the Harmony Pet prooducts food: Concerns in bold, my comments in italics :thumbsup:
Chicken, Chicken Meal, Whole Ground Brown Rice, Whole Ground Barley, Rye, Oats, good to see whole grains rather than processed grains. Chicken Fat (Preserved with Natural Mixed Tocopherols), Natural Chicken Flavor, eh--flavoring agents bother me for some reason. I guess I figure if the food is decent enough to stand alone and be palatable then it should not need addtional flavors. Menhaden Fish Meal, Alfalfa Meal, Dried Beet Pulp (Sugar Removed) while it can be a beneficial fiber; there are better alternatives thus making it a binding agent and a filler, Ground Flax Seed, Dried Eggs, Peas, Whole Carrots, Whole Sweet Potatoes, Canola Oil, Apples, Potassium Chloride, Sea Salt, Blueberries, I'd prefer to see the vegetables/fruits BEFORE the fiber so they make up a better part of the food, but hey... Chicory Root Extract, Dried Kelp, Vitamin E Supplement, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Bacillus Subtilis, Bifodobacterium Thermo-philum, Bifidobacterium Longum, Enterococcus Faecium, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Choline Chloride, Zinc Proteinate (Source of Chelated Zinc) Chelated minerals are good! They are attached to amino acids, making them easier to digest and put to use rather than standing alone, Zinc Sulfate, Iron Proteinate (Source of Chelated Iron), Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Lecithin, Manganese Proteinate (Source of Chelated Manganese), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Niacin, Calcium Ascorbate (Source of Vitamin C), Vitamin A Supplement, Cobalt Proteinate (Source of Chelated Cobalt), Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Copper Proteinate (Source of Chelated Copper), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide (Source of Iodine), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Rosemary Extract, Biotin, Folic Acid, Menadione Dimethylpyrimidinol Bisulfite Google it!! (Source of Vitamin K Activity), Sodium Selenite.

So all in all, not a bad food based on the ingredients.
Crude Protein 24.0% min
Crude Fat 14.0% min
Crude Fiber 4.0% max
Moisture 0.0% max
Omega 6 Fatty Acids* 3.2% min
Omega 3 Fatty Acids* 0.5% min

MissKiwi can give a better breakdown based on the analysis. I am not too terribly familiar with the ratios the food should contain.

BUT!!! (there's always the but, isn't there? lol) I would be leery of any food that can be found at a Target. As much as I LOVE my Target, I would not buy pet food from there. Once it's carried at a store like that, it gets the term 'grocery-store' brand and I have a thing about not ever buying grocery store brand foods. Just my thing.

Another thing to consider about pet foods is not all dogs do well on the same foods. For example, I feed Innova EVO and my dog does GREAT on this food. Others, not so much. Different dogs do well on different foods. That's what's most important when choosing a food. Yes, it should be good for them BUT just because you are feeding the best food possible does not mean the dog will thrive on it. The dog is a puppy too, so as he gets older, his ability to handle some foods might change. It took me a better part of a year to find a food that my dog does really well on. Matter of fact, I've found two. One happens to be a lot cheaper than the other. lol

What is the puppy allergic to, have you found out exactly what the allergens are?

MyloveMydog
Newborn Bully

Postby MyloveMydog » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:53 pm

Here is the link to the nature recipe we feed.
http://www.naturesrecipe.com/DogProduct ... FishPotato

Thanks for answering my millions of questions. I'm really trying to find a great food for the pup. she has allergies to corn, beef, and for some reason chicken, and lamb kill her stomach.

We tried merrick when she was a puppy, and it tore up her stomach.

I'm still doing tons of reading and research so thanks for answering my questions.

snoopsnoop
Forum Junky

Postby snoopsnoop » Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:32 pm

That food looks decent. I'm still not a fan of Nature's Recipe foods. They are made by Del Monte foods which still concerns me. I guess I just don't like sub-companies. Like Purina is partnered with Nestle, Hills is partnered with Colgate-Palmolive, Iams/Eukaneuba is partnered with Proctor & Gamble and Nutro/Pedigree/Whiskas is now partnered with M&M/Mars.

Del Monte foods also produces Kibbles n Bits, Milkbone, and 9Lives.

Can you see why I am hesitant to buy a food from a company such as those? Their foods dont exactly have the best of nutrition on their side. These companies put profit in front of the ingredients of their pet foods and that scares me.

Blue Buffalo also has a fish formula that is a TON better than the Nature's Recipe, and they are pretty close in price. The BB is manufactured differently, in one of like 3 certified organic pet product producing plants in the country. No corn, wheat, soy, by-products, glutens, nothin like that. They separate the super beneficial nutrients/stuff and cold-form them into their own kibble. Up to 75% of the nutrients in kibble is broken down/destroyed by the cooking process. So, this method preserves the potency of the vitamins/minerals/supplements. The dog is able to get more out of the food this way.

Now you have a few foods to try! lol lol The Blue Buffalo Fish/Sweet Potato, Wellness Simple Solutions, and the Natural Balance (they have duck/potato & fish/potato). On the cheaper side, Nutro has a couple newer foods out: Herring/rice/potato and Venison/rice. Ok--scratch that. I just looked at the ingredients and I am less than impressed. Too much processed rice, beet pulp, sunflower oil and soybean oil (a lot of dogs have issues with sunflower oil at some point or another in their lives), and there is also the existance of the non-specific poultry fat (what kind of poultry is it--turkey/chicken/duck/goose/peacock? what quality is said fat?) then there is the Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (same as the vitamin K thing I told you about in the other food).

What Merrick did you try? There is one that is buffalo/venison/salmon with no corn/wheat/soy that might work for the pup. Unless the puppy is having an issue with oil, then Merrick wouldn't work too well. lol

MyloveMydog
Newborn Bully

Postby MyloveMydog » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:05 am

WOW lots of info, and things I hadn't even thought about. Thanks for clearing up the nutro thing, because that was going to be my next question.
I think I'll start with a bag of the blue buffalo, and go from there. Here the BB is actually cheaper then the nature's recipe so that's an easy switch.

We tried the Merrick puppy plate when we first got the pup. I'm not sure what the issue was, but it did NOT agree with her stomach at all. We also tried flint river ranch, and that didn't do so hot either.

It's a constant process of trial, and error. It's just a matter of me being informed with several options, and seeing what the pup thrives on. I'm sure I'll have a million more questions before it's all said, and done.
THANKS for all of the help :thumbsup:

Return to “Health Issues”