Top 5 Foods

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Postby MMMaximus » Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:18 am

hey im just wondering if the food i should be buying off the website is called, Wilderness Elk Dry......I am coming off of Nutro for my pup, i want to stick with something that is good for him
MMMaximus
Newborn Bully

Postby 24HoursToLive » Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:36 am

Orange27 wrote:Premium Edge. They are both made by Diamond but are MUCH better quality foods. And they are very reasonable, as well. I buy Premium Edge at a local feed mill/coop for $25 for a 35# bag.

And Premium Edge Adult formula:

Ingredients

Chicken, chicken meal, whole grain brown rice, cracked pearled barley, white rice, turkey meal, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), oatmeal, potatoes, millet, egg product, flaxseed, natural chicken flavor, kelp, carrots, peas, tomatoes, apples, cranberry powder, rosemary extract, parsley flake, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, glucosamine hydrochloride, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, chondroitin sulfate, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, L-Carnitine, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity), riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

As you can see, Premium Edge has no corn, no by products, no brewer's rice or beet pulp (cheap fillers).

Barbponys can we get your opinion on this food?
24HoursToLive

Postby 24HoursToLive » Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:41 am

Barbponys wrote:For an average sized pit, 50#, you will feed 1.5 cups a day on the Timberwolf, it will last you 2 months. It feeds at a cup per 30#. $25 a month doesn't seem expensive to me? I go through about a bag a month feeding half dry and half raw to 5 dogs.

Nature's Variety feeds at a little faster rate. Depending on the formula it will range range from $40-$50 a bag. It's a 30# bag, it'll last your average dog about a month and a half. Wellness is about the same feeding rate. The price is a little higher.

Canidae is a 40# bag and costs about $36-$40. It feeds at about a cup per 20-25#, it will last your average dog 1.5-2 months.

Also Barbponys when you give these times thats feeding straight dry foods or mixed with BARF eg.-- am dry, pm BARF like your schedule?
24HoursToLive

Postby rgyoung777 » Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:45 am

24, here's a response about Premium Edge from Pat (barbponys) from a while back:

barbponys wrote:In the Wellness thread there was a question about this food. I did a quick search on it and it didn't read to terribly bad. It's not great, somewhere on par with Royal Canin which is outside my top 10.

I would like to see a little less grain in it. Most of the formulas have rice twice, whole grain brown(which is white rice with the hull still on it) and white. Some of them have rice and corn(lamb formula if I'm not mistaken) and one has potato, rice and corn. For dogs that have allergies, and for pits that's becoming a significant problem, most of these grains should be avoided. Hard to do I know but that's my opinion.

Their "low carb" formula is a bit disturbing to me. 44% protein and only 10% fat is way out of whack. If they could prove that most of that is meat protein maybe I would go for it but they still need to up the fat. If you put more meat than grain in a food the dog will lose weight regardless. Increasing the protein isn't the answer, increasing the MEAT based protein is. I didn't look at the cat food formula cuz I'm sure I would have groaned. Hope this helps some.

She also states her opinion of it in several places in the health section, including earlier in this thread. Just do a search for "Premium Edge" (choose "search for all terms"), fill out "barbponys" in the author field, and then choose to search in Health. I would also reccommend that you select "display results as posts", rather than "topics" as you can read the first few sentences that way to see if what you found is relevant.
Last edited by rgyoung777 on Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
rgyoung777
Addicted to PBF

Postby 24HoursToLive » Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:30 am

Thanks rg :thumbsup:
24HoursToLive

Postby hacknvp.com » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:02 pm

i have a brindle thats 6 weeks now what should i be feeding her? and does timberwolf make anything for that young of age if so i know the place to go that sells it.....i just kinda want a idea of the best to get before i show up not knowing anythng about their food ....i plan on switching my 3 year old pit and my roc also to it
hacknvp.com

Postby OlympianAB » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:30 pm

most people here will tell you do not worry about puppy food..

just feed her a little more..both of my dogs never had puppy food.. just dog food...
OlympianAB
Addicted to PBF

Postby hacknvp.com » Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:46 pm

well the more ive read about the RAW it seems to make more sense and i tested a few things to see if they would take it and they did without any problems
hacknvp.com

Postby hacknvp.com » Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:04 pm

i started mine on raw completly today and all 3 love it they took to it like crazy
hacknvp.com

Postby barbponys » Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:12 am

Excellent. How are you getting calcium to the 6 week old? Bones at this age are tough for them to crush properly. Their puppy teeth can't handle them all that well. Powdered egg shell is a good choice. I would also be giving the little guy goats milk.............
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby hacknvp.com » Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:56 am

barbponys wrote:Excellent. How are you getting calcium to the 6 week old? Bones at this age are tough for them to crush properly. Their puppy teeth can't handle them all that well. Powdered egg shell is a good choice. I would also be giving the little guy goats milk.............

ive been giving her the eggs with the shell crushed up and im not sure where to buy goats milk unless they sell it at the grocery store i havent looked....the little one likes the big meaty bones better the 3 year old she was taking off little bits as far as i could see...i was thinking about crushing them up but wasnt sure the best way to go about it
hacknvp.com

Postby trench » Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:38 pm

I've never seen any of those dog foods on guam. Only food I've seen is Science Diet, Iams, and Eukenuba.
trench

Postby barbponys » Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:29 pm

hacknvp.com wrote:
barbponys wrote:Excellent. How are you getting calcium to the 6 week old? Bones at this age are tough for them to crush properly. Their puppy teeth can't handle them all that well. Powdered egg shell is a good choice. I would also be giving the little guy goats milk.............

ive been giving her the eggs with the shell crushed up and im not sure where to buy goats milk unless they sell it at the grocery store i havent looked....the little one likes the big meaty bones better the 3 year old she was taking off little bits as far as i could see...i was thinking about crushing them up but wasnt sure the best way to go about it

A lot of grocery stores carry goats milk. Albertson, Safeway, Haggen, QFC. I don't know where you are but those are the big names around here, they all have it.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby hacknvp.com » Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:32 am

barbponys wrote:
hacknvp.com wrote:

A lot of grocery stores carry goats milk. Albertson, Safeway, Haggen, QFC. I don't know where you are but those are the big names around here, they all have it.

we have foodlion and thats the main one but i will check tomorrow and see if they have it.......my 3 year old is not liking to much of the raw stuff except the big meaty bones but the little one will eat anything and everything and if the 3 year old leaves his she will get it...so im going to try something else for him tomorrow...he didnt like the chicken wings or the fish..he likes the eggs
hacknvp.com

Postby Gordi » Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:05 am

Hey Barb ,What is BARF?
Gordi

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues