Is he fat?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Naplis Slim
Newborn Bully

Is he fat?

Postby Naplis Slim » Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:11 am

Bo just turned 11mo. today. And since I've been here on the forum I've seen dogs that have little to no body fat on them. Bo and I swim once a week, and we walk about 3 miles every day but he still doesn't have the cuts that most dogs here do. What can I do?

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:22 am

I don't think he is "fat", just mabe chubby if he lost a couple of lbs you'd see more definition.

He is a baby give him time to develop. What his genetic make up is will play the biggest role though conditioning the dog also plays a part as well.

A lot of Bulky muscle is no good either as it makes it hard for the dog to move properly IMO

www.cafepress.com/patch_o_style
Last edited by Patch O' Pits on Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vitaliy

Postby Vitaliy » Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:33 am

What is his diet like? I also agree you should ignore it for now as he is still a pup.

GreddysAngel
Addicted to PBF

Postby GreddysAngel » Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:37 am

He looks too me like he can loose a few pounds. What are feeding and how much?

The others are right, genetics play a big role.

Here's a pic of my girl, I think she looks pretty good. I look for a nice tuck, and some ribs.

And my boy

rednoseErnie
Forum Junky

Postby rednoseErnie » Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:41 am

Agree with others: you should see a nice tuck, I don't see it on your dog. Also, he is still a puppy and won't be finished filling out til hes 1 1/2 or 2. Also, genetics plays a role, some pitbulls are just more cut than others.

Naplis Slim
Newborn Bully

Postby Naplis Slim » Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:42 am

He was on eukanuba at first until I read some food threds. I tried the Canidae and that gave him terrible gas and he snored. On the Innova (the gold bag), he scrached more and had a lot of eye boogers. So now it's the Eukanuba again.

Naplis Slim
Newborn Bully

Postby Naplis Slim » Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:45 am

rednoseErnie wrote:Agree with others: you should see a nice tuck, I don't see it on your dog. Also, he is still a puppy and won't be finished filling out til hes 1 1/2 or 2. Also, genetics plays a role, some pitbulls are just more cut than others.

when did you notice your dogs' tuck? Is this a natural thing, or do you have to build it?

ShadowWolf
Forum Junky

Postby ShadowWolf » Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:45 am

Try feeding him Wellness. Our lab reacted that way to the Canidae as well. Or Timberwolf. Both are good foods.

rednoseErnie
Forum Junky

Postby rednoseErnie » Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:46 am

Hes always had it. But, except for a brief chubby phase my dog has stayed pretty lean.

If you don't want to change foods, maybe you need to cut down on the amount. As a pup, Ernie ate like a horse (4 cups a day). At age 1, his metabolism slowed and we cut back to 3 cups. At age 2 or 3, we went down to 2 cups. Now hes 4, and even 2 cups may be a bit much, since hes not as lean as I'd like him to be!

Naplis Slim
Newborn Bully

Postby Naplis Slim » Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:48 am

[quote="GreddyGirl"]He looks too me like he can loose a few pounds. What are feeding and how much?

2 cups of Eukanuba twice a day, but he eats maybe half of that.

Naplis Slim
Newborn Bully

Postby Naplis Slim » Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:50 am

ShadowWolf wrote:Try feeding him Wellness. Our lab reacted that way to the Canidae as well. Or Timberwolf. Both are good foods.

I tried Wellness too! This dog is very picky... he also got bad gass from that too.

GreddysAngel
Addicted to PBF

Postby GreddysAngel » Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:53 am

I feed mine 1 cup in the am and 1 cup at night. Are you feeding alot of treats during the day?

Have you tried feeding raw? Ive heard good things about raw!

ShadowWolf
Forum Junky

Postby ShadowWolf » Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:03 am

This is Luna looking good -- 41# at 18.75". She gets 2 cups a day and she's 2 years. She works on the spring pole for about 45 minutes and she swims in our pool once a day. We do an hour long walk in the morning (both her and the fat lab) and a 20 minute jog in the evening.

During the winter months, she gets a bit pudgy since I don't have a mill. I'd like one, but right now, it's not possible. She does get settled into her weight pull harness to pull the kids around, though.

Igraine

Postby Igraine » Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:09 am

If I may say, Naplis Slim, I think your dog looks just fine. When he sits down, you don't see any tell-tale roll-o-fat that kind of hangs over the top of the back legs, like you would on a fat APBT (Rosie was a bit on the chunky side when I got her at one-year old.) Your boy looks to me to be in good condition ~ some dogs will never be "cut" and "ripped" like some of the gamebred ADBA dogs. :thumbsup:

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:14 am

Naplis Slim wrote:
ShadowWolf wrote:Try feeding him Wellness. Our lab reacted that way to the Canidae as well. Or Timberwolf. Both are good foods.

I tried Wellness too! This dog is very picky... he also got bad gass from that too.

Ok Get him off the Eukanube ASAP, that is all fillers and by products. Before I knew better my first dog ate that.

As for him being picky, he will start eating what you give him eventually.

Also until his system gets used to a new food you will find some dogs get gas.

Did you switch foods gradually? If not that is part of the problem.

You can also add things like yogurt or some canned pumpkin to get his system normal when switching.

Hope that helps

Return to “Health Issues”