Need Help with my 3.5 week old pups.

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
User avatar
Allie
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 10814
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:09 am
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Contact:

Postby Allie » Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:07 pm

Excuse me--- The last I heard Bullies in Need had like 40 something homeless pits. Pups too.

This is too disgusting.

There's 10 more shelter pits killed.
:po: :po: :po:

Besides... why would you want to bring a dog into Ontario right now knowing it will live it's life muzzled and outcast?!

sumik

Postby sumik » Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:44 pm

Allie wrote:Excuse me--- The last I heard Bullies in Need had like 40 something homeless pits. Pups too.

This is too disgusting.

There's 10 more shelter pits killed.
:po: :po: :po:

Besides... why would you want to bring a dog into Ontario right now knowing it will live it's life muzzled and outcast?!


If u'd rea my post and dothe mah u'd see that she got pregnant in JUNE !!!!
And the law passed August 29, it wasn't that bad in June.

PPL here say why would I want to hgave the puppies with the law passed ???
Well think and read this actually:
She got pregnant in JUNE
5 pupies were called for before she got pregnant
At that time there wasn't many pitbulls in the places where u can addopt them
I got 10 of them and for the other 5 I'm looking for the homes right now, 2 ppl r coming to pick 2 of them.

So don't flame me that much, cuz u only look at what's happening right now and not at what were the circumstancess that the dogs were impregnated and why were they called for.
Also I'm trying to do everything I can so they can b healthy, have good homes, and r raised and trained good.

So stop flaming if u don't have anything helpfull to say, cuz u just repeat the person that posted before u. And if u care about those dogs enough try helping me out instead of constant flaming.
Geez that's supposed to be a helping forum.

User avatar
Sariss
Bully Ambassador
Posts: 2816
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:53 pm
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Contact:

Postby Sariss » Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:56 pm

Not to argue about this any further, but back in June shelters were more packed with Pitbulls than they are now, because a lot of people were dropping them off because they didn't want to deal with having to muzzle them, and two months ago not nearly as many shelters automatically destroyed Pits.

User avatar
Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 7459
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:59 pm
Location: Shingle Springs, CA
Contact:

Postby Kingsgurl » Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:59 pm

Good luck, Sumik. Thank you for trying to do the responsible thing now. Your situation does illustrate a couple good points. Dogs sometimes have very LARGE litters, they rarely, if ever, have 'just enough' for everyone who originally wanted one. Especially if you factor in the 'back out factor' (you know, the ones who talked you into breeding in the first place because they just HAD to have one, then don't have enough time for a puppy?)
Also, that BSL is SERIOUS, and many, many, many dogs lives are at stake here, or already lost. Out of curiousity, what did you do to fight the passage of this law in your area? With a litter of restricted dogs on the way, I hope it was a lot.

millierocks

Postby millierocks » Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:06 pm

Ok I hate getting in on the argument BUT she got pregnant in June, this BSL crap has been known about since at least October 2004, at that time they were saying all the bullchit crap that is NOW IN effect...So not being a b!tch cause that ain't me, BUT you should have known in JUNE that come AUGUST 29th this was like it or not, no getting around it, definantly, going to be here *BSL*
It is not something that just POPPED up all of a sudden, after your dog got pregnant in JUNE. So please don't use that excuse.
I know your in a bind, you need our help, you made a mistake (whether you see it as a mistake or not) but don't make excuses too...
Whats done is done, the pups are here, and I'm sure you will try your hardest to find good responsible homes for them...but acting like you didn't know the reality of the situation is wrong as far as I am concerned.

User avatar
Scooch&Beau
Super Bully
Posts: 666
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2005 12:40 pm
Location: Missouri
Contact:

Postby Scooch&Beau » Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:19 pm

nags wrote:
Cheshirekatt wrote:It's usually only rescues that do it that early because they HAVE to be speutered before going into their new home.

If he's your very own pet, then waiting until he's six months is reasonable. :) I'd kill myself if I had to have these little terrors here until they were six months old! LOL


oh, well ok then....... let the wait continue :thumbsup:


:offtopic:

I don't know if I necessarily agree with that. My parents got their dog at 7ish weeks, and had him neutered at 8 weeks. IMO, the sooner the better. As long as he's "dropped" I would do it now!

