Top 5 Foods

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Postby barbponys » Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:38 am

Insomnia wrote:barbponys......how does the Innova Evo rank?

It doesn't. Partly because of the company and partly because I feel very strongly that the COOKED protein level in it will do damage. 42% is way too high. I'm talking years down the road. Not a month or 8. I'm waiting for the long term feeding results to start appearing. It's only been out a little over a year.
barbponys
Health Guru

Re: re

Postby barbponys » Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:41 am

Diane Jessup wrote:Sorry, no edit button. :sad:

So, I'm looking at the Timberwolf food, but can anyone explain to me why, after paying almost $50 a bag for dog food, I would feel compelled to:
Wilderness Elk Canid Formula™ is fully balanced and meets the requirements of all life stages, but we do encourage the adding of meats such as muscle meats, organ meats, sweetbreads (thymus, pancreas), eggs etc.

I mean, why should I have to ADD something to a $50 a bag bag of dog food? So any TW feeders do this, or just feed the food?

It has more to do with the fact that the owner is a strong believer in feeding raw. There's no such thing as a nutritionally complete dry food. I feed raw to my dogs and they are on Twolf. I won't feed just dry.

As to the Eagle Question? It's pretty low grade. You pay a lot for pretty poor food. It also has pork in it and a lot of dogs don't tolerate cooked pork well at all.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby barbponys » Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:50 am

No edit button :po:

The owner just raised the prices on the food, about a month ago. He assumed, wrongly, that the quality and performance of the food would keep people from balking at the $50 price tag. Our sales have fallen off. Everyone still loves the food but it's pretty steep. We were going through a ton a week, now? Only about 2/3rds of that. Our saving grace is we sell by the pound.............
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby abman » Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:33 pm

I may try timberwolf. Overall the evo hasnt impressed me enough to buy it again.
abman
Matured Bully

Postby Marilyn » Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:09 pm

This is a little off-subject but......

Does the FDA regulate dog food? I don't think so, but I'm not sure. The salesman at the pet store was trying to sell me Nutro and he told me that:

1) Nutro uses "table" quality lamb. What is "table" quality, does that mean human grade?
2) That Nutro is the only dog food FDA approved to improve a dog's coat and nails.
3) Nutro doesn't use any animal byproducts or fillers (is brewer's rice a filler?)

Thanks!
Marilyn

Postby barbponys » Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:19 pm

Marilyn wrote:This is a little off-subject but......

Does the FDA regulate dog food? I don't think so, but I'm not sure. The salesman at the pet store was trying to sell me Nutro and he told me that:

1) Nutro uses "table" quality lamb. What is "table" quality, does that mean human grade?
2) That Nutro is the only dog food FDA approved to improve a dog's coat and nails.
3) Nutro doesn't use any animal byproducts or fillers (is brewer's rice a filler?)

Thanks!

Uh, the dude is a liar or just doesn't know the right info.

Table quality is human grade. The FDA has nothing to do with pet food. AAFCO regulates that. Brewer's rice is filler. It doesn't have by-products. Lots of fillers though.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby Diamonds Ruff » Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:20 am

barbponys wrote:

Thanks!

Table quality is human grade. The FDA has nothing to do with pet food. AAFCO regulates that. Brewer's rice is filler. It doesn't have by-products. Lots of fillers though.

I was wondering about Nutro because that is what I feed my dogs. What is the price of canidae? I just got a 3 year old today and have a 5month old so I am wondering if I just feed them both adult...? I can't afford to buy them each their own bag.
Diamonds Ruff

Postby pblove » Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:05 am

barbs,
the bag of NV lists in order:
chicken, brown rice, barley, oatmeal, chicken fat........

Merrick (Grammy's Potpie) in order:
chicken, oatmeal, barley,chicken meal, whole brown rice, chicken fat.....

if animal fat is bad for our dogs, (Pancreas is it?), then why are these good foods?

also, would the Wellness simple diet (don't have a bag of that to comapre here, but store said it was no grians) be a better choice or does that have animal fat too?????
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby barbponys » Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:31 pm

Unfortunately, you have to pick your battles. Animal fat is one of the last things that will be removed from food. Using oils, high quality, correctly balanced, and not just for looks is expensive. One of the reasons I like Timberwolf so much is the fact that he uses oils in 4 of his 7 formulas. It's a huge selling point and the benefits are enormous. I still supplement with salmon oil, just to be sure.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby barbponys » Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:33 pm

Diamonds Ruff wrote:
barbponys wrote:

Thanks!

I was wondering about Nutro because that is what I feed my dogs. What is the price of canidae? I just got a 3 year old today and have a 5month old so I am wondering if I just feed them both adult...? I can't afford to buy them each their own bag.

Don't feed puppy. They can both eat adult. The price for Canidae depends on your area. We sell it for $33 for 40 pounds. It's an all life stage food. They do offer a senior, which is as worthless as puppy.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby nags » Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:43 am

wow, so many choices for food.... I don't even know where to begin.. My last dog lived off of Kibbles and Bits till the ripe age of almost 16yrs old and didn't have a single health problem his whole life... I'm not sure what to feed my puppy.. So far I'm feeding him Science Diet that my vet gave me
nags
Adolescent Bully

Postby barbponys » Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:14 pm

nags wrote:wow, so many choices for food.... I don't even know where to begin.. My last dog lived off of Kibbles and Bits till the ripe age of almost 16yrs old and didn't have a single health problem his whole life... I'm not sure what to feed my puppy.. So far I'm feeding him Science Diet that my vet gave me

You are paying way to much for crap. Check out:

http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=23039

And:

http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=5536

And:

http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=10841
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby nags » Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:16 pm

barbponys wrote:
nags wrote:wow, so many choices for food.... I don't even know where to begin.. My last dog lived off of Kibbles and Bits till the ripe age of almost 16yrs old and didn't have a single health problem his whole life... I'm not sure what to feed my puppy.. So far I'm feeding him Science Diet that my vet gave me

You are paying way to much for crap. Check out:

http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=23039

And:

http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=5536

And:

http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=10841

I understand the differences and all that... .was just making a statement :))
nags
Adolescent Bully

Postby nags » Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:27 am

Where are you guys getting timberwolf food? Is it pretty much the same price everywhere?
nags
Adolescent Bully

Postby Darlazmum » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:05 am

OK Jumping in what do you recommend for PUPPIES? she's 5 almost 6 months and I need to purchase asap so I can blend foods together
Darlazmum
Forum Junky

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues