Top 5 Foods

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Linariel
Addicted to PBF

Postby Linariel » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:51 pm

And dang...I REALLY like the cat food ingredients, but it only comes in tiny bags for about $2 a pound. I have to buy the 20lbs bags.

MyloveMydog
Newborn Bully

Postby MyloveMydog » Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:49 am

Okay So I'm back with more food questions. :oops:

What about california natural? Good, bad ugly?

Can I rotate my food every bag? The pup seems to get bored with one "flavor" pretty quick.

snoopsnoop
Forum Junky

Postby snoopsnoop » Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:18 am

MyloveMydog wrote:Okay So I'm back with more food questions. :oops:

What about california natural? Good, bad ugly?

Can I rotate my food every bag? The pup seems to get bored with one "flavor" pretty quick.

California Natural..... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Made by Natura Pet Foods....the makers of Innova :thumbsup: I'd feed it!

you can rotate every bag, just as long as you are doing some sort of gradual change. Some dogs can handle cold turkey switches better than others, so take it by your dog, she can tell you what she can handle.

What you could do, is keep her on one food as a base and mix in a scoop or two (or however you feed her) of a different food. Just an idea ;)

MyloveMydog
Newborn Bully

Postby MyloveMydog » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:02 am

I like the idea of keeping a base food, and adding scoops of something else. Maybe we'll give that I try.
Okay as the questions continue.. LOL
Between: taste of the wild, canidea, newman's own, and california natural is there one that is better then the others? Or are they all about the same?
I ask because they are all the same price, and honestly I would like to get the most bang for my buck.

snoopsnoop
Forum Junky

Postby snoopsnoop » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:17 am

MyloveMydog wrote:I like the idea of keeping a base food, and adding scoops of something else. Maybe we'll give that I try.
Okay as the questions continue.. LOL
Between: taste of the wild, canidea, newman's own, and california natural is there one that is better then the others? Or are they all about the same?
I ask because they are all the same price, and honestly I would like to get the most bang for my buck.

Personally, I'd go with CaliNatural. I am a big fan of the Natura products. I feed my dog EVO ;) And Mother Nature cookies.
Not so much the Newman's Own. I have seen it at grocery stores, which is a really big food turn-off for me.
Canidae is always a good choice. I would never down Canidae. It's a good food at usually an even better price.
And I don't have much experience with taste of the wild so I cannot speak for that. I have heard/read it is a good food, however.

So, really...it's up to you. Pick the one you think your dog will like most first then go from there :thumbsup:

FreeRideJunkie
Bully Ambassador

Postby FreeRideJunkie » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:32 pm

Jada has been on Canidae for almost a full 20 pound bag now. I switched her off of Nutro and wanted to try her on something other than the big name foods. She has done extremely well. No problems switching and she seems to love it. She is eating about 2 cups a day instead of 3 which is nice. Less in, less out. lol

akaspaddero
Addicted to PBF

Postby akaspaddero » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:27 am

Linariel wrote:And dang...I REALLY like the cat food ingredients, but it only comes in tiny bags for about $2 a pound. I have to buy the 20lbs bags.

My cats LOVE the Nature's Logic....Yes it's expensive but i mix it with a prescription food for my older kitties. But you should see their coats!

makedonce78
Newborn Bully

Postby makedonce78 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:56 pm

Has anyone tried Artemis? The http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/ has it rated with 5 starts out of 6

The only thing I dont like about this company is that the only taste they have is this (no variety what-so-ever):

MEDIUM/LARGE BREED PUPPY

Chicken, Turkey, Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Brown Rice, Pearled Barley, Lamb Meal, Oatmeal, Chicken Fat (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherois), Egg Product, Salmon, Natural Chicken Flavor, Canola Oil, Flaxseed, Potatoes, Carrots, Peas, Apples, Cranberries, Dried Chicory Root, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Lecithin, Garlic, DL-Methionine, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Choline Chloride Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Biotin, Inositol, Dehydrated Kelp, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Cobalt Amino Acid Chelate, Potassium Iodate, Sodium Selenite, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Sage Extract, Dried Aspergillus Oryzae Fermantation Solubles, Dried Enterococcus Faecium and Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus
Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein, min. 27.0%
Crude Fat, min. 15.0%
Crude Fiber, max. 3.0%
Moisture, max. 10%
Calcium 1.0%
Phosphorus, min 0.8%
Sodium, min 0.27%
Zinc, min 200 mg/kg
Selenium, min 0.010 mg/kg
Vitamin A, min 22,000 IU/kg
Vitamin D, min 1,000 IU/kg
Vitamin E, min 300 IU/kg
Omega-6 Fatty Acids, min.* 2.6%
Omega-3 Fatty Acids, min.* 0.4%
Calories 3,693 kcal/kg.
345 kcal/cup (8oz. Cup)

snoopsnoop
Forum Junky

Postby snoopsnoop » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:58 pm

I have not tried it, but it looks good!

makedonce78
Newborn Bully

Postby makedonce78 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:03 pm

snoopsnoop wrote:I have not tried it, but it looks good!

a new store opened in Madison Heights right in the humane society on John R between 11 and twelve mile. The only store that has Artemis in Michigan :))

Sean W.
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Sean W. » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:00 pm

After I finish this current bag of Canidae I think i'm gonna try this food next. It's cheaper than both TW and Innova EVO and the ingredients look just as good or better than either.

It's called Taste of the Wild.
http://tasteofthewildpetfood.com/

Guaranteed Analysis from the High Prairie formula:
Crude Protein 32.0% Minimum
Crude Fat 18.0 Minimum
Crude Fiber 3.0% Maximum
Moisture 10.0% Maximum
Sodium 0.3% Maximum
Zinc 150 mg/kg Minimum
Selenium 0.4 mg/kg Minimum
Vitamin E 150 IU/kg Minimum
Omega-6 Fatty Acids * 2.8% Minimum
Omega-3 Fatty Acids * 0.3% Minimum

* Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profile.

Calorie Content: 3,719 kcal/kg (370 kcal/cup) Calculated Metabolizable Energy.

AAFCO Statement
Taste of the Wild High Prairie Canine Formula is formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO) Dog Food Nutrient Profiles for all life stages.

Ingredients
Bison, venison, lamb meal, chicken meal, egg product, sweet potatoes, peas, potatoes, canola oil, roasted bison, roasted venison, natural flavor, tomato pomace, ocean fish meal, choline chloride, dried chicory root, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, yucca schidigera extract, Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Saccharomyces cerevesiae fermentation solubles, dried Aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D supplement, folic acid.
Formulas

MyloveMydog
Newborn Bully

Postby MyloveMydog » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:43 am

We just switched to taste of the wild. The puppy loves it!! She was always so itchy before, but now she is not itchy, very shinny, and not stinky. I would definatly recomend it. They also have a few differant varieties to choose from!

makedonce78
Newborn Bully

Postby makedonce78 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:45 am

MyloveMydog wrote:We just switched to taste of the wild. The puppy loves it!! She was always so itchy before, but now she is not itchy, very shinny, and not stinky. I would definatly recomend it. They also have a few differant varieties to choose from!

How old is your pup? I am still a little iffy about feeding my pup this food because I cant see what the calcium/phosphorus level is on TOTW. When I called them, and this is when it just showed up in stores, the lady didnt know to tell me that either. Have they disclosed that info yet?

MyloveMydog
Newborn Bully

Postby MyloveMydog » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:12 pm

The "puppy" is 11 months. So I guess she is really no longer a puppy. I'm still researching the calcium, and phoshorus levels. There is more info out about the food now then there was a few months ago.

MyloveMydog
Newborn Bully

Postby MyloveMydog » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:15 pm

this is the most detailed info I've been able to find so far.
http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food ... 1286&cat=8

Return to “Health Issues”