Top 5 Foods

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
makedonce78
Newborn Bully

Postby makedonce78 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:04 pm

MyloveMydog wrote:this is the most detailed info I've been able to find so far.
http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food ... 1286&cat=8

I know, I seen that :( I was hoping that calcium level will eventually be told. I dont want to feed Vuk anything that has over 1.4 % calcium and it makes it so hard in the choosing foods for rotation thing

Thanks though

mikaela051287
Newborn Bully

Postby mikaela051287 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:48 am

anybody have any issues with Royal Canin?

snoopsnoop
Forum Junky

Postby snoopsnoop » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:54 am

mikaela051287 wrote:anybody have any issues with Royal Canin?

Many. lol

There are better foods out there for the same price. It might take a bit of homework, but it is doable.
Check out Canidae and Merrick. Even Blue Buffalo is a good food for about the same price, if not a smidge less from what I remember. It's been a while since I have stared at RC prices. lol

mikaela051287
Newborn Bully

Postby mikaela051287 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:01 pm

okay, great. thanks! i appreciate it.
i just switched him from eukanuba, i know, terribile, to royal canin at my vet's recommendation. now i'll switch it again.

zebo
Adolescent Bully

is this good food

Postby zebo » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:32 pm

natures recipe just picked it up here are the Ingredients:

Lamb meal, ground rice, pearled barley, oatmeal, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), dried egg, lamb digest, tomato pomace, flax seed, potassium chloride, salt, taurine, vitamins (vitamin E supplement, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), inositol, niacin supplement, vitamin A supplement, d-calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, beta-carotene, riboflavin supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, menadione sodium bisulfite complex, vitamin D3 supplement, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement), minerals (zinc proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, iron proteinate, copper sulfate, copper proteinate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), choline chloride, yucca schidigera, rosemary extract.

Guaranteed Analysis

Crude Protein 25.0%
Crude Fat 15.0%
Crude Fiber 4.50%
Moisture 10.0%
Iron 200 mg/kg
Copper 10 mg/kg
Zinc 150 mg/kg
Selenium 0.5 mg/kg
Vitamin E 125 IU/kg
Omega-3 Fatty Acids* 0.25%
Omega-6 Fatty Acids* 2.0%
Beta Carotene* 6 mg/kg

*Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles.

Amount of Feeding (daily)**

Weight of Dog Weaning to 6 Months 6-12 Months Adults over 12 Months
3-10 lbs. 1 - 2 1/4 Cups 3/4 - 1 3/4 Cups 1/2 - 1 1/8 Cups
10-20 lbs. 2 1/4 - 3 3/4 Cups 1 3/4 - 2 7/8 Cups 1 1/8 - 1 7/8 Cups
20-50 lbs. 3 3/4 - 7 Cups 2 7/8 - 5 1/4 Cups 1 7/8 - 3 1/2 Cups
50-100 lbs. 7 - 11 Cups 5 1/4 - 8 1/4 Cups 3 1/2 - 5 1/2 Cups
Over 100 lbs. Add 1/2 Cup for each 10 lbs. of body weight over 100 lbs.

Note: Add 3/8 cup for each 10 lbs. of body weight over 100 lbs.

**Measurements are based on a standard 8-oz. cup.

snoopsnoop
Forum Junky

Postby snoopsnoop » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:43 pm

Not bad, could be better. I'd take out the "Lamb Digest" and maybe go a wee bit lighter on the grains. Put a little more meat, little less cereal.

menadione sodium bisulfite complex = google it. Bad bad bad bad. Seeing this, I would not feed this food at all. It's an artificial Vitamin K supplement and nothing good has come from this additive. Many companies have discovered this and have opted for the more natural Vitamin K supplement. And that is really high up on the ingredient list compared to others I have seen. Usually it is within the bottom 3-4 but never that far up the list.

And it is saying you need to feed your 50# dog close to 3.5 cups of food??? Assinine! I feed my 51# 2C of food that is not grain free. When he was eating TW he was getting about 3/4C total, and he gets about 1.25/1.5C of EVO.
There are better foods out there. By companies who dont mass produce stuff either. Nature's Recipe is made by Del Monte foods. Who also makes Whiskas and Cesar(? I think)

Canidae is a good food for about the same price, as is Blue Buffalo, and Merrick. And if you wanted to go a bit high-brow, there's Innova, Nature's Variety and even Timberwolf. Good food is out there, though it might take some homework on your end. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

zebo
Adolescent Bully

Postby zebo » Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:01 pm

thanks for the info i will finish the food it will take about a week cause im feeding three dogs.where can iget the blue buffalo. and what should be the first ingredients should it be meat first?

snoopsnoop
Forum Junky

Postby snoopsnoop » Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:54 pm

zebo wrote:thanks for the info i will finish the food it will take about a week cause im feeding three dogs.where can iget the blue buffalo. and what should be the first ingredients should it be meat first?

BLUE can be found at PetSmart.

Meat meal or meat followed immediately followed by a meat meal. I like to avoid corn, wheat and/or soy and glutens of them. I also like to avoid processed grains.

zebo
Adolescent Bully

Postby zebo » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:58 pm

snoopsnoop wrote:
zebo wrote:thanks for the info i will finish the food it will take about a week cause im feeding three dogs.where can iget the blue buffalo. and what should be the first ingredients should it be meat first?

BLUE can be found at PetSmart.

Meat meal or meat followed immediately followed by a meat meal. I like to avoid corn, wheat and/or soy and glutens of them. I also like to avoid processed grains.

i called petsmart to return the food. told them it was open and they said that was fine i could bring it back so idid bought blue of feel better knowing my dogs are going to eat better . :peace: :thumbsup:

jlphilli
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jlphilli » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:55 am

Timberwolf Organics needs to be taken off of this list immediately! See thread below...

rgyoung777
Addicted to PBF

Postby rgyoung777 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:46 pm

jlphilli wrote:Timberwolf Organics needs to be taken off of this list immediately! See thread below...

Sorry, even though I happen to agree with you about TWO, we don't edit content out of posts like this unless it violates the forum rules.

You are more than welcome to send a PM to Barbponys and ask her if she would like to update the original post in this thread, but since the post that started the thread was her opinion, we won't be changing its content until it's evident that her opinion has changed.

jlphilli
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jlphilli » Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:35 pm

I understand. I will PM her and ask :) Thanks!

Brad-and-Brodix
Newborn Bully

Postby Brad-and-Brodix » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:01 pm

Brodix is still on puppy food, but he is picky eater. He was on a diamond puppy for about 5 months, and just recently changed to Blue Buffalo, he absolutely loves it !!! I do buy it a Petsmart, because its cheaper, but my local feed store carries it, as well as some Tractor Supply stores around here. What canned puppy food do you guys recommend mixing, if any ? He seems to like chicken over anything else in the dry food, he just is so thin looking, but he weighs 50 pds, and is 6 months, so he's healthy.
Guess we're gonna have to shorten those afternoon walks !!!LOL :crybaby:

snoopsnoop
Forum Junky

Postby snoopsnoop » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:09 pm

Brad-and-Brodix wrote:

Brodix is still on puppy food, but he is picky eater. He was on a diamond puppy for about 5 months, and just recently changed to Blue Buffalo, he absolutely loves it !!! I do buy it a Petsmart, because its cheaper, but my local feed store carries it, as well as some Tractor Supply stores around here. What canned puppy food do you guys recommend mixing, if any ? He seems to like chicken over anything else in the dry food, he just is so thin looking, but he weighs 50 pds, and is 6 months, so he's healthy.
Guess we're gonna have to shorten those afternoon walks !!!LOL :crybaby:

If he is happy with the dry food, dont worry about adding any canned. You can add yogurt or salmon oil or a raw egg if you want to spruce up the meal.

I prefer my dog to be on the lean side. He's 51# and 2 years old and 20inches-ish. He's eating Blue Buffalo Puppy at the moment because I get a (really really) good deal on it and it has the higher protein levels I like. He usually gets just the dry food but if I am feeling extra nice I will add some canola oil (or fish oil, whichever is on hand) or an egg or some warm water. Sometimes all three. lol

Zagari
Addicted to PBF

Postby Zagari » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:43 pm

What do y'all think about Maxximum Nutrition? I guess Walmart just started carrying it. It looks good from what I can tell. I boasts about having no corn, no animal by-products, no artificial colors or flavors, and no preservatives. I bought a small bag today and Emily seems to like it.

I got the Lamb and Rice formula. It said something about being a good source of Glucosamine and thought it might be good for Emily's arthritis.

Any thoughts?

Return to “Health Issues”