User avatar
Red
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 9519
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2004 4:35 am
Location: SoCal

Postby Red » Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:59 am

And if u care about those dogs enough try helping me out instead of constant flaming.
Geez that's supposed to be a helping forum.


I gave you 3 links with info on weaning puppies, did you even notice?
Read them, there are good info there, it should help those puppies a bit.That is a little help.
Please do not pull the "if you care enough, you help me" crap because you chose to breed you dog reguardless the situation the breed is in.You are the one who have to take responsability for your actions, not us.You will get much more help when you admit you did not care about anything but yourself when you bred your dog, rather than asking for folks not to repeat the same comments.If you did not realize how badly things were going up there, it means that you did not care to find out and that only shows very little interest for the future of those pups.
Now, read those links and see if something is not clear and we will go from there.It helps to keep a chart on the puppies, with weights, food intake and so on.Ok?

A quick question...the 5 homes lined up...are they willing to deal with BSL now or they backed up?BSL is hard on those who are committed to their dogs so these 5 homes must be not just good, but excellent.
The pups, are you going to make sure they are spayed and neutered before you place them?I don't think you ever answered to that.It would really make no sense to help those pups if you are going to let them go to folks who might breed them and then the offsprings end up in pounds.
It all goes in circle and dogs die.Just think about how many puppies your own puppies can parent.Although breeding is now not allowed in Ontario, I can guaranteed you that many litters will be born and then killed.Do the math and that should scare you enough, if you care.

User avatar
Allie
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 10814
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:09 am
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Contact:

Postby Allie » Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:16 am

sumik wrote:If u'd rea my post and dothe mah u'd see that she got pregnant in JUNE !!!!
And the law passed August 29, it wasn't that bad in June.


So she got pregnant in June and you didn't know about the law at that time??? Give me a break.

We adopted Sidney in APRIL from Ontario to get her out. I know for a fact it was bad back then too. We drove to Milton to pick her up in APRIL. At that time, there was a litter of about ten, another young pup, and a beautiful mature male in the SAME TRANSPORT. Not to mention all of the other dogs that were trying to get out at that time.

I know this is a forum to help people, and what's done is done. I just hope there aren't millions more out there having litters now. There are too many pits dying.

And it doesn't seem you're getting the point about having the pups- even if they have 5 good homes lined up--- those are five good homes that homeless animals could have gone into.... but now they'll probably die without a home.

Ursa Arctos
Forum Junky
Posts: 3955
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:56 am
Contact:

Postby Ursa Arctos » Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:52 pm

sumik wrote:
Allie wrote:Excuse me--- The last I heard Bullies in Need had like 40 something homeless pits. Pups too.

This is too disgusting.

There's 10 more shelter pits killed.
:po: :po: :po:

Besides... why would you want to bring a dog into Ontario right now knowing it will live it's life muzzled and outcast?!


If u'd rea my post and dothe mah u'd see that she got pregnant in JUNE !!!!
And the law passed August 29, it wasn't that bad in June.

PPL here say why would I want to hgave the puppies with the law passed ???
Well think and read this actually:
She got pregnant in JUNE
5 pupies were called for before she got pregnant
At that time there wasn't many pitbulls in the places where u can addopt them
I got 10 of them and for the other 5 I'm looking for the homes right now, 2 ppl r coming to pick 2 of them.

So don't flame me that much, cuz u only look at what's happening right now and not at what were the circumstancess that the dogs were impregnated and why were they called for.
Also I'm trying to do everything I can so they can b healthy, have good homes, and r raised and trained good.

So stop flaming if u don't have anything helpfull to say, cuz u just repeat the person that posted before u. And if u care about those dogs enough try helping me out instead of constant flaming.
Geez that's supposed to be a helping forum.



You can't claim ignorance! BSL has been in the process for LOTS of time, and everyone knew it was going to go through far before June! We care about the dogs- we are sick of seeing thