Dewormer

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Dewormer

Postby jmann4 » Fri Jun 11, 2004 2:26 pm

I was wondering what you folks use to worm your dogs?
jmann4

Postby JessaNGizmo » Fri Jun 11, 2004 2:57 pm

Since Grunt is on Ivermectin hes on that for heartworm and also the mange.

Giz is on HeartGaurd once a month
JessaNGizmo

Postby pocketpit » Fri Jun 11, 2004 3:29 pm

Depends on what age the dog is and what I'm deworming for. The youngsters all get Strongid and most of the adults get Drontal.
pocketpit

Postby jmann4 » Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:43 pm

pocketpit wrote:Depends on what age the dog is and what I'm deworming for. The youngsters all get Strongid and most of the adults get Drontal.

The age is a pup and I'm not sure what kind of worms as it's not my dog.
jmann4

Postby Hooligan » Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:45 pm

You can use Ivermectin for Heartworms? How often do you dose?
Hooligan

types of worms

Postby bluesky1966 » Fri Jun 11, 2004 7:29 pm

ivermectin is what is in "Heartgaurd" a very tiny tiny amount ---ivermectin for heartworm microfilaria is once per month

Tapeworms have segments that dry up and look like dried rice and stick to the fur around the anus.
Roundworms give the dog a funny breath smell and is the most common type of worm in puppies and is contageous to humans and other dogs---use "Strongid" or other wormer with same contents--it is the most safest
bluesky1966

Postby elegy » Fri Jun 11, 2004 8:49 pm

depends on the type of worms. have a fecal run by your vet. different worms are best treated with different drugs.
elegy
Bully Ambassador

Postby Hooligan » Fri Jun 11, 2004 9:03 pm

SO is it the normal dosage by weight for heartworms?
Brooklyn and Hooligan just had heartworm testing done and I want to get them on something ASAP and using Ivermectin would be so much easier for me, bc the closest vet is 45 mins away. But my local pharmacy will give the the correct dosage amt. for $2.
Hooligan

straight from the horses' mouth

Postby bluesky1966 » Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:07 pm

"SO is it the normal dosage by weight for heartworms?"

yes it is by weight. see instructions below and notice it is "mcg not "mg"
miCrogram
not miligram
be sure to be careful with dosage amounts
see instructions from HEARTGAURD themselves
they tell you the correct dosage for each weight catagory

Active Ingredient(s): Each tablet contains either:
Ivermectin 68 mcg, 136 mcg or 272 mcg

Indications: For use in dogs to prevent canine heartworm disease. HEARTGARD® (ivermectin) prevents heartworm disease by eliminating the tissue stage of heartworm larvae (Dirofilaria immitis) for a month (30 days) after infection.

Dosage and Administration:
Dosage: HEARTGARD® Tablets should be administered orally at monthly intervals at the recommended minimum dose level of 6 mcg of ivermectin per kilogram (2.72 mcg/lb) of body weight (See Administration). The recommended dosage schedule for prevention of canine heartworm disease is as follows:
Dog Weight Tablets Per Month Ivermectin Per Tablet Color on Carton
Up to 25 lb 1 68 mcg Blue
26 to 50 lb 1 136 mcg Green
51 to 100 lb 1 272 mcg Brown

Give dogs over 100 lb the appropriate combination of tablets.
HEARTGARD® is recommended for use in dogs 6 weeks of age or older.
bluesky1966

Postby moto1320 » Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:07 pm

Ivermectin for the obvious, and Panacure for the whip worms mine pick up visiting the shelter.
moto1320
Regulator

Postby barbponys » Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:36 pm

Makes the breath smell funny how??? Kinda metalic?? Garions breath has been kinda weird the last couple of days. He's been wormed with strongid in the last week but his breath still smells funny.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby barbponys » Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:37 pm

Oh and he pooped a load of huge white round worms out the next morning. He was wormed last friday.
barbponys
Health Guru

roundworms

Postby bluesky1966 » Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:47 pm

barbponys wrote:Makes the breath smell funny how??? Kinda metalic?? Garions breath has been kinda weird the last couple of days. He's been wormed with strongid in the last week but his breath still smells funny.

People call it "puppy breath" because 95% of pups are born with roundworms. i guess you could say it is a little metallic smell --i forgot but is a little bit of a heavy smell almost like blood smell. the smell wont go away until all of the worms are gone. they can also give the pup a "potbelly" in heavy cases of roundworm infestation. when they are gone the pup looks "lean n mean" :))

It takes almost 3 times of deworming to get rid of roundworms. This is because the deworming medicine only kills the live adult worms not the baby worms still safe in the eggs in the intestines and any eggs the puppy licks up in the interim.
The eggs that are in the environment can re-infect the puppy so make sure every speck of feces is picked up or washed away with a 10% bleach solution
rounworm eggs can live in the soil for upto 2 years!
bluesky1966

Postby pocketpit » Sat Jun 12, 2004 3:06 am

Barbponys,
Get Garion de wormed again 14 days after this last worming! Despite the four de wormings his littermates have had (and Garion too now) two of the other pups passed large amounts of roundworms after the 4th time. They're gonna need another one. I'm sort of puzzled as to why these particular pups seems to have such a problem especially since we've done the recommended wormings and on the recommended schedule. :huh?:
pocketpit

Postby bluesky1966 » Sat Jun 12, 2004 1:01 pm

"I'm sort of puzzled as to why these particular pups seems to have such a problem especially since we've done the recommended wormings and on the recommended schedule. "

there could be eggs in the environment that they are re-infecting themselves with either that or they could just have a large load of parasites that take more dewormer to kill
bluesky1966

Next

Return to Health Issues