Top 5 Foods

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
ScottP
Newborn Bully

Postby ScottP » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:06 pm

Oh yeah and I am paying $41 + tax for the Nutro garbage so its really bothering me that I am feeding them garbage and getting bent over buying it :po:

snoopsnoop
Forum Junky

Postby snoopsnoop » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:10 pm

ScottP wrote:I have been feeding my pups Nutro Ultra because my breeder recommended it by from reading on here it sounds like garbage.
I want to feed my pups the best I can get but all I have around me is Pet smart and Petco.

I tried calling every pet store around here and no quality foods.

I live in central Texas, Ft. Hood to be exact. Does anyone know where I can get some Canidae, Timberwolf, Merritt, something good without getting raped on shipping? You would think with all the military here we'd have a better selection.

Can any body help me find some good food. I found some raw neck bones and gave them some of those and they loved em. I have no experience on raw or barf feeding so I didn't want to over do it.

I did find some Timberwolf on amazon for like $48 for a 33lb bag or like $82 I think for 2 bags but shipping was going to be $40+ so there went that idea.

Help a brotha out :crybaby:

check out the canidae website and the merrick website (merrickpetcare.com), they have store locators on their site. TW might too. TW also has free shipping, if I recall correctly. Check out the site for Cali. Natural and Innova (www.naturapet.com) for places that carry their stuff. For some stores, you might want to call and confirm what they carry. merrick also does treats. some stores only do treats and not kibble.

If you are interested in keeping to Petsmart/Petco, there's Blue Buffalo which is about the same price as the Ultra. But for that price, you can get a better food. Natural Balance by Dick Van Patten is sold at PetCo, but same thing with BLUE, you can get a better food for the same price, you just have to know where to shop. All the big chains are going to be pricier because they have to make money. Find the small feed stores. usually privately owned. usually, at least in my area, the small stores are the only ones that carry the food worth feeding.

Good luck

ScottP
Newborn Bully

Postby ScottP » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:19 pm

Looking into it right now, thanks.

IamaDick
Addicted to PBF

Postby IamaDick » Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:58 pm

ScottP wrote:Looking into it right now, thanks.

Buy directly from TW, they have free shipping and i think a 30 lb bags runs about 42 bucks or so. Its nice because it comes straight to your door.

ScottP
Newborn Bully

Postby ScottP » Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:37 pm

IamaDick wrote:
ScottP wrote:Looking into it right now, thanks.

Buy directly from TW, they have free shipping and i think a 30 lb bags runs about 42 bucks or so. Its nice because it comes straight to your door.

Where did you see $42? I am seeing $50-$65 for the 33lb bag on the TW site.

Chrissie
Newborn Bully

Postby Chrissie » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:04 am

I feed my dogs Timberwolf..and its great cause to get the food its just a half hour drive away..I go and buy 5 33pd bags, since I have 3 dogs, and they last quite a while.

I live in the Washington d.c metropolitan area....and I buy the dog food at a groomers. The owner is really nice and knowledgeable on pet foods...she also sells a couple other good brands, including Aunt Jeni raw food..and DFr.Harvey.

I noticed that you can buy TW and Merrick among others on Amazon. Has anyone tried to do that?

ScottP
Newborn Bully

Postby ScottP » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:59 pm

yeah I tried that. I think two bags were discounted at $81.99 but shipping for me was another $41 dollars. I am going to call around locally and see what I can find tomorrow.

I remember reading that neck bones are good but the only ones at wally world is pork neck bones and I read that pork is bad but are these ok since there is not much meat?

ScottP
Newborn Bully

Postby ScottP » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:11 pm

Where's Barbpony when you need em?

ScottP
Newborn Bully

Postby ScottP » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:23 pm

Well I found some canidae for $36.95 for a 40lb bag. Does that sound right. They said it was in a green bag. Is that right?

snoopsnoop
Forum Junky

Postby snoopsnoop » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:40 pm

ScottP wrote:Well I found some canidae for $36.95 for a 40lb bag. Does that sound right. They said it was in a green bag. Is that right?

Price sounds about right. It can vary with each retailer and region of the country you are in. I know someone who gets it for something wild like $20 for the same size.
The bag, to my memory is green-ish with a pilar-thing that says canidae on it. I don't feed it, so I could be loopy

Is this it?

ScottP
Newborn Bully

Postby ScottP » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:48 pm

I only talked to her on the phone but she said she had lamb or chicken and rice. The all stages that is pictured is what I need to get right?
According to dogfoodanalysis.com the all stages is a 5 star with more protein than the other canidae's. I am willing to bet it costs more too.
I'll see tomorrow.

ScottP
Newborn Bully

Postby ScottP » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:50 pm

? Are pork neck bones good to get?

snoopsnoop
Forum Junky

Postby snoopsnoop » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:59 pm

ScottP wrote:I only talked to her on the phone but she said she had lamb or chicken and rice. The all stages that is pictured is what I need to get right?
According to dogfoodanalysis.com the all stages is a 5 star with more protein than the other canidae's. I am willing to bet it costs more too.
I'll see tomorrow.

The formula with only chicks and rice might be more than the standard which is 3 proteins but I dont know off the top of my head. The one pictured is the stanard kibble. Chicks and rice is yellow with the pillar-thing. Both formulas of Canidae are all-life stages. (pretty sure)http://canidae.com/dogs/all_life_stages/dry.html

According to the canidae.com website, the lamb/rice is a newer formula
http://canidae.com/dogs/lamb-and-rice/dry.html

The chicks and rice...http://canidae.com/dogs/chicken-and-rice/dry.html

Read up on all of them, and decide from there which would be best suited for you!

I don't use pork neck bones. Do a PBF search for it, see what else comes up. I know a lot of people feed turkey necks/bones in their raw feeding.
Maybe post on the BARF 101 thread?

ScottP
Newborn Bully

Postby ScottP » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:30 pm

ok thanks for the info.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:23 am

when i fed canidae i fed only the all life stages as it had more meat in it.. my dogs did better on the All Life Stages then the other ones. price wise it should be around $29-36 for a 40 lb bag

Return to “Health Issues”