Top 5 Foods

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Postby chrisgnv » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:48 pm

Hey guys, I have a couple of questions even after reading though some of the pages of this thread...

1) My pup is 10 weeks old, and I bought her Purina Pro Plan Lamb & Rice before I even knew of this forum, and on her first day (2 weeks ago). After reading through this, I know it's pretty low grade, especially for the price. I want to switch over to Timberwolf (maybe Candidae). Which Timberwolf blend would you recommend for a 10 week old pup? I was thinking the Chicken and Herb because it says:

A highly nutritious diet designed for the long-term maintenance of dogs who have reached maturity as well as for growing puppies and is designed to provide optimum canine nutrition.

2) What would be some good food additives? Would de-shelled hard boiled eggs be good for her, or raw eggs? Also as for fresh meat, I still would feel a bit cautious about feeding my pup raw chicken or beef. It's really OK? Would it hurt to cook it?

Sorry if these have been answered but after reading I was still a bit confused. I'm almost out of the Pro Plan and need to get her a new bag of something before the end of the week.
chrisgnv
Newborn Bully

Postby apbtmayday » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:32 pm

I started my pup on Nutro "Natural Choice" Puppy, then put her on Nutro Ultra Wholistic Large Breed, then tried her out on a 5-lb bag of Buffalo Blue Lamb&Rice Puppy.

Now I have her on Blue Buffalo Wilderness and plan on keeping it at that forever. It's a great high protein/low carb food. good alternative to RAW.
Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Potato Starch, Turkey Meal, Whitefish Meal, Salmon Meal, Tomato Pomace (natural source of Lycopene), Chicken Fat (preserved with Natural Mixed Tocopherols), Oatmeal, Natural Chicken Flavor, Whole Carrots, Whole Sweet Potatoes, Blueberries, Cranberries, Flaxseed (natural source of Omega 6 Fatty Acids), Barley Grass, Dried Parsley, Alfalfa Meal, Kelp Meal
apbtmayday
Newborn Bully

sorry to add yet another question to this thread, but...

Postby PittiMama03031 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:01 am

I feed Moose Blue Buffalo large breed puppy formula. Does anyone have any opinions on that food?
PittiMama03031
Newborn Bully

Postby Kamauxx » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:38 pm

After a lot of research this morning, including this thread I've decided I'm going to go with Timberwolf Wild & Natural for my new dog, and I'm wondering if someone knows where's the cheapest place I can find some.

I read earlier today someone found some for 40 bucks for a 33lb bag but all I've found is 65 bucks for the same bag.

Any help is appreciated.
Kamauxx
Newborn Bully

Postby snoopsnoop » Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:26 pm

Kamauxx wrote:After a lot of research this morning, including this thread I've decided I'm going to go with Timberwolf Wild & Natural for my new dog, and I'm wondering if someone knows where's the cheapest place I can find some.

I read earlier today someone found some for 40 bucks for a 33lb bag but all I've found is 65 bucks for the same bag.

Any help is appreciated.

The closest place I found near you is 34 miles away. Seems kinda far to go for dog food.
GO Pet GO|34.03
10201 N Oak Trafficway
Kansas City, MO
Phone: 816-734-1535
Approximately 34 mile/s Away.

There is a food that a lot of people have turned to since the ingredient changes came to light from TWO. I, myself, feed this with beautiful results and the dogs love it. Taste of the Wild (http://tasteofthewildpetfood.com) And they have retailers that are closer:
Goode Feed
19880 Floyd
Stilwell, Kansas 66085
Phone: 913-681-5055
Distance: 8.0 miles

Ramsey's Feed and Farm Supply
1406 S. Commercial
Harrisonville, Missouri 64701
Phone: 816-884-6622
Distance: 15.0 miles

Y Bar H
1030 East Sante Fe Street
Olathe, Kansas 66061
Phone: 913-764-4626
Distance: 15.2 miles

Feldmans Farm & Home
310 S 7 Hwy
Blue Springs, Missouri 64014
Phone: 816-229-2221
Fax: 816-228-9719
Distance: 19.9 miles

Desoto Feed and Grain
8155 Hadley
Desoto, Kansas 66018
Phone: 913-585-1112
Distance: 25.6 miles

Feldmans Farm & Home
430 N 130th St
Bonner Springs, Kansas 66012
Phone: 913-721-5258
Distance: 27.5 miles

Feldmans Farm & Home
300 S 291 Hwy
Liberty, Missouri 64068
Phone: 816-792-0994
Fax: 816-407-9073
Distance: 29.9 miles

Not to mention that TOTW is generally cheaper than TWO, and, personally, it's a better food. Rumor has it that TOTW is the original maker of TWO, and after the ingredient changes from TWO, TOTW came out with their own.

if you're looking for higher protein food, like W&N, take a look at the High Prairie formula from TOTW. It's 32%, as opposed to the 36% W&N has, but there is more meat to be had in TOTW. Look for yourself:

Ingredients: Chicken Meal, Chicken, Chicken Fat, Dried Potato Product, Salmon Meal, Natural Flavors, Salmon Oil, Dried Egg Product, Dried Kelp, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Dried Carrots, Dried Celery, Dried Beets, Dried Parsley, Dried Lettuce, Dried Watercress, Dried Spinach, Dried Tomato Pomace, DL-Methionine, Dried Whey Product, Casein, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Lecithin, Taurine, Brewers Dried Yeast, Dried Saccharomyces cerevisiae Fermentation Solubles, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Bacillus subtilis Fermentation Product, Dried Bifidobacterium thermophilum Fermentation Product, Dried Bifidobacterium longum Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococcus faecium Fermentation Product, Zinc Amino Acid Complex, Choline Chloride, Iron Amino Acid Complex Vitamin E Supplement, Manganese Amino Acid Complex, Copper Amino Acid Complex, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin A Acetate, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Cobalt Proteinate, Potassium Iodide, Sodium Selenite, Mixed Tocopherols (a natural preservative), Citric Acid, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Rosemary Extract.

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS
Crude Protein min. 36%
Crude Fat min. 18%
Crude Fiber max. 2.5%
Moisture max. 9%
Ash max. 5%
Calcium 1.4%
Phosphorous 1.1%
Copper 16 mg/kg
Vitamin A 22,000 IU/kg
Vitamin D 1,200 IU/kg
Vitamin E 350 IU/kg
*Taurine min. .17%
*Omega-6 Fatty Acids 3.4%
*Omega-3 Fatty Acids 1.2%

Compared to TOTW:

Ingredients
Bison, venison, lamb meal, chicken meal, egg product, sweet potatoes, peas, potatoes, canola oil, roasted bison, roasted venison, natural flavor, tomato pomace, ocean fish meal, choline chloride, dried chicory root, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, yucca schidigera extract, Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Saccharomyces cerevesiae fermentation solubles, dried Aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Crude Protein 32.0% Minimum
Crude Fat 18.0 Minimum
Crude Fiber 3.0% Maximum
Moisture 10.0% Maximum
Sodium 0.3% Maximum
Zinc 150 mg/kg Minimum
Selenium 0.4 mg/kg Minimum
Vitamin E 150 IU/kg Minimum
Omega-6 Fatty Acids * 2.8% Minimum
Omega-3 Fatty Acids * 0.3% Minimum

If you are concerned with what the definition of their ingredients are, check out here.

If you have more questions on TOTW, feel free to ask :thumbsup:
snoopsnoop
Forum Junky

Postby Kamauxx » Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:49 pm

Thanks for the headsup. What exactly is the problem with Timberwolf's new batch?

As of now I think I'll go with TOTW.
Kamauxx
Newborn Bully

Re: Top 5 Foods

Postby osiris3283 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:27 am

what about eukanuba or bill jack?
barbponys wrote:Sorry I didn't go top 10. The foods after 5 are pretty much the same and they all pretty much fall into the catagory of "old school" formulations.

