To clip, or not to clip... that is my question

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Scooch&Beau
Super Bully

Postby Scooch&Beau » Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:14 am

I don't really have strong opinions either way, I think it depends on the dog. In your case, I vote NO! I think her ears are perfect just the way they are. :))

MangyLu
www.michigananimalrescueleague.org

Postby MangyLu » Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:33 am

I vote NO :thumbsup:

VIP Prez

Postby VIP Prez » Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:37 am

Its your choice. Its not like they crop ears while the pup is awake and walking around. Cropped ears looks very nice when done right. Take your time finding the style and vet
Last edited by VIP Prez on Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

rednoseErnie
Forum Junky

Postby rednoseErnie » Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:38 am

I vote no, too. I love natural ears- so expressive! Why put a dog through pain for ne reason?

Cheshirekatt
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Cheshirekatt » Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:44 am

Personally, I like soft floppy ears. I think to the general public, cropped ears make the dog look mean (NOT my opinion but most non pit bull people).

That said, I've seen some beautiful dogs with cropped ears. It's a personal choice.

Rommel
Adolescent Bully

Postby Rommel » Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:49 am

If you're showing your dog then i prefer cropped ears, other than that there isnt any other reason to do it except personal preference.

LazyDaisy
Forum Junky

Postby LazyDaisy » Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:11 pm

the forum regulars if we somehow decided to go ahead with it, aye? :
so out of curiosity, doesn't anyone want to put up a strong argument pro-clipping?

I don't think their can be a strong argument. I do like the look, but I like the floppy look too. For the most part pit bulls take ear cropping very well. They have a high threashold for pain, and if done correctly and by an experienced vet, this is a far less painful/invasive procedure than fixing. But fixing your dog has massive health/behavior benefits so... when you break it down you are putting your dog through surgery for looks. We show our dogs, so the crop was preferred but I wanted it long. I do think the trend is leaning toward leaving them natural, so why go through it?

I think to the general public, cropped ears make the dog look mean (NOT my opinion but most non pit bull people).

This is exactly why I wanted a longer crop too, but people still immediately go "thats a pit bull!". :dunno: What are ya gonna do?

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:12 pm

Its all up to you, but I think your pup has nice natural ears. They don't look bad as they are right now, and if you don't plan on showing, then you wont have to worry even if they change a bit. I am not anti-crop either. Its just my preference to leave the ears alone unless they are really horrendous.

Corliss797

Postby Corliss797 » Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:10 pm

The ears are the cutest, most kissable part, i say keep em!

jesseandalecia
Super Bully

Postby jesseandalecia » Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:49 pm

Wow, I didn't think everyone was as anti-cropping as me! I agree natural ears are the best, check out the official thread though to find some more in depth discussion on the topic: http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=4892

froggybaby

Postby froggybaby » Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:06 pm

well i can safely say the vote is in:
the nay's have it - Yasodhara keeps all of her ears!
i gotta say thanks to everyone for your opinons, ideas, and comments, especially those of you who have clipped ears.... well not you, but your bullies :roll:
jesseandalecia wrote:check out the official thread though to find some more in depth discussion on the topic: http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=4892

woah.
"in depth" is the greatest euphamism i've heard today lol
.... that "OFFICIAL" crop/dock thread can take over from here.
:peace:

dogfarts

Postby dogfarts » Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:48 pm

Another vote here for leaving them natural. :thumbsup:

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:50 pm

Good for you! :headbang: I wonder if there will come a day when ear cropping and tail docking are illegal?

jesseandalecia
Super Bully

Postby jesseandalecia » Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:52 pm

Deniselynn wrote:Good for you! :headbang: I wonder if there will come a day when ear cropping and tail docking are illegal?

Actually, England has a country-wide ban on ear cropping. Not even for dobes, great danes, or anything else!

Darlazmum
Forum Junky

Postby Darlazmum » Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:17 pm

froggybaby wrote:well i can safely say the vote is in:
the nay's have it - Yasodhara keeps all of her ears!
i gotta say thanks to everyone for your opinons, ideas, and comments, especially those of you who have clipped ears.... well not you, but your bullies :roll:
jesseandalecia wrote:check out the official thread though to find some more in depth discussion on the topic: http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=4892

woah.
"in depth" is the greatest euphamism i've heard today lol
.... that "OFFICIAL" crop/dock thread can take over from here.
:peace:

Wow, I think you were leaning anyway though! lol I doubt we had any influence.

I've said before my hubby likes em cropped but couldn't do it himself (I mean on a new dog..putting them through it) But we have contemplated WAAAAAAAAAAAAY down the line in getting a male rescue who's cropped for my hubby, and for the pup to have a new forever home.

Return to “Health Issues”