Top 5 Foods

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Lula
Newborn Bully

Postby Lula » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:47 pm

Zagari wrote:What do y'all think about Maxximum Nutrition? I guess Walmart just started carrying it. It looks good from what I can tell. I boasts about having no corn, no animal by-products, no artificial colors or flavors, and no preservatives. I bought a small bag today and Emily seems to like it.

I got the Lamb and Rice formula. It said something about being a good source of Glucosamine and thought it might be good for Emily's arthritis.

Any thoughts?

THis is what I fed my dog before my vet recommended Science Diet... she was fat (50+ lbs) and not lean with excercise on the walmart food and she pooped alot.. i mean alot... due to her allergies i have feeding Canidae Lamb and rice. She has been on Canidae for over a month and with exercise is a lean 42 lbs. I havent looked at their current ingredients.

creeping death
Bully Ambassador

Postby creeping death » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:34 pm

Okay, I am thinking of switching Zoey again because she doesn't seem to be benefiting from the Authority I am feeding her. She gets terrible gas, has LOTS of dead hairs falling off of her everyday (more so than an APBT should be shedding), her skin seems dry and her poops are rancid and green most of the time!!. My vet recommends Science Diet...I just laughed and asked her (nicely) to explain how the Science Diet would benefit her, and what ingredients do what for Zoey....she didn't really answer, but asked me again if I wanted to buy it.....I said no thanks lol

I was thinking of switching her to Timber wolf, Merrick, Acana, or Nutro.

Do you think a dog, that has been fed crap food all her life(oL Roy...good god :yucky: ) before me, would do well or handle high quality food now? I put her on Innova large breed, she did horrible on it, she seemed to "itch" or "lick" more than usual, so I switched her to raw. Again, she licked herself badly...until I put her on Authority...she seemed okay on it, other than the things I mentioned above, but no more licking.

She seems to have a sensitive tummy, and I think she has a slight allergy to chicken, and grains. I think this is what causes her licking fits.
So since my Vet is always trying to push SD and Iams/ Eukanuba....what does everyone else suggest?

Thanks

creeping death
Bully Ambassador

Postby creeping death » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:38 pm

Oh another thing...Does it help to give her variety once in a while? I mean, Same brand but maybe different flavors , alternate between them? Like If I bought two bags of food, same brand, but different flavors...could I giver her one for one week, and the other for the next? I imagine eating the same thing everyday for the rest of your life would get boring, wouldn't it? and I can't give her bones, hides, or anything she can bite off and swallow, because she does not believe in chewing first!!!

Or even add a can of wet food to her dry every couple of days? Or even the dog gravy from IAMS?

Kahlua
Super Bully

Postby Kahlua » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:55 am

creeping death wrote:Oh another thing...Does it help to give her variety once in a while? I mean, Same brand but maybe different flavors , alternate between them? Like If I bought two bags of food, same brand, but different flavors...could I giver her one for one week, and the other for the next? I imagine eating the same thing everyday for the rest of your life would get boring, wouldn't it? and I can't give her bones, hides, or anything she can bite off and swallow, because she does not believe in chewing first!!!

Or even add a can of wet food to her dry every couple of days? Or even the dog gravy from IAMS?

Never feed your dog IAMS - it is total garbage, plus the cruelty of the IAMS companies makes me want to puke.

I think it is best to switch flavors in dog food, because they will get bored eating the same thing. Just like us, if we ate the same thing everyday all day it would start to suck lol So I will buy one bag of chicken and another of lamb, open them both, and rotate daily...it is like a little supprise what flavor they will get for breakfast and dinner ;)

bones88
Newborn Bully

Postby bones88 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:18 pm

well TW is going south so what would be the #1 food now?

u-turn
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby u-turn » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:37 pm

Sean W. wrote:After I finish this current bag of Canidae I think i'm gonna try this food next. It's cheaper than both TW and Innova EVO and the ingredients look just as good or better than either.

It's called Taste of the Wild.
http://tasteofthewildpetfood.com/

Guaranteed Analysis from the High Prairie formula:
Crude Protein 32.0% Minimum
Crude Fat 18.0 Minimum
Crude Fiber 3.0% Maximum
Moisture 10.0% Maximum
Sodium 0.3% Maximum
Zinc 150 mg/kg Minimum
Selenium 0.4 mg/kg Minimum
Vitamin E 150 IU/kg Minimum
Omega-6 Fatty Acids * 2.8% Minimum
Omega-3 Fatty Acids * 0.3% Minimum

* Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profile.

Calorie Content: 3,719 kcal/kg (370 kcal/cup) Calculated Metabolizable Energy.

AAFCO Statement
Taste of the Wild High Prairie Canine Formula is formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO) Dog Food Nutrient Profiles for all life stages.

