Top 5 Foods

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Top Dry foods

Postby jcolt32 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:43 pm

You can't mention top dry foods unless you include Abady granular and Innova EVO as #1 or #2. Bottom line, dry dog food is no good for dogs. Grains and carbohydrates are deteriorating our companions, one generation at a time. You should feed RAW or a high quality canned diet that is primarily meat. TW is good. But, Abady is far superior and EVO has 42% protein and no grains at all. Watch out for the movement on oats too. Oats are toxic and just as bad for dogs as grain.
jcolt32

Re: Top Dry foods

Postby rgyoung777 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:17 pm

jcolt32 wrote:You can't mention top dry foods unless you include Abady granular and Innova EVO as #1 or #2. Bottom line, dry dog food is no good for dogs. Grains and carbohydrates are deteriorating our companions, one generation at a time. You should feed RAW or a high quality canned diet that is primarily meat. TW is good. But, Abady is far superior and EVO has 42% protein and no grains at all. Watch out for the movement on oats too. Oats are toxic and just as bad for dogs as grain.

Wait, you seriously tout Abady granular as being "far superior" to Timberwolf Organics?

The second ingredient in Abady Classic is CORN, the fourth ingredient is CORN, and the sixth ingredient is RICE. In the Abady Maintenance and Stress formula, corn is the third and fifth ingredient and rice is the eighth ingredient . The first ingredient in all the formulas I could find? Poultry byproduct meal.

There is only one Timberwolf formula that contains corn, and it is buried in the ingredient list. It is not a cornerstone of the diet as it quite obviously is in the Abady formulas.

How could Abady granular be superior to Evo, if you're using the food's grain content as a measure of quality?

Do you have sources to back up your statement that oats are "toxic"?

I think we can all agree that high grain content is something to avoid, but I would really like to see some sources/additional information for your claims.

I don't think I'd feed Abady if someone paid me to. :thumbsup:
rgyoung777
Addicted to PBF

Best food for possible food allergy

Postby JLJONES » Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:20 pm

My dog Jersey had demodex mange and I spent hundreds maybe even a thousand dollars to get rid of it. Now he has allergies and I was hoping that along with allergy testing is there a specific diet/food I can put Jersey on that would be the best for him.
JLJONES

Postby Sean W. » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:19 pm

rgyoung777 wrote:
jcolt32 wrote:You can't mention top dry foods unless you include Abady granular and Innova EVO as #1 or #2. Bottom line, dry dog food is no good for dogs. Grains and carbohydrates are deteriorating our companions, one generation at a time. You should feed RAW or a high quality canned diet that is primarily meat. TW is good. But, Abady is far superior and EVO has 42% protein and no grains at all. Watch out for the movement on oats too. Oats are toxic and just as bad for dogs as grain.

Wait, you seriously tout Abady granular as being "far superior" to Timberwolf Organics?

The second ingredient in Abady Classic is CORN, the fourth ingredient is CORN, and the sixth ingredient is RICE. In the Abady Maintenance and Stress formula, corn is the third and fifth ingredient and rice is the eighth ingredient . The first ingredient in all the formulas I could find? Poultry byproduct meal.

There is only one Timberwolf formula that contains corn, and it is buried in the ingredient list. It is not a cornerstone of the diet as it quite obviously is in the Abady formulas.

How could Abady granular be superior to Evo, if you're using the food's grain content as a measure of quality?

I think we can all agree that high grain content is something to avoid, but I would really like to see some sources/additional information for your claims.

Agreed. That food sounds like it sucks big eggs!

I don't mind the EVO, but I wouldn't feed it on a regular basis. Only during times of high work for maybe a week or two at the most. That 42% protein ratio seems like it would burn out the dogs kidneys over years of feeding. JMHO.

Oh, btw. I'm working very hard on getting a local pet store or two to pick up the Timberwolf brand. Might not be long before TW is "in a store near you". Or at least near me. hehe. lol I'll keep ya posted.
Sean W.
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Re: Best food for possible food allergy

Postby Sean W. » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:22 pm

JLJONES wrote:My dog Jersey had demodex mange and I spent hundreds maybe even a thousand dollars to get rid of it. Now he has allergies and I was hoping that along with allergy testing is there a specific diet/food I can put Jersey on that would be the best for him.

You might want to try Timberwolf Bison or go to raw food. I'm about to try K-9Kraving pre-made raw food. Several people at the club use it and they stand by it's quality :headbang: . I'll let you know how it works out. It'll be about 3 weeks or so before I start them out on that though.
Sean W.
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby barbponys » Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:09 pm

8l.............. Next thing you know Life's Abundance MUST be in the top 2 or 3. :yucky:
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby hacknvp.com » Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:02 pm

barbponys could u give me a run down on what order i should be feeding my dogs on BARF of each type of food
hacknvp.com

Postby PineysMom » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:26 pm

How do Nature's Variety raw and Nature's Variety kibble compare with Abady raw and Abady ground, pricewise? How much per day, let's say?
PineysMom
Forum Junky

Postby ewwies » Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:23 pm

Sean W. wrote:
rgyoung777 wrote:

Agreed. That food sounds like it sucks big eggs!

