Top 5 Foods

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
ella46
Super Bully

Postby ella46 » Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:09 am

Patch O' Pits wrote:Orijen appears to have too much protein. I'm surprised they are marketing it as a puppy food JMO

And it's 85 euros for 13 kg... Feeding ribeyesteaks is even cheaper!

MANSTAFF
Matured Bully

Postby MANSTAFF » Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:43 pm

And it's 85 euros for 13 kg... Feeding ribeyesteaks is even cheaper![/quote]
It's 50 bucks in Canada, small price to pay for good food.

MANSTAFF
Matured Bully

Postby MANSTAFF » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:07 pm

[quote="Patch O' Pits"]Orijen appears to have too much protein. I'm surprised they are marketing it as a puppy food JMO

What is the right amount of protein in your opinion?

MANSTAFF
Matured Bully

Postby MANSTAFF » Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:55 pm

[quote="MANSTAFF"][quote="Patch O' Pits"]Orijen appears to have too much protein. I'm surprised they are marketing it as a puppy food JMO

Orijen's high protein diet eliminates the need for grains and reduces the reliance on carbohydrates to provide inexpensive but inappropriate energy sources. Unlike carbs. which can adversly affect blood sugars and are easily stored in the body as fat, any unused protein is removed through normal bodily functions. High protein diets are naturally more satiating, dogs consume less than they would off other commercial pet foods. Fresh chicken, Fresh caught whitefish, Farm fresh eggs, all three arrive fresh, not frozen or dried, all fit for human consumption. They use highly controlled, low temp. (90C) processing methods,steam cook fresh ingredients in small batches to preserve natural goodness and taste. Orijen does not contain biologically inappropriate ingredients such as cereal grains. Instead of grains, a full 30 percent of Orijen diets comes from regional fruits, vegtables and botanicles. These healthful ingredients match the natural diet and supply important protector nutrients like B-vitamins, essential minerals and valuable enzymes that enhance immunity and wellness in dogs.
70 percent vet inspected meats
30 percent fruit,vegetables and botanicles
0 percent grain
= I haven't found anything better in the research I have done. I am willing to fork out a little more $$ to provide my dog with the best nutrition available in a kibble. Anyway, Orijen should pay me for the plug!!
:headbang: Lee.

NICSMACKIN
Newborn Bully

Natures Variety questions

Postby NICSMACKIN » Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:11 pm

MANSTAFF.. what an adorable dog you have!

Does anyone use the Natures Variety Rotation Diet?

Also does anyone use the Natures Variety New Zealand
Venison Meal & Millet Medley?

My Kya has such horrible allergies, she spends the entire day, night what have you itching and itching and I decided to take her off of IAMS and find a good allergy diet food. I read the 5 top foods. Timberwolf is not sold here in MN so I went to the next best one. Natures Variety.

Any suggestions?

X-girl

Re: Natures Variety questions

Postby X-girl » Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:32 pm

NICSMACKIN wrote:Also does anyone use the Natures Variety New Zealand
Venison Meal & Millet Medley?

Many members feed this food, including myself. I will not switch from it.

NICSMACKIN
Newborn Bully

Postby NICSMACKIN » Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:39 pm

Oh good thank you! I am going to try it. My vet has been having me put her on prodesone (spelling) pills and I guess those are not good to take for long periods of time. SO I want to find something else to help her. Hopefully this works~ :thumbsup:

X-girl

Postby X-girl » Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:17 pm

NICSMACKIN wrote:Oh good thank you! I am going to try it. My vet has been having me put her on prodesone (spelling) pills and I guess those are not good to take for long periods of time. SO I want to find something else to help her. Hopefully this works~ :thumbsup:

It definitely isn't good - at all. Be careful and get her off it right away with the vet's supervision, in fact you may want to start looking for a new vet. (Steroids are not to be administered willy-nilly.) The food alone may not help as she may have environmental allergies, too but constant doses of prednisone isn't the answer! Good luck!

NICSMACKIN
Newborn Bully

Postby NICSMACKIN » Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:57 pm

See thats what I thought. I usually go to the vet once a month with her because the allergies get so bad she has red patches all over her body and he gives her a shot that lasts about 1 month. So finally last month he gave me that bottle of prednisone and said to only use it when you have to. Well we gave her a pill yesterday and I just called them this morning to find out the dosages because he wrote "take as directed" and the bottle had no direction. So the vet said to start out with one two times a day and as soon as it works lower the dose to once and then half a pill and then none.. Anyway that seemed sketchy to me, especially since its not good for humans. So I am glad I hadn't given her anymore than one. So she should be alright if I just dont give her anymore right?

I wish I knew what else to do for her, she literally looks like shes been in dog fights because the tips of her ears have bleed from scratching so much they dont grow hair anymore. I keep her bedding all cotton and dust and vac as much as I can. My poor doggie.. Its so frustrating. I feel so bad for her.
Thanks for your help.

Chrissie
Newborn Bully

Postby Chrissie » Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:31 pm

My dogs eat Timberwolf, and Wellness canned food, and they eat raw patties, and some RAW blended stuff by a great place called Aunt Jennies.

I have a Booth Feed store 15mins away, that sells Wellness, Canidae, Natures Variety, Solid Gold, Merrick, Chicken Soup, and another god brand or two.

I drive 30minutes every time I am out of Timberwolf, to pick up new bags that are sold at a groomers. Since I live near D.C there are tons of little pet stores that sell the good stuff...not Iam and other crap..

diana247
Adolescent Bully

Postby diana247 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:45 pm

My dogs have been on Canidae since about last April. Before that I had fed Iams. In the last few months though, my oldest is extremely gassy. It seems like it's constant, especially at night when she's just sleeping. I've tried the yogurt for the past couple of weeks and that doesn't seem to help. Any ideas of what I could try or a different type of food to switch to?

thebergs23

Dr Foster and Smith's

Postby thebergs23 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:02 am

Has anyone ever heard of Dr. Foster and Smith's if so what do you think have you fed are you still feeding? Just started my dogs on it switching from Purina One.

spoon
Newborn Bully

Postby spoon » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:29 am

Forgive my not wanting to skim through 23 pages, but I have a question.

Is Eukanuba not good enough for my dog? Why not?

Where can I get Timberwolf? I have never in my life seen for sale or even heard of this dog food. Thanks for the info everyone! :thumbsup:

-Justin

TexasGlock23
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby TexasGlock23 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:36 am

TW is online only as far as I know.

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:26 pm

TexasGlock23 wrote:TW is online only as far as I know.

There are some distributors for timberwolf, but not many. This is one of the reasons I haven't tried it.
Timberwolf Distributors

Return to “Health Issues”