Is he fat?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
dr961
Super Bully

tuck-ups etc.

Postby dr961 » Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:42 am

Naplis Slim wrote:when did you notice your dogs' tuck? Is this a natural thing, or do you have to build it?

***I think basic body type is genetic, so tuck-uped bellys are something that a dog either has or hasn't naturally, unless he is too fat, of course. IMO, your male is a bit overweight; I'd take a few pounds off him, esp. since he is just a young dog. That said, he looks like a large bully type, so he will probably never have the same look as one naturally slimmer no matter what you do.

As to food, if you like feeding Euk and your dog is doing fine on it, you don't necessarily have to change. Just feed a bit less, maybe 2 cups at one meal and 1 cup at the next, until he slims down a bit. There's no need to feed exactly the same amount every day--adjust it up or down depending on how the dog looks. With short haired dogs like ours, it's really easy to see if they're too fat or thin. People with hairy dogs like Samoyeds have a much harder time!

I've personally had great results feeding my dog Premium Edge chicken and rice adult. His coat has improved and he looks really tight and fit. Plus, no gas.

Naplis Slim
Newborn Bully

Postby Naplis Slim » Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:47 am

by cutting back a little on the feeding, what's the norm before you start to see results?

Pit Chick
Forum Junky

Postby Pit Chick » Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:49 am

I agree with Igraine that he looks good and he's not going to have that working dog physique like some of the dogs on here because he looks like he was bred for size and not performance. Genetics determine a lot in a dog's build and exercise only helps to keep them toned and in shape. I wouldn't call him fat by any means, just big and healthy. My 3 pits have different builds. My male has a tuck and would look more cut if I could exercise them. My females have couch potato physiques, but they aren't fat, just not as toned as they could be. I say, find the right food and keep exercising him like you do and he'll fill out to be one fine dog once he's an adult. :thumbsup:

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:50 pm

Your boy looks to be of a stockier build. I think he could stand to lose a few pounds, but it looks like he's just thick naturally. Genetics plays the biggest part in body type. My youngest bitch's normal couch weight is 43-44 pounds w/just walking and no extra conditioning. This winter I didn't adjust her food at all and her weight stayed consistent. She has a pretty nice tuck up whether I work her or not. She's not as muscular as in the warmer weather, but still slim.
I would get him on a better food, just because it can make a difference in lean muscle development. Find a food that has more protein sources than grains and other fillers. The Canidae is a good choice...don't know about Innova, a lot of people are on the fence about the protein level. Nature's Variety is a really good kibble and so is Timberwolf. Many dogs have gas no matter what you feed them. You can help his gut by giving him a couple tablespoons of plain lowfat yogurt w/his food. The live cultures are really good for digestion.

Breezi

Postby Breezi » Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:10 pm

Naplis Slim wrote:He was on eukanuba at first until I read some food threds. I tried the Canidae and that gave him terrible gas and he snored. On the Innova (the gold bag), he scrached more and had a lot of eye boogers. So now it's the Eukanuba again.

How long did you keep them on the Canidae and Innova?? I recently switched foods and the first 4 weeks they had terrible gas, but now it's much better!!

dra6onpit
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby dra6onpit » Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:37 pm

[quote="ShadowWolf"]Image

SHOW OFF!

- signed the jealous mom of two plump pups

roflmao

JK- Luna looks SOOOOO great :thumbsup:

EmilyS

my opinion

Postby EmilyS » Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:51 pm

Naplis Slim wrote:
GreddyGirl wrote:He looks too me like he can loose a few pounds. What are feeding and how much?

2 cups of Eukanuba twice a day, but he eats maybe half of that.

That's quite a bit, actually

and what about treats?

I bet you give him biscuits or table scraps! you have to factor those in

:tongue:

try cutting back on his food, especially now in the summer.

He's probably very fit, with the exercise you give him, but skinnier dogs are healthier than fat dogs (As a general rule)

Naplis Slim
Newborn Bully

Re: my opinion

Postby Naplis Slim » Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:26 pm

EmilyS wrote:
Naplis Slim wrote:
GreddyGirl wrote:He looks too me like he can loose a few pounds. What are feeding and how much?

2 cups of Eukanuba twice a day, but he eats maybe half of that.

That's quite a bit, actually

and what about treats?

I bet you give him biscuits or table scraps! you have to factor those in

:tongue:

try cutting back on his food, especially now in the summer.

He's probably very fit, with the exercise you give him, but skinnier dogs are healthier than fat dogs (As a general rule)

I'm not big on the treats. And table food in my house is for those of us that can fix our own plates.

EagleEye

Postby EagleEye » Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:12 pm

Naplis, Bo is a handsome bully boy but looks chubby in the pic. It sounds like you have him on a good excercise regime, but you might try adding a daily game of tug or ball or flirt pole. Also, the food IMO definitely should be improved. Better quality and less quantity.

Here's a pic of my guy Stockey. He's about 10 years old, 40-ish pounds, and is in lean condition. I feed him between 1 2/3 and 2 cups of Timberwolf kibble a day, plus a little egg, yogurt, etc. to moisten the food, and few treats in his Kong ball. He gets daily moderate excercise, usually 2 walks and a game of ball.

satanscheerleader
Addicted to PBF

Postby satanscheerleader » Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:42 pm

My dogs are naturally thicker with not much of a tuck. They range in weight from 65 to 95 pounds so I try and keep them nice and lean to avoid any excess stress on their joints especially now that most of them are seniors. What I do if I notice them getting a little chubby is I lower their food by 1/8 of a cup and keep them at that for a week. If in a week I think they can still use to loose a bit I lower it by another 1/8 of a cup. I do the opposite if I notice them looking to slim. I find their food quantity needs tend to fluctuate so I just keep an eye on them and feed them according to their needs.

Bustersmama
Addicted to PBF

Postby Bustersmama » Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:42 pm

And heres my .0002 cents worth...

I dont think your dog is fat, my dog is FAT, but I got him that way (he deserved to be spoiled for a while after being abused since puppyhood) and we all know its easier to put it on then to take it off....so its good you are recognizing the potential now before you have your work really cut out for you.

There are good ways to keep terrible gas at bay. BUSTER can clear a room if I dont keep yogurt in his daily diet. As far as the snoring goes, he snored like that before he ate Canidae and continues snoring on it.

I dont know if you feed rawhides, but those are something that triggers gas in my dog as well.

Good luck :thumbsup:

Bustersmama
Addicted to PBF

Postby Bustersmama » Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:45 pm

W (where) TF is the edit button, is this some mean game the mod's play on me??? roflmao :po:

I wanted to mention too that in the three months I have had Buster, going for regular walks and runs he has lost almost 13 pounds...but I dont have the luxury of a sprig pole work out, (YET) nor does he play much with my other dog. i hear swimming is a great work out as well if you can find the water...

ShadowWolf
Forum Junky

Postby ShadowWolf » Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:23 pm

dra6onpit wrote:
ShadowWolf wrote:Image

SHOW OFF!

- signed the jealous mom of two plump pups

roflmao

JK- Luna looks SOOOOO great :thumbsup:

lol I gotta be proud of her darn it! This is the best she's looked in two years! And your kids are adorable too, so there. :tongue:

jesseandalecia
Super Bully

Postby jesseandalecia » Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:24 pm

I think the gas is probably coming from switching foods so many times, especially if he's doing it with more than one of them.

Darlazmum
Forum Junky

Postby Darlazmum » Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:53 pm

I think it a combo of answers, food choice, and should only be a cup in morning and a cup in evening, build - but I think you could stilll get more definition, when you change foods are you gradually adding thejm to one another? It helps switches their body over....

Return to “Health Issues”