I don't mind the EVO, but I wouldn't feed it on a regular basis. Only during times of high work for maybe a week or two at the most. That 42% protein ratio seems like it would burn out the dogs kidneys over years of feeding. JMHO.

Oh, btw. I'm working very hard on getting a local pet store or two to pick up the Timberwolf brand. Might not be long before TW is "in a store near you". Or at least near me. hehe. lol I'll keep ya posted.

gosh i hope so. i would really would love to buy TW at my store. for now im just dealing with natures variety for my dog and cat.
ewwies
Addicted to PBF

Re: Best food for possible food allergy

Postby pblove » Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:18 am

JLJONES wrote:My dog Jersey had demodex mange and I spent hundreds maybe even a thousand dollars to get rid of it. Now he has allergies and I was hoping that along with allergy testing is there a specific diet/food I can put Jersey on that would be the best for him.

You need to know what he is alergic to,( if it is food at all), before you know what to feed him. Otherwise you are just playing a guessing game.
All dogs have the demodex mange mite, it is when their immune system is stressed that it becomes a problem.
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby Hoss » Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:46 pm

Anaheed wrote:How do Nature's Variety raw and Nature's Variety kibble compare with Abady raw and Abady ground, pricewise? How much per day, let's say?

NO comparison.. Abady is total crap, and natures variety frozen raw is pretty darn good lad !!
Hoss

Postby Jalelia » Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:12 am

I have a question...

I am feeding my puppy Nutro Max Puppy. I have been feeding her this for about 2 months now. I haven't experienced any problems with it, and it's probably the best food I have come across that is not outrageously priced. Well, my mom and sister think I am nuts for paying the price that I pay (My mom's dog gets Iams, and my sister feeds her dogs Pedigree). I had already made a switch from Pedigree to begin with, but now that I have been on this website, I have seen that maybe making the switch from Pedigree wasn't enough. The only thing that I can complain about, is the fact that my puppy has gas. I am stuck on believing it's a pit bull thing, though. My area doesn't carry a large variety of dog food, at all. The commercial brands are what I see most often. In fact, they only sell Nutro Max in 2 stores in my city. I would have to go about a half hour away, otherwise. SO, my question is...

How guilty should I be feeling for feedingNutro Max? I was looking for prices on all of the foods listed on the first page, and quite frankly, I don't have the money to pay or $40 for a 30 pound bag of food (Wellness). That would not include shipping, either. I have wanted to switch food anyway, because I buy a 17 pound bag (the only size available) and it goes very quickly.

Is there not an alternative to this food? I'm sorry if I sound like a bad owner, but if I am spending all my money on her dog food, she will pretty much be screwed when it comes to anything else. I mean, if someone can give me site with low prices, I would appreciate it, a lot. Buying any food that is not commercial, around here, would just be rip off. Since people don't really know about it, they don't get a lot, and charge a lot for what they do have.
Jalelia

Postby Hoss » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:04 am

If you do a search, you can find many foods that you can add to your dog food, to help out a bit. If you can find Canidae locally, it cost less to feed than most "cheap" dog foods. Don't just look at the price of the bag, but also factor in how much the bag will feed.
I would try to switch to a regular food, not a "puppy" formula also. :peace:
Hoss

Postby Jalelia » Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:35 am

Hoss wrote:If you do a search, you can find many foods that you can add to your dog food, to help out a bit. If you can find Canidae locally, it cost less to feed than most "cheap" dog foods. Don't just look at the price of the bag, but also factor in how much the bag will feed.
I would try to switch to a regular food, not a "puppy" formula also. :peace:

Why the switch to regular dog food? Don't the puppy foods give them things puppies need?

So, there are dog foods that are specificall made to add to other foods?

Thank you for your reply! :thumbsup:
Jalelia

Postby Hoss » Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:07 pm

Basically "puppy" formulas are a gimmick, mostly just marketing. None of the top foods offer a puppy formula. If you do a search you should find out lots of information on this subject. Things you can add to your food are plain yoguart, cottage cheese, vegatables. ect.. I think it would be best to do some research before you start to suplement your food though. At the moment I have 2 dogs, and it cost me under $30.00 per month, and I feed Natures variety kibble, Some months I feed Natures variety frozen raw in the morning, and kibble in the afternoon, but feeding the frozen raw adds about $25.00 a month to the feed bill. I do think its very good food though. :peace:
Hoss

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues