Dewormer

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Postby moto1320 » Sat Jun 12, 2004 2:33 pm

Ahhh, good tip. I didn't think that Doc's worming cycle prior to us getting him took care of everything. His breath also had a serious blood smell. Rachel thought I was nuts because it was bothering me. Now I know... :thumbsup:
moto1320
Regulator

roundworm lifestyle

Postby bluesky1966 » Sat Jun 12, 2004 6:11 pm

another reason that you see round worms after they were dewormed once is that juvenile roundworms migrating through the liver and lungs also will not be killed by conventional wormers. This is why we like to worm puppies and kittens twice three weeks apart. This allows all migrating juveniles to reach the intestine where they are easily killed.
bluesky1966

Postby daija » Sat Jun 12, 2004 6:41 pm

our pit pup has been actin real weird lately, not movin much, whinin quite a bit, scratches her ears a lot, and knaws on her rear foot, also plops down like a sack of potatoes(or is that normal?), and i noticed todya she looked a little fat, and her veins were much darker than normal, so that made her normally pink belly look almost purple....a week ago she was a lot thinner...i don't want nothin to happen to our baby ;(, i don't think she's been dewormed yet, she's 4months old, i'm a newb and dunno what to do...what hsould i do???and sometimes she just looks plain uncomfortable, and she grunts a lot, and wheezes when she breathes out of her mouth....
daija

worms?

Postby bluesky1966 » Sat Jun 12, 2004 7:39 pm

"a week ago she was a lot thinner.." none of the worms that puppies can get can cause major heath problems in a 4 month old puppy . The only worm that really causes problems is a hookworm it drinks blood from inside the puppy and makes them really weak and have pale gums. Hookworms are mainly found in wet areas of the US where the grass is always wet so they can crawl in thru the skin of the feet. However none of the symptoms you have mentioned indicate that your puppy is having problems with worms. If your puppy is eating less or seems really tired I would take the puppy to the vet. Has your puppy had any vaccines?
bluesky1966

Postby bluesky1966 » Sat Jun 12, 2004 7:45 pm

"our pit pup has been actin real weird lately, not movin much, whinin quite a bit, scratches her ears a lot, and knaws on her rear foot, also plops down like a sack of potatoes(or is that normal?), and i noticed todya she looked a little fat, and her veins were much darker than normal, so that made her normally pink belly look almost purple...."

scratching can cause skin to turn darker . Is she scratching her belly?

also when a puppy gets older the skin color can change some

if you are really worried id go to a vet because there are some rare disease that can cause bruising and turn the skin a true purple--if it is bruising i would call the vet
bluesky1966

Postby pocketpit » Sat Jun 12, 2004 10:14 pm

there could be eggs in the environment that they are re-infecting themselves

Good point Bluesky!
I wish that were the case though. The pups have been rotated (I have several sectioned off areas of yard) to different yards. Not right after the de-wormings but soon thereafter. I guess they just have a really heavy infestation which is weird because they began being wormed at 2 weeks of age. I don't like medicating such young animals so I did wait longer (4 weeks to be exact) before starting a schedule. They were de-wormed at 2 wks, 6wks, 8 wks, and 10 wks. And still aparently need another one. I guess that 4 weeks period was enough to really allow them to take hold. I've NEVER had an issue like this before. Any of my personal pups or foster pups had 2-3 dewormings (usually two) and that's all it took.
pocketpit

are they still nursing?

Postby bluesky1966 » Sat Jun 12, 2004 10:55 pm

a source of infection is through the mother's milk - Roundworm larva can gain entry into the mammary glands and then be passed to the puppies as they nurse.
A possibility is if the young animal should eat an embryonated egg found in fecal contamination of food or water bowls, the nesting box or other environmental sources.

just a possibility :))
bluesky1966

for the 4mo old puppy

Postby bluesky1966 » Sat Jun 12, 2004 11:17 pm

"...and sometimes she just looks plain uncomfortable, and she grunts a lot, and wheezes when she breathes out of her mouth...."

roundworms can cause pain and "colicky feelings" for the pup so if your pup has been grunting it could be a sign that your puppy has roundworms.

More important to the pet's health are the migrating juveniles. As they pass thru the liver and lungs they can cause verminous pneumonia or hepatitis. Signs of roundworm infestation include: dull hair coat, pot-bellied unthrify appearance, poor weight gain, vomiting, coughing, intermittent diarrhea or constipation. Heavily infested puppies or kittens occasionally die of worm-related pneumonia.

here is quote from a veterinarian :"Signs of roundworm infection include lethargy, weakness, vomiting, diarrhea, and coughing. A rounded “pot belly” and colicky pain are also found commonly. Entire litters are often affected. Diagnosis is based on physical exam and a fecal evaluation for roundworm eggs."

you can see that they say that an uncomfortable pain in the belly can occur.
Because the worming medicine wont kill the baby worms that are traveling thru the body you should deworm the puppy more than once to catch the baby worms as they grow up and go into the intestines
bluesky1966

Postby jamobi » Sun Jun 13, 2004 6:53 pm

Bluesky, you seem to know a lot about worms.
My red nose will play with his ball in all kinds of dirt and leaves and such. After about 3 minutes the ball is covered in dirt but he still will not leave it alone. Can he get worms from the dirt on his ball? He'll swallow a lot of the dirt from contact with the ball. He's in perfect health and i don't see anything unusual in his stool. He's currently on heartguard plus, so should i not worry about his dirty tennis ball playing habits?
jamobi

Postby bluesky1966 » Sun Jun 13, 2004 7:28 pm

jamobi wrote:Bluesky, you seem to know a lot about worms.
My red nose will play with his ball in all kinds of dirt and leaves and such. After about 3 minutes the ball is covered in dirt but he still will not leave it alone. Can he get worms from the dirt on his ball? He'll swallow a lot of the dirt from contact with the ball. He's in perfect health and i don't see anything unusual in his stool. He's currently on heartguard plus, so should i not worry about his dirty tennis ball playing habits?

If your dog is an adult and in good health your dog will not become ill from infestation by worms [as long as you do not have exotic animals or wildlife defecating in your backyard roflmao ] but your dog can have one or 2 worms hanging out in the intestines without showing any signs or even showing up in a fecal lab test.
So, YES your dog CAN get worms from the dirt because the eggs can remain infective in the dirt for upto 2 years. Even though the one or 2 worms may not hurt your dog it can release eggs [if there is at least one boy worm and one girl worm in your dog's intestines] and therefore can be dangerous to children who can have major health problems from ingesting worm eggs in contrast to adults who rarely have any problems from ingesting canine roundworm eggs .
So even the CDC has recommended that dogs owners worm their adult dogs at least once per year for the sake of human health.
Many heartworm preventative medications contain an added drug that kills roundworms. That way your dog will be dewormed once per month if you give him "Heartgaurd Plus".

However if your dog has fleas he/she can get tapeworms at anytime.
bluesky1966

PS

Postby bluesky1966 » Sun Jun 13, 2004 8:12 pm

PS if your dog eats mice, rabbits, etc. he can also get roundworms and tapeworms that way too
bluesky1966

Postby jamobi » Sun Jun 13, 2004 9:55 pm

Thanks bluesky. The only "exotic" animal i have defacating in the backyard is my wife. :) Just kidding.
jamobi

Postby moto1320 » Mon Jun 14, 2004 5:47 pm

She's crazy like that, huh... roflmao
moto1320
Regulator

Postby DamnWRX » Tue Sep 07, 2004 5:18 pm

Is there any other type(s) of worms, coz' I saw alot of them on his poo, two I saw on my leg when I was holding and carrying him around, thought it was a peice of toilet paper til' i was paying attention to it when it was moving :yucky: (double) :yucky: it was flat & white can be pinkish less than 1/2 an inch.... don't know if it's a roundworm, heartworm, tapeworm or whatever, what is it? Anyone! :crybaby: :yucky:
Last edited by DamnWRX on Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
DamnWRX
Adolescent Bully

Postby Blue Steel » Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:30 am

As an additional tidbit of information regarding worms, environment, and reinfestation: Be sure to pick up all fecal material once eliminated and dispose of properly! Don't just leave their poop laying around to decompose naturally. Doing so will only reinfest the area with the worms (eggs) that one is trying to get rid of.

Did that make any sense?

Also, if the dog is four months old and never been wormed to the best of your knowledge, (have a stool sample checked and) get 'em wormed!!!!! Make sure you keep with the schedule, too. Some treatmens are for three days, while others are every other week for six to eight weeks, while still others vary inbetween. DO get it done for the health of your bully buddy.
Blue Steel

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues