Top 5 Foods

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Linariel
Addicted to PBF

Postby Linariel » Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:39 pm

What food is that? It doesn't look very good, wheat is one of the most common allergies in dogs.

jaybee1

Postby jaybee1 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:37 pm

Authority harvest baked, Its a petsmart brand

Linariel
Addicted to PBF

Postby Linariel » Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:45 pm

It's okay except for the wheat.

Do you have a Pet Supplies Plus near you? You can get better quality food for the same price.

jaybee1

Postby jaybee1 » Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:16 am

yeah theres one here. what do you recommend?

Linariel
Addicted to PBF

Postby Linariel » Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:53 pm

Merrick, Canidae(less expensive than most good foods, and still really good)....I am having a moment and that's all I can think of!

I don't know about everyone else's Pet Supplies Plus stores, but mine have pushy employees that try to sell me Iams instead of the good stuff. So make up your mind before you go in, just in case.

Merrick is more expensive, though it has as much grain as Canidae-but I think it's worth it because they use organic chicken in one of their fomulas, and hormone free in all the rest.

Also, it has dehydrated peas and carrots that my dogs love! It has potato chunks too, which for some reason don't bother my dogs like potato *in* the kibble does...I have no idea why.

jaybee1

Postby jaybee1 » Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:14 pm

Thanks Im gonna try Merrick. I noticed that they have a puppy food. In other threads that I have read that puppy foods are just a gimmick. My girl is under a year, so would I need to get the puppy food. Or could I feed her any of the foods that they make? Thanks for your help!

Linariel
Addicted to PBF

Postby Linariel » Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:33 pm

Nope, go with regular food! Puppy food can actually mess up her growth, making her grow too fast, which can lead to joint problems.

Angels3
Adolescent Bully

Postby Angels3 » Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:26 pm

has anyone heard of Blue Buffalo??? Anyone use this or any information on this, I have got to get my pup off of purina ONE.

Linariel
Addicted to PBF

Postby Linariel » Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:01 pm

Blue Buffalo is definitely a step up from Purina One!

It is not really worth the price as far as the ingredients go, but I think it's worth the price to get your dog off of Purina.

Try Pet Supplies Plus stores, they carry Canidae, much cheaper and similar in quality.

I swear, I am owning this sticky, no one else ever checks it. 8)

whiskeyman

Postby whiskeyman » Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:47 pm

Linariel wrote:I don't know about everyone else's Pet Supplies Plus stores, but mine have pushy employees that try to sell me Iams instead of the good stuff. So make up your mind before you go in, just in case.

Same here. My PSP store is really new and I just starrted shopping there a few months ago. It was funny the first few times I was there shopping for dog food because of course I was rading all the labels and the sales people were jsut standing back looking at me in wonder. I suppose I was taking too long for their liking because two seperate employess came up to me withing a 10 minute span and offered me Iams. They offered me this because they have a frequent buyers plan which can save the consumre money and make them some money as well.

This is when I decided to see what they knew about dog food. I don't know a great dal but I do no more than the avareage pet store employee. These two jokers didn't have a clue and their only point was that their food of choice was scientificley fomulated and nutritionaly complete. I asked them to comapir the ingredients list and see which they would eat themselves. i didnt get an answer so I then asked them what some of the ingredients were and since they didn't have a clue they left me alone to purchase the food of my choice.

jeremy

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:26 pm

I am actually boycotting the Pet Supplies Plus that I used to love :sad:
I don't know if they've changed management or what, but the last two times I went in there, there were VERY rude, and not helpful at all. I will not give them another dime of my money. It's in Canton, for all you Michiganders.

patsyandweaver

Postby patsyandweaver » Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:16 am

When I was at my local store today, I asked about Merrick, since I read good things about it here. They only carry the canned food, not the dry.

Is the canned food well regarded as well as the dry? (I assume so, but thought I'd ask. Same question for Canidae, I suppose)

1lila1
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby 1lila1 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:26 pm

I feed my dog canned and dry Eagle Pack Holistic Select. She looks great and everyone thinks she's a puppy at almost 7 years old. It's a great food. I pay $35 for a 34 lb bag and about $1.19 for a can. She's 60 lbs and gets 2 C and 1/2 can a day. She is at her perfect weight for her body structure.

ella46
Super Bully

Postby ella46 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:06 pm

I can't wait untill my pro plan bag is empty. I will feed canidea and duck/carnibest. The last one is special meat in packages for dogs. Its a little like barf-in-a-package :))

verveel
Newborn Bully

Postby verveel » Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:27 pm

heeeeeey ella46 dind't expect you here nice to know that here are more dutch peeps then I tought :peace:

I give maxx only carnibest works out perfectly. i feed him around 700 gr a day

Return to “Health Issues”