How to make the coat shine...

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Naplis Slim
Newborn Bully

How to make the coat shine...

Postby Naplis Slim » Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:47 pm

I've seen a lot of pictures on here, and a lot of the dogs coats seem to almost shine. If any of you have any secrets; would you mind shairing them along with a good picture to prove it works :) ? Thanks

X-girl

Postby X-girl » Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:38 pm

It's mostly related to diet. High quality foods that many members swear by will do a world of good for a coat. Supplements like raw egg and fish oil (and others - Missing Link Plus worked for us) are great coat enhancers, too.

Naplis Slim
Newborn Bully

Postby Naplis Slim » Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:31 pm

can I see a pic? Do you have a before and after?

X-girl

Postby X-girl » Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:39 pm

It's a bit hard to see but this pic is good shot of her coat, especially considering she's indoors and there are no lights on in the room. I don't have a before pic that would show how her coat improved because it was never really that bad - looks wise. When we started adding the Missing Link and feeding Canidae, she got much softer and shinier and the nuances of her colaration really came out. Here's a fairly recent pic - she now eats Nature's Variety (the Canidae didn't agree with her for very long) and her coat improved even more with that switch:

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:24 am

I do Not believe it is only the nutrition. Genetics also plays a big part.
I also feel that a dog that is not happy or negatively stressed often has health as well as skin issues JMO on it

I use a good quality food and do supplement seameal and flax seed oil occasionally I'll throw them some fruit and veggies and meat as well but not all the time.

What helps one dog will not necessarily do well for another IMO.

LOL they were born shiny and only got better as they grew. hehhe.

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:29 am

Here is another one that shows a good coat

Bustersmama
Addicted to PBF

Postby Bustersmama » Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:37 am

Buster had a nice coat when he came to me, but since he has been on Canidae, Fish/fish oil, sometimes olive oil, egg etc his coat is not only shiney but SOFT , unbelievably soft.

JMO

Darlazmum
Forum Junky

Postby Darlazmum » Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:15 am

I think is is what you feed as well, I was petting the staffie from Darla's OB class and her fur was COARSE, Darla's is very soft to the touch, and I'm not way into feeding her things but I do give her tuna oil while opening a tune can, sometimes she gets albacore, eggs, salmon (real cheap from Costco in individuals packages. I just throw it in once in awhile, adn unlike a lot of people on the forum she does get regular showers, but mostly because she just plain loves em, and I believe her shampoo gives her a great coat. I noticed on Science Diet(Vet recommendation by the way) her coat was dry and flakey, pretty gross, since she's been off it her coat has been great, but I can't wait to see how she reacts to the TW!!

X-girl

Postby X-girl » Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:18 am

Patch O' Pits wrote:I do Not believe it is only the nutrition. Genetics also plays a big part.
I also feel that a dog that is not happy or negatively stressed often has health as well as skin issues JMO on it

But if the genetics aren't there it's not impossible to improve the situation. A dog that isn't naturally "waxed" isn't going to look better without improvements to diet and overall care. This is what I was referring to.

GreddysAngel
Addicted to PBF

Postby GreddysAngel » Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:58 am

Good food, and a good bath :))
MMMM Johnsons baby shampoo = nice smelling dogs :peace:

GreddysAngel
Addicted to PBF

Postby GreddysAngel » Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:03 pm

I'm a sucker for a good photo op

Shiny Angel

Sparkly Greddy

Cheshirekatt
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Cheshirekatt » Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:30 pm

Whoo-hooo! Look at Joxer's fur shine! I attribute his shiny fur to the fact that his coat is soooooo short. Almost like the show horses when they shave them. And of course a good diet and occational baths. :)

Bustersmama
Addicted to PBF

Postby Bustersmama » Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:55 pm

dem some shinnnneeey dogs!

Siren
Addicted to PBF

Postby Siren » Sun Aug 14, 2005 1:38 pm

For shine, something I do to myself and my dogs, but only in the summer time for them is after a good bath, I spray them all over with cold water. Hence why we only do it in the summer. What this does is close the pores quickly, which keeps the coat from dulling. But it's temporary. Last maybe a day. I learned about it in a magazine for people and tried it on myself. It was certainly refreshing, and my hair was shinier. It seems to work on dogs too and I used this trick at the grooming shop. But again, only during the summer, because no one wants to be cold and wet in the winter.

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:11 pm

X-girl wrote:
Patch O' Pits wrote:I do Not believe it is only the nutrition. Genetics also plays a big part.

But if the genetics aren't there it's not impossible to improve the situation. A dog that isn't naturally "waxed" isn't going to look better without improvements to diet and overall care. This is what I was referring to.

Absolutely, that is why listed what I give :) you didn't read the whole post
here is the rest that I wrote...
I use a good quality food and do supplement seameal and flax seed oil occasionally I'll throw them some fruit and veggies and meat as well but not all the time.

What helps one dog will not necessarily do well for another IMO.

Another factor is the environment. I find dogs that are kept outside more and especially in a lot of sun do not have as nice of coats as indoor dogs

Return to “Health Issues”