To clip, or not to clip... that is my question

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
froggybaby

To clip, or not to clip... that is my question

Postby froggybaby » Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:45 am

we're considering clipping Yasodhara's ears. she a bit over 3 months old.
http://www.dogster.com/?172275
i'm all for it, i think it'll suit her head and face better than the full ear; for the same reason but opposite outcome, Buddha's ears being cut was never a consideration. but my fiancé is hesitant... mostly for the initial pain and the weeks of uber-care, especially since Dhara and Buddha are hyper-active playmates. we know it means complete separation for the duration of healing although house space isn't an issue. any advise, comments, suggestions or just your preferences would be greatly appreciated in our decision making.

Thanks
Gregory, Andra, Buddha & Yasodhara

Rose_Red

Postby Rose_Red » Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:55 am

I don't know much about ear size for a pit, but I think she may grow into them nicely. My friend's pup had ears sort of like that and he's 6 months old now and grew into them nicely. Besides, 3 months old is a little late to be cropping ears. I believe they're supposed to be done by 8 weeks. Again, someone else here might know more.

wax

Postby wax » Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:12 am

I dont like cropped ears at all. Some ear crops the dog look butchered up IMO, but some i can tolerate.
Last edited by wax on Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:14 am

do you think if your dog could decide she would want to go thru this?
I vote NO.

Darlazmum
Forum Junky

Postby Darlazmum » Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:14 am

I concur. Their ears are lovely.

Rose_Red

Postby Rose_Red » Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:20 am

I may be wrong, but I think your dog's ears left natural will look like the dog's in your avator. :inlove:

Igraine

Postby Igraine » Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:32 am

I just like natural ears best, so I vote "keep 'em the way God made 'em." They're so darn cute. Nothing against those who do choose to crop, though ~ just a personal preference. I like petting them when they're natural - so soft and velvety :peace:

Pinkpitbull
Adolescent Bully

Postby Pinkpitbull » Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:35 am

No, don't crop the ears..it is just a mean thing to do.

LazyDaisy
Forum Junky

Postby LazyDaisy » Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:46 am

I say leave em too. Both my dogs ears are cropped, and while they didn't exhibit any pain, nor was it done out of meaness, its highly unnecessary. We paid lots of $, and having it done to Daisy made her, IMO, head look more, say, regal. She has a beautiful head in my opinion and having the ears done brought that out. However, I see so many beautiful dogs here with natural ears, that I doubt I'd do it again with any dogs.

With us, the vet made us wait till 4 months for them to have all their shots, tho I believe it is very normal for them to have them done far earlier.

froggybaby

Postby froggybaby » Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:11 am

LazyDaisy wrote:I say leave em too. Both my dogs ears are cropped, and while they didn't exhibit any pain, nor was it done out of meaness, its highly unnecessary. We paid lots of $, and having it done to Daisy made her, IMO, head look more, say, regal. She has a beautiful head in my opinion and having the ears done brought that out. However, I see so many beautiful dogs here with natural ears, that I doubt I'd do it again with any dogs.

With us, the vet made us wait till 4 months for them to have all their shots, tho I believe it is very normal for them to have them done far earlier.

OMG! imagine i was looking at Daisy and Roscoe pics earlier this morning and thinking "now that's how cropped ears should look" and their parents are saying leave 'em be. if that's not a sign.... :roll:
so, 7 outta 7 say nay! sounds like an overwhelming preference. i imagine i'd be castigated by the forum regulars if we somehow decided to go ahead with it, aye? :stick:
so out of curiosity, doesn't anyone want to put up a strong argument pro-clipping?

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:15 am

Nope, not me. I think your pups ears are cute. I like ears, they are expressive.

Pinkpitbull
Adolescent Bully

Postby Pinkpitbull » Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:19 am

Strong arguement pro-clipping? I read the bio on dogster, if that pup had a rough start like I understand what I've read, why put the pup through all that? Spend the money on something the PUPPY would like.

Rose_Red

Postby Rose_Red » Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:37 am

I mean, it's your choice.. but I wouldn't do it unless the ears are gigantic or incorrect. Your pup's ears look good, I think they'll better with time.

lovemylucy
Super Bully

Postby lovemylucy » Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:49 am

i think it is cruel and unnecessary, but that is just my opinion and i love their ears .....they add so much character.

Dobelover

Postby Dobelover » Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:08 am

IMO, it should be your own choice. As long as it's done by a vet and not some moron who decides to do it in his garage, I don't see an issue...I know, I know, I am kind of biased with my cropped dobies....

Return to “Health Issues”