2 questions for my puppy

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

2 questions for my puppy

Postby Skeptik » Mon Jun 14, 2004 3:04 pm

1. I feed Keiko a mixture of dry and canned (Wellness) dog food. I switched her to this from Science Diet about a week ago. Could she still be responding to the change? Is canned food good or should I do all dry?

2. Her nails definately need to be clipped. Does anyone have a link to DIY clipping dog nails? or would someone like to write one up for those of us that haven't done it before? I'm mostly paranoid with cutting into the quick. And, I need to know what clippers work well.
Skeptik

Postby moto1320 » Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:23 pm

Go all dry if you can, it has more protien than the wet stuff. Plus, you don't want pup snubbing her nose at dry food waiting for the wet stuff.

In regards to the nails. If they are white/pink you can see the quick easily. Avoid it, easy enough. If they are dark, just take off a little more than the tip and let the file down the rest themselves on concrete. For some reason, my experience is that pits have the quick running much farther up the nail than other dogs. Any over the counter clipper at a pet store works fine.
moto1320
Regulator

Postby addy's daddy » Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:29 pm

hey,

I'm not an 'expert' but been clippin nails for about 15 years. Get yourself a jar of stiptic powder, just in case. I've only used it one time to stop a bleeder, the nail was split and when i cut it i caught the quick.

I just did addison's nails the other night and did them with basic nail clippers. I waited till she fell asleep on my lap and got em all done before she woke up.

Get a good set of stainless dog clippers too, and if all else fails a dremmel grinder will work on those iron nails.

If you dont cut past the hook you shouldn't have worry about the quick. It's quite easy to see on a puppy's nails.

make sure you give a treat when youre done.

good luck, and dont let em get too long. Cut a little more often and your dog will get used to it... maybe. ;)
addy's daddy

Postby Skeptik » Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:31 pm

Thanks moto

Yeah, she loves the canned stuff, so maybe I can slowly reduce the % of canned food each day without making her hate me for it, LOL.

And, I'll probably pick up some clippers and just nip the tips off (better safe than sorry).

:)
Skeptik

Postby Skeptik » Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:38 pm

addy's daddy wrote:
If you dont cut past the hook you shouldn't have worry about the quick. It's quite easy to see on a puppy's nails.

So, I'll be safe if I stay below the part where the nail takes a sharp turn?

It should be easy to do while she sleeps, she is a very heavy sleeper :))
Skeptik

Postby barbponys » Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:41 pm

I avoid using guillotine nail clippers. They are the ones that have a half moon hole you stick the nail through and the blade slides up and cuts the nail. They tend to split the nail and I don't like how they work.

[img]res727.jpg[/img]

I prefer the "pliers" type of clippers. Easier to use and last a hell of a lot longer.

[img]cpnail2.jpg[/img]

I hope the pictures actually work.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby barbponys » Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:44 pm

Ooookkkkk......that didn't work. Here's a web site that shows the different types.

http://www.dog-training.com/nailclip.htm

The last set of clippers before the styptic are the good ones, I have used the same pair for about 6 years now. I do the dogs nails every 2 weeks, that's alot of nails. :)) They are worth the cost.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby moto1320 » Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:43 pm

[quote="barbponys"]I avoid using guillotine nail clippers. They are the ones that have a half moon hole you stick the nail through and the blade slides up and cuts the nail. They tend to split the nail and I don't like how they work.quote]

:goodpost: I use the plier type too. The other kind suck when they get dull. It's like it crushes the nail off instead of cutting them. I still haven't had to trim my dogs nails in forever, except the dew claws. They wear them down themselves. Neither one seems to mind the process though. I keep the clippers in "their cabinet". The cabinet that contains all of their treats. All things in this magical place are good to them.
moto1320
Regulator

Postby addy's daddy » Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:25 pm

All things in this magical place are good to them.

roflmao

roflmao

that one got me.
addy's daddy

Postby ajarvis » Tue Jun 15, 2004 8:48 am

moto1320 wrote: :goodpost: I use the plier type too. The other kind suck when they get dull. It's like it crushes the nail off instead of cutting them. I still haven't had to trim my dogs nails in forever, except the dew claws. They wear them down themselves. Neither one seems to mind the process though. I keep the clippers in "their cabinet". The cabinet that contains all of their treats. All things in this magical place are good to them.

I like that idea of "their" cabinet. Especially keeping the clippers in their too! I'll have to remember that for when I get my puppy :)
ajarvis

Postby Skeptik » Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:38 pm

addy's daddy wrote:
All things in this magical place are good to them.

roflmao

roflmao

that one got me.

lol OMG, that's hillarious

Thanks guys. I borrowed some that were more like the pliers type shown and gave a little nip to all her nails on the front paws. I picked her up while she was sleeping and got the entire left paw before she started to catch on that something was up. Then the other one was a little tricky because she kept trying to sniff the clippers and I couldn't see what I was doing.
Skeptik

Return to Health Issues