Top 5 Foods

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
BlackxxDog
Newborn Bully

Postby BlackxxDog » Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:45 pm

spoon wrote:I dunno man, I forgot. But I now know that you must be talking exclusively about bagged, dry dog food. :)

The original point I was making was about protien levels in dry dog food.

Red Chrome

Postby Red Chrome » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:34 pm

BlackxxDog wrote:
Red Chrome wrote:
BlackxxDog wrote:
Red Chrome wrote:Unfortunately.....Dog Lovers Gold is overpriced and SEVERELY overrated IMHO.

It worked well enough for my dog but I feel there is better and not to mention that you can't get it everywhere.

Your right about it being hard to get in some places, but as far as being overpriced and overated defies science and logic.

Not in my opinion......How much do you sell it for? How much to ship it? It's not worth the price with shipping included.

Explain to me how its overrated.

For SOME people that sell it...it's all about the calorie content per cup which I believe is sitting at around 407calories/per Cup. I personally want to see more protein and another meat source. I feel that they need variety in meat sources. I want to see more in it for the price. Thus in MY opinion it is overrated.

ssontag
Bully Lover 4 Life

Re: Food swith

Postby ssontag » Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:25 pm

scrappy_561 wrote:Im a newbie and just got my girl on Saturday. She's severly underweight and so us not knowing any better, have her on Purina Puppy Chow (Healthy Life Nutrition). Am thinking of switching her to Timberwolf, since she's rocking the 'skeletor' look emaciated (about 1yr old or so, and about 42lbs). Im not sure what her 'ideal' weight should be but I know she's not at it..lol. Is that a good idea switching her to Timberwol or do you have any suggestions on another kind (I figured that would be a good choice based on some of the good reviews that everyone else has posted about it)

If you are going to switch, make sure it is gradual. About 75% old / 25% new for about 4 days, 50/50 for about 4 days, 25% old / 75% new for about 4 days and then go to all new food. Will help with upset stomach and diarreha (?).

565Customz
Newborn Bully

Postby 565Customz » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:54 pm

one word for pet food...orijin.

tw has got pretty crappy over the past 6 months. i used it on my other dogs and they went from great and healthy....to BLAH! and all this happened when TW changed to new bags and updated the old ingredients label...but supposedly didnt change the forumla...wtfe. then why did my dog get sick if they didnt change the formula?

Shea_Mc
Newborn Bully

Postby Shea_Mc » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:05 pm

is anyone or has anyone fed Bil Jac there was a guy doing some work for us at work and he says thats all he feeds. I was thinking of switchin my snickers over to natures variety. but was wondering if anyone had good or bad results from the Bil Jac.

Legend
Adolescent Bully

Postby Legend » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:16 am

If I have a 10 week old ... I'm feeding him Nutro for large breed puppy. ..Is there a better one than Nutro. in "petsmart". ( I ONLY SHOP IN PETSMART ) so... HELP GUYS.. is there a better one?

jcrazy
Newborn Bully

Postby jcrazy » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:36 am

so how do you guys like EVO now? 3 years later?

Legend
Adolescent Bully

Postby Legend » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:52 pm

EVO?

Legend
Adolescent Bully

Postby Legend » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:56 pm

So I guess NOTHING in PETSMART is good????

WHICH IS BETTER ? EVO or Nature's Variety?

Gatorpit
Addicted to PBF

Postby Gatorpit » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:56 am

Legend wrote:If I have a 10 week old ... I'm feeding him Nutro for large breed puppy. ..Is there a better one than Nutro. in "petsmart". ( I ONLY SHOP IN PETSMART ) so... HELP GUYS.. is there a better one?

How big were your pups parents? Pit bulls generally are not a large breed, and do not need large breed formula.

There is a common misperception that feeding a dog a large breed food will help them to grow larger.

In fact, large breed foods are formulated in such a way as to slow growth. Large breed dogs, if given to much protein and calories, grow too quickly and can end up with defects and health issues.

So large breed formulas are intended to slow growth, which, obviously, if fed to a dog that is not a large breed, will NOT make them grow larger. Large breed formulaes may not have the nutrients a smaller growing dog requires for proper growth.

DoggyDaddy
Matured Bully

Postby DoggyDaddy » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:37 pm

rgyoung777 wrote:
freak on a leash wrote:Wow, thats a great looking pit you've got there. I'm happy to see a dog in such great condition as yours without shelling out the big bucks for these foods that cost an arm and a leg. It seems as if your not shelling out the big bucks, your dog is automatically un-fit. For those of you who are able to afford/willing to shell those big bucks, thats good. I'm not knockin you for that. But all this, "Oh, this and that is bad", "Thats just filler", "They sell those in the grocery store"... I'm sorry, but who gives a fizzle! I don't have that much money, does that not qualify me to own a happy, healthy dog like I do now? The key to having a healthy dog, goes for the same as being healthy yourself. Get out there and flipping [i]EXCERCISE[/]. So a Human can sit on his/her ass all day and eat celery sticks, and fruits all day.. That still wouldn't make him/her any healthier than a person who excercises everyday, but eats McDonalds for lunch.

Feeding a dog low quality food is not the same thing as a person who only eats McDonald's for lunch. It is the same thing as a person who eats McDonald's for every meal.

Exercise is only PART of the equation. You can't put complete garbage in (Purina, Kibbles 'n' Bits, Ol' Roy) and expect to get a 100% fit dog out of it, no matter how much exercise it gets. FUEL is crucial.

If you had one person who ate a balanced, healthy diet and another with an equivalent metabolism and build who ate McDonald's every day for every meal, and both were training for a marathon using the exact same training regimen, who do you think would place ahead of whom? It matters what we put into our bodies. You can't eat complete crap day in and day out and expect exercise to keep you healthy.

A person can also have good muscle tone, exercise daily and still be at risk for heart disease and high cholesterol because of their diet. Outward appearance is also only part of the equation.

No one is trying to make you feel like a terrible owner for not feeding your dog a premium food. Find a food that works for you and your dog, give the dog the best you can with what you can afford, and don't worry about it from that point on. If your dog is happy and healthy, you're doing something right. There is absolutely no reason to be defensive about it if you're doing the best you can.

HAG found a food that works for her and her dogs, and I applaud her for that. The food she feeds is better than Purina, Kibbles 'n' Bits and Ol' Roy. It is not a grocery store brand.

I don't have much money either, but I am happy to spend some of what I do have on a premium kibble. I am happy with the results I've seen. My dog has always had sufficient exercise and been in good health, and since the food switch, her energy levels and overall physical shape have improved a great deal. That's all the proof I need.

Not all dog foods are created equal, and that is why it is important to analyze ingredients and identify which were included only as bulk. Some people make canine nutrition a high priority in their lives, and make a point of researching ingredients. They are the ones who "give a fizzle." Just because it is of high importance to them does not make you a bad owner for not feeling the same way.

No one's judging you, so there's no need to be defensive. Just feed the best food you can for your budget and leave it at that.
Sounds like you found the right food. What do you know about Birkdale?

Brad-and-Brodix
Newborn Bully

Postby Brad-and-Brodix » Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:36 pm

Legend wrote:So I guess NOTHING in PETSMART is good????

WHICH IS BETTER ? EVO or Nature's Variety?

I'm not going to say its "better or worse", but I do know they sell it at petsmart, or used too, but we've fed Brodix "Blue Buffalo puppy" about all his life and have had great results so far.

Alaskan4ever
Newborn Bully

I think the ULTRA NUTRO HOLISTIC is the BEST

Postby Alaskan4ever » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:41 am

I have fed mine this for over 2 yrs and it is all human grade meats and vegetables. It contains NO corn and has not artificial colors or flavors not to mention any other harmful chemicals. The NO corn is especially important to me and my dogs because that is a MAJOR commercially dog food filler!
:thumbsup:

Kilo75
Newborn Bully

Re: Top 5 Foods

Postby Kilo75 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:07 am

barbponys wrote:Number 5 with 1 1/2 stars would be Canidae:
This is a decent food, much better than a lot of the big names out there. My main complaint is that they use sunflower oil and, eventually, most dogs will have trouble with it. It’s a good middle of the road food for a lot of people coming off grocery store or big name foods. It shows them the benefits of feeding better quality.

What kind of "trouble" will sunflower oil cause? Has anyone been on Canidae for a long period of time and had any problems or not had any problems? I just got a 40lb bag and don't want to have to change to another brand after this bag unless i have to.

Lanolar
***WARNING2***
***WARNING2***

Re: Top 5 Foods

Postby Lanolar » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:30 pm

Kilo75 wrote:
barbponys wrote:Number 5 with 1 1/2 stars would be Canidae:
This is a decent food, much better than a lot of the big names out there. My main complaint is that they use sunflower oil and, eventually, most dogs will have trouble with it. It’s a good middle of the road food for a lot of people coming off grocery store or big name foods. It shows them the benefits of feeding better quality.

What kind of "trouble" will sunflower oil cause? Has anyone been on Canidae for a long period of time and had any problems or not had any problems? I just got a 40lb bag and don't want to have to change to another brand after this bag unless i have to.

Some dogs have a little bit of loose stool from it.

Return to “Health Issues”