Need Help with my 3.5 week old pups.

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
sumik

Need Help with my 3.5 week old pups.

Postby sumik » Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:15 pm

First off I don't know in which forum should this be posted, so don't be mad at me if I posted it in the wrong place, I'm new to the forum.
Second on questions I'm about to ask I did search and through looking at 15 page resoults I couldn't find an answer or similar post.

Anyway yeah, I have 10 3.5 week old puppies. My dog (Kaya) is 4 yrs old and I just wanted for her to have puppies at least once in lifetime and I'm from Ontario so u know that in less than 90 days no more puppies will be awailable.
She's been feeding them for the last 3 weeks and few days ago I give them Esiblac Milk Replacer For Puppies just so they easy up on the mother.
Anyway as those r my first puppies I;m totally lost at to what feed them. Don't know when I should add more food then just milk. When to start giving them kibble, maybe canned food or something else. Also in what time what should I change to like as they get older what are the changes and at what age. I did a lot of resarch on this forum but 15+ pages and I couldn't find anything.
Pls I need help

sumik

Postby sumik » Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:18 pm

oh and also pics of my dogs, more will be added once I get my digital camera back
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2121050270

Motodiva
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Motodiva » Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:25 pm

It's likely you didn't find many results because very few few people here breed their dogs. With the state of pitbulls today, there is not much room for puppies from unproven, untitled, unhealth tested dogs. Therefore, there is not much young puppy talk unless its with one of the few reputable breeders or a rescue.

I understand you wanted puppies from YOUR dog, but think of the ten lives you could have saved. Very soon pits will not be adoptable at all where you live, now 10 more will die.

Sorry, I'm not here to lecture you and what is done is done. I hope you will be able to share the stress so that others in your position 3 months ago will be able to decide to spay their dogs instead of breeding them. I have no advice on what to feed them, hopefully some experienced rescues will be able to help you.

Good luck,

Sanya

Sariss
Bully Ambassador

Postby Sariss » Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:25 pm

:( I'm sorry, but right now in Ontario, no one seems to want Pits. And you just ruined the chance of 10 shelter dogs in ever finding a home.

You probably should have thought about things like what to feed them before you decided to breed her.

Marilyn

Postby Marilyn » Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:27 pm

You beat me! I just started a post because I am fostering 8 4 week old puppies. I hope we both get some help!

Ursa Arctos
Forum Junky

Postby Ursa Arctos » Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:37 pm

Okay, I'm not going to flame you, because i'm sure someone else will do it soon enough.

Why arn't the puppies nursing naturally? As with all creatures, mothers milk is best. I could see supplementing with this other stuff, but the pups should be primarily nursing.

Well, I suppose I have to flame you a little.

1) do you have homes lined up for these puppies? If you take them to the shelter, they will probably get killed.

2) people are very scared of pits where you live right now, so you probably wont be able to place all of them into RESPONSIBLE homes.

I doubt your dog has any papers or any health tests so its pointless to breed her. As far as you know, all the pups may grow to have health problems.

Anyway, If you want to fix the error of your ways, start looking for good homes NOW, or, even better, find a way to get them the hell out of Ontario. You should spueter all the animals before you place them, as well as have them up to date with shots. It will be expensive, but I guess one has to consider the costs of taking care of a bunch of babies before jumping into it.

You should also create a contract with any prospective buyer/adopter that quizes them on BSL and how strict the laws are and what steps need to ba taken to make sure that their new puppy is not seized.

I'm sorry, but breeding your dog was a very ignorant thing to do, especially where you are located.

sumik

Postby sumik » Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:46 pm

I understand u all and thanxs for concerns about dogs.

5 puppies already have homes set up for them 3 of those will go to my familly members, ppl that had dogs and pitbulls before, so I'm sure on that.
The other 5 I'm looking for a home for them right now, I have 3 ppl interested on the word of mouth and few ppl from Internet, but I need to check those ppl before I give them my puppies so they know what they'r doing and they won't use them for fights.

Also my dog Is registered she's 4yrs, she has all the health book shots etc.

And I did not put them on milk replacement I only feed them once or twice a day so they won't eat constantly for mother all day long, she has 10 pups to feed.

All I need is some info, when I should introduce kibble, canned fodd, any other food that is good for them. Cuz I know that dam's milk is not enough for their growth. Just a question When and What.

Don't worry I thought about puppies before I even introduced her to the male.

Tori

Postby Tori » Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:30 pm

Puppy breath , I love puppies and would love to see them.I've never bred and can't answer your question , I just wanted to say pictures please.Take your time finding good homes for the babies.

True_Pits
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby True_Pits » Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:44 pm

Wow they are all very cute. Supplementing feed isn't bad if the mom is overwhelmed with a lot of puppies, but weaning early can cause problems for pups and mothers. They need her nutritiant and immunity. Weaning early can cause pain, engorged breast and even mastitis for the mother.

That is good that you are looking for good homes, please take your time and be very careful when placing them. Get everything ready now if you don't already.

I also don't agree with breeding dogs when there is BSL inact. And research should be done BEFORE breeding not after when the pups are almost a month old, thats a little backwards.

GreddysAngel
Addicted to PBF

Postby GreddysAngel » Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:59 pm

Im sorry, Im in Ontario and all I have to say it :wallbang:
I hope there arent more people thinking like you (just one litter :roll: )

:crybaby:
I HATE that Ive been working for 3 months to get 2 dogs out of the LHS and now you just brought 10 more (unnecessary) puppies into the world!!!

HugABull1
www.HugABull.com

Postby HugABull1 » Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:07 am

Wow - I have no words, and I'm not even in Ontario (just clear accross the country).

Huge kudos to Motodiva for your well-thought-out and articulate response.

Sumik - I can't answer your question, I'm not a breeder. I can urge you to, in an effort to make some sort of reconciliation for your tremendous error in judgement, please ensure that all pups are spayed/neutered before they go to their new homes (yes, vets can do this from 7 weeks onwards), and in good faith, either become directly involved in rescue, or make a donation to a local shelter or rescue.

Additionally, you should begin introducing the pups to muzzling as soon as they're around 8 weeks old (always positive, and always for VERY SHORT sessions), as they have a lifetime of muzzling to look forward too...

Also - I hope that your dog is under the care of a veterinarian. Bitches can develop a host of problems during a pregnancy, and after whelping, including eclampsia, which can be fatal (we just lost a rescue dog to a condition related to this).

Marilyn

Postby Marilyn » Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:13 am

Also - I hope that your dog is under the care of a veterinarian. Bitches can develop a host of problems during a pregnancy, and after whelping, including eclampsia, which can be fatal (we just lost a rescue dog to a condition related to this).

The mother dog of the puppies I'm fostering is fighting for her life because of mastitis. We don't know if she will recover, but we are hoping for the best!

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:27 am

Here are a few info on weaning puppies: http://www.barkbytes.com/care/weaning.htm
http://www.petcaretips.net/weaning_puppies.html
http://www.debbiejensen.com/weaning.html

Someone else can help you more on this, I haven't dealt with a litter of puppies since...well never now that I think of it! I know better.
Please, start putting away money to spay and neuter the pups, before they are placed.Call rescues, vets, anybody who can help you with this.Perhaps with a discount but keep in mind that it is totally your responsability to do so.
Your choice to throw out there more pit bulls, in a place where they aren't wanted.Do you realize this? Puppies are born already, you must take responsability for it.No if and buts, do it.
The homes for your puppies could be taking one of those pit bulls who will be killed or sold at lab facilities shortly.
I truly don't know why on earth you had your dog bred but time for some responsability now.

Cheshirekatt
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Cheshirekatt » Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:04 am

*sigh*

I hope beyond all hope that all works out.

nags
Adolescent Bully

Postby nags » Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:28 am

HugABull1 wrote:Wow - I have no words, and I'm not even in Ontario (just clear accross the country).

Huge kudos to Motodiva for your well-thought-out and articulate response.

Sumik - I can't answer your question, I'm not a breeder. I can urge you to, in an effort to make some sort of reconciliation for your tremendous error in judgement, please ensure that all pups are spayed/neutered before they go to their new homes (yes, vets can do this from 7 weeks onwards), and in good faith, either become directly involved in rescue, or make a donation to a local shelter or rescue.

Additionally, you should begin introducing the pups to muzzling as soon as they're around 8 weeks old (always positive, and always for VERY SHORT sessions), as they have a lifetime of muzzling to look forward too...

they can spay/neuter that young? I thought you had to wait till 6 months

Return to “Health Issues”