Ingredients
Bison, venison, lamb meal, chicken meal, egg product, sweet potatoes, peas, potatoes, canola oil, roasted bison, roasted venison, natural flavor, tomato pomace, ocean fish meal, choline chloride, dried chicory root, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, yucca schidigera extract, Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Saccharomyces cerevesiae fermentation solubles, dried Aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D supplement, folic acid.
Formulas

i too like this brand but im wondering one thing. i heard it was made by diamond, so is that a bad thing?

KJAX5252
Super Bully

Postby KJAX5252 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:04 pm

i just switched my dogs to Timberwolf. They were on Nutro Naturals before but I was unhappy with it because their coats didn't looks so shiny, and Raisin was ALWAYS hungry regardless.

They seem to like it and the price difference is marginal because they are eating less than before.

I have heard so many good things about Canidae but it is super expensive around here. Maybe it is just a regional thing? Others have said it is not too bad around them

How many days or weeks does it take to see a change?

IamaDick
Addicted to PBF

Postby IamaDick » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:40 pm

KJAX5252 wrote:
How many days or weeks does it take to see a change?

You might notice small changes of improvement within the first week or 2, but i would say atleast a month before anything really changes. They say a food trial is 12 weeks, so definantly by that time.

usurpers26
Matured Bully

Postby usurpers26 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:51 am

I switched the boys to TOTW (their salmon formula) a few weeks ago.

I was feeding TW - but they were both having some reflux issues.

They love the food (maybe because it's still new to them) and so far, no more reflux issues.

u-turn wrote:
Sean W. wrote:After I finish this current bag of Canidae I think i'm gonna try this food next. It's cheaper than both TW and Innova EVO and the ingredients look just as good or better than either.

It's called Taste of the Wild.
http://tasteofthewildpetfood.com/

Guaranteed Analysis from the High Prairie formula:
Crude Protein 32.0% Minimum
Crude Fat 18.0 Minimum
Crude Fiber 3.0% Maximum
Moisture 10.0% Maximum
Sodium 0.3% Maximum
Zinc 150 mg/kg Minimum
Selenium 0.4 mg/kg Minimum
Vitamin E 150 IU/kg Minimum
Omega-6 Fatty Acids * 2.8% Minimum
Omega-3 Fatty Acids * 0.3% Minimum

* Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profile.

Calorie Content: 3,719 kcal/kg (370 kcal/cup) Calculated Metabolizable Energy.

AAFCO Statement
Taste of the Wild High Prairie Canine Formula is formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO) Dog Food Nutrient Profiles for all life stages.

Ingredients
Bison, venison, lamb meal, chicken meal, egg product, sweet potatoes, peas, potatoes, canola oil, roasted bison, roasted venison, natural flavor, tomato pomace, ocean fish meal, choline chloride, dried chicory root, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, yucca schidigera extract, Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Saccharomyces cerevesiae fermentation solubles, dried Aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D supplement, folic acid.
Formulas

i too like this brand but im wondering one thing. i heard it was made by diamond, so is that a bad thing?

MyloveMydog
Newborn Bully

Postby MyloveMydog » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:21 am

I'm loving taste of the wild. My itchy dog is finally not itchy anymore!! :thumbsup: :bowdown:

BigBoyBlue
Newborn Bully

Postby BigBoyBlue » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:22 am

My dog's been on exceed chicken performance formula since he was 8 weeks and his coat is shiny and smooth. At $21 for a 44 pound bag, you can't beat it.

Overview
This food was specifically developed as a high-protein formula to keep active, hardworking or hunting dogs in top form. Its high quality formulation with real chicken packs 30% protein and 20% fat into each healthful serving. That helps give your active dog the lean muscle mass, energy and endurance he needs for top performance.
Specifications
# Real chicken #1 ingredient
# Healthy immune system
# Lean muscle mass
# Visibly healthy coat
# Easy-to-digest formula
# Bone and joint health

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/naviga ... tem=175431

luvmypits
Newborn Bully

Postby luvmypits » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:10 pm

is Timberwolf really going out of business? my local store is going to stop carrying it sighting the reason - "a really hard to work with company that isn't worth the effort".
My girl has always only been on TW and when I tried to switch her (gradually) she got VERY sick and ended up in emergency. Obviously, I don't want to switch if I can avoid...
anybody know anything on the rumor?? thx!!

MyloveMydog
Newborn Bully

Postby MyloveMydog » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:29 am

Has anyone tried Evolve by natures menu? Here's the link.
http://www.evolvepet.com/NaturesMenu/natures_menu.html
Thanks

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:21 am

luvmypits wrote:is Timberwolf really going out of business? my local store is going to stop carrying it sighting the reason - "a really hard to work with company that isn't worth the effort".
My girl has always only been on TW and when I tried to switch her (gradually) she got VERY sick and ended up in emergency. Obviously, I don't want to switch if I can avoid...
anybody know anything on the rumor?? thx!!

No, I haven't heard that but I did hear via one of our longtime members that TW is going to be sold in pet store chains. I will see if I can find the thread for you....

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:22 am

Return to “Health Issues”