Pet Food Ratings

I have been asked to rate both dry and raw foods. The dry foods will be listed in order of quality with an explanation of why it rates where it does.

At the top of my list with 4 stars is raw or BARF. It’s the most appropriate for dogs to eat, easiest for them to digest, and though there are inherent risks, the safest as well.

For dry foods the first at 3 stars would be Timberwolf:
With a very high percentage of meat based protein it is quite expensive. But since the dogs don’t eat as much of it, it really ends up being a good buy. They also, as a general rule, don’t develop a lot of the usual issues they deal with when lower quality foods are fed. Their lowest protein formula starts with 50% meat based protein, their highest has 90% meat based protein. The more meat protein the less grain they use. There is a wide variety of formulas and 3 are true allergy formulas since they don’t use any form of rice, corn, wheat, or soy.

Number two with 2 1/2 stars would be Nature’s Variety:
They use a standard kibble but when it’s cooled from the extrusion process they coat it in dehydrated raw food. They call this “Bio-coating”. It ups the meat percentage quite a bit, though pound for pound it’s still less than the Timberwolf. They have recently added an allergy formula, Venison with pumpkin seed and sweet potato. The dogs do well with it.

Number 3 with 2 1/4 stars would be Merrick:
Merrick also coats the kibble in dehydrated meat. They have added freeze dried vegetables and chunks of dehydrated meat in with the kibble. It has an added component of making gravy when warm water is added with the kibble. It takes a couple of minutes for it to thicken up but the dogs love it.

Number 4 with 1 3/4 stars would be Wellness. The biggest thing with this food that made it stand out is it is baked. It crumbles very easily, and is suppose to be easily digested. They were one of the first to come out with an alternative allergy formula with something other than lamb and rice.

Number 5 with 1 1/2 stars would be Canidae:
This is a decent food, much better than a lot of the big names out there. My main complaint is that they use sunflower oil and, eventually, most dogs will have trouble with it. It’s a good middle of the road food for a lot of people coming off grocery store or big name foods. It shows them the benefits of feeding better quality.
osiris3283
Newborn Bully

Re: Top 5 Foods

Postby snoopsnoop » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:26 am

osiris3283 wrote:what about eukanuba or bill jack?

They dont even fall into the top 10. There are much much better foods out there for a comparable price.
snoopsnoop
Forum Junky

Postby Monsta » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:08 pm

Does anyone else feed Solid Gold?
Monsta
Newborn Bully

Postby MsPsychotic » Thu May 08, 2008 12:43 pm

I have a kibble that I've been using with our older dog, Sally. She does well on it. She's a bit of a pudge, but with all of the "extras" that she gets from my 3yo son, I can honestly say I don't think it's because of her kibble.

During the first vet visit with Bear, the vet suggested Purina ONE Lamb and Rice for him. I didn't completely agree. I've never liked Purina, but I figured.. vet knows best, so I bought a small bag. We're nearing the end of that bag. I just ordered him a bag of Canidae Lamb and Rice formula because regardless of the vet recommendation.. I REALLY don't like Purina.

I saw aznchipmunk's 'Grading Scale' for kibble, so I compared Canidae to what we've been feeding Sally and the difference is minimal. So, I'm wondering what people think.

Sally is supposed to be around 80-90 pounds, but she's closer to the 90-95 pound range. She gets one and a half cups, twice a day. AM and PM.

Ingredients:
Lamb / lamb meal / whole grain brown rice / white rice / rice bran / egg product / cracked pearled barley / chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and Vitamin E) / beet pulp / potatoes / fish meal / flaxseed / natural flavor / millet / brewers dried yeast / potassium chloride / salt / choline chloride / carrots / peas / kelp / apples / dried skim milk / cranberry powder / rosemary extract / parsley flake / dried chicory root / glucosamine hydrochloride / taurine / vitamin E supplement / iron proteinate / zinc proteinate / copper proteinate / ferrous sulfate / zinc sulfate / copper sulfate / potassium iodine / thiamine mononitrate / manganese proteinate / manganous oxide / chondroitin sulfate / ascorbic acid / vitamin A supplement / biotin / calcium pantothenate / manganese sulfate / sodium selenite / pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6) / vitamin B12 supplement / riboflavin / vitamin D supplement / folic acid

Calorie Content:
3,653 kcal/kg (373 kcal/cup) Calculated Metabolizable Energy

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein 23.0% minimum
Crude Fat 14.0% minimum
Crude Fiber 4.0% maximum
Moisture 10.0% maximum
Zinc 200 mg/kg minimum
Selenium 0.4 mg/kg minimum
Vitamin E 150 IU/kg minimum
Omega-6 Fatty Acids 2.2% minimum*
Omega-3 Fatty Acids 0.4% minimum*
Glucosamine Hydrochloride 300 mg/kg minimum*
Chondroitin Sulfate 100 mg/kg minimum*

*Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profile.
MsPsychotic
Matured Bully

Postby PrincessZoe » Sun May 11, 2008 1:04 pm

Kamauxx wrote:After a lot of research this morning, including this thread I've decided I'm going to go with Timberwolf Wild & Natural for my new dog, and I'm wondering if someone knows where's the cheapest place I can find some.

When I was still feeding Timberwolf to Zoe (which, by the way, she thrived on until recently) I bought it directly from the manufacturer. I think that I was paying around $33 for a 16.5# bag with free shipping. It was actually my local pet shop that recommended that I order direct due to the higher prices in the store.

-
Jim
PrincessZoe
Newborn Bully

Postby stuck » Sat May 17, 2008 4:14 pm

Queston??
I been feeding 8 week old Jordan ( jeep / Sorrell ) Nutro puppy its been ok but im worried about the horror stories i been reading about it killing and making dogs sick an so on .....Would yall choose Blue Buffalo over Nutro?? and why

Thanks!!
stuck
Newborn Bully

Postby snoopsnoop » Sun May 18, 2008 10:25 am

stuck wrote:Queston??
I been feeding 8 week old Jordan ( jeep / Sorrell ) Nutro puppy its been ok but im worried about the horror stories i been reading about it killing and making dogs sick an so on .....Would yall choose Blue Buffalo over Nutro?? and why

Thanks!!

I personally would feed BLUE over Nutro. The ingredients are superior. They are guaranteed human-grade. They use fresh meat followed by a meat meal which indicates they use more mean than other foods. They use whole grains and do not use corn wheat or soy which can cause itchies to dogs who have allergies. It's a better food for pretty much the same price.
snoopsnoop
Forum Junky

Postby 4u2nv » Mon May 19, 2008 9:07 pm

there was comments earlier about cooked food why is it worse if its cooked like Innova Evo dog food........ please help explain
4u2nv
Newborn Bully

Postby snoopsnoop » Mon May 19, 2008 9:34 pm

4u2nv wrote:there was comments earlier about cooked food why is it worse if its cooked like Innova Evo dog food........ please help explain

Can you clarify?

Innova EVO is a very good kibble and I highly recommend it for those with highly active dogs. Some are concerned with feeding such a high amount of dry protein for a long term basis, but if the dog is active enough or you add a bit of water or canned food to the kibble, there is nothing to be concerned with as long as the dog performs well on the food.

One can choose to do a homecooked meal, though it doesnt always have to be cooked. Quite a few members do feed raw or follow the BARF diet, both of which are different than homecooked. If you are preparing your dogs' food with already cooked ingredients, as long as you are aware of all of the necessary vitamins your dog needs, accommodate your dogs protein/fat needs as well as maintain the proper balance between calcium and phosphorus, there is nothing wrong with not feeding a kibble.

Was I able to answer our question? If you need more clarification, please let me know.
snoopsnoop
Forum Junky

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues