About fish...

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
millierocks

About fish...

Postby millierocks » Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:03 am

just out os pure curiosity, I know people mention salmon, and fish oils...So can you give canned tuna to a dog?
Also what kind of bone can Millie have? other then knuckle bones?
My mom has always been a peson that gives anything to her dog, but me, I want to be extra careful, Millie makes my world go around, so I do not under any circumstances want to give her something harmful...
I read post after post, and get bits and pieces, but truly I am a ditzy blonde, and need to still ask questions.
and I have been giving Millie a raw egg a day sometimes every second day...but can she have something like scrambled eggs?
I really really wanna know what bones are safe? won't splinter?

Naplis Slim
Newborn Bully

Postby Naplis Slim » Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:02 am

I was told by a few people to never give your dog cooked bones. They say that they splinter easy.

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:09 am

I give our dogs tuna as an occasional treat. More regularly, they are fed canned mackrel (as it is much cheaper). They love it.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:45 am

I give my dogs can mackral and can salmon, or sardines about 3 times per week, pass on the tuna becasue of the high mercury it has in it.
No cooked bones, as napils slim said, they splinter and can kill them.
I give egg about 3 times per week too, shell and all for extra calcium.
She would love some lightly cooked scrambled eggs I am sure.
I also feed chiicken and turkey necks, backs, knuckle bones, shank bones with a lot of meat on them, liver, gizzards, hearts. it is all good.
I do not feed the bones at the same time they eat kibble.
If you look thru health you might want to read about raw or barf diet to get a lot more suggestiosn.
I also add a Tablesppon or so of plain ygurt daily, fish oil, some days cottage cheese, kelp, all get added to the kibble.

Darlazmum
Forum Junky

Postby Darlazmum » Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:09 pm

You can feed ALBOACORE in a can not tuna and yes of course , it's more expensive! :)) But I also feed her the salmon steaks from Costco, it's about $12.00 bucks and I only feed once a week ....it's not that bad, plus my hubby likes em lol

heather
Addicted to PBF

Postby heather » Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:26 pm

I use the Galileo nylabones--they are very strong, clean thier teeth and my dogs have never bitten anything but a rice sized piece off at once (which the package says is harmless).

Once a week I give them a smoked knuckle bone to share-they are much safer than rawhide--which Jade has nearly choked on before so I stopped giving them.

Once when I gave tuna to Jade she got really bad diarrhea--I called my vet and she said that many dogs can't take the richness of tuna. As far as fish meal in food supposedly it is ALL treated with a preservative called ethoxyquin.
http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/dogfoods.html

I find that the nylabones worry me the least--they have flavor, but some dogs don't like them. If you try them make sure to get the ones for extra strong chewers.

jaygirl
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby jaygirl » Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:48 pm

I heard that you can give your dogs raw soup bones as the raw ones will not splinter, but the may make a mess in your house if they have marrow inside of them. :yucky:

I buy durable nylabones for my dogs. They like chewing on them and will not start a fight over them like the rawhide bones too. I usually buy them at Walmart or Target.

My dogs (especially my pit bull) loves raw carrot sticks. They are nice and crunchy and tasty to her.

Return to “Health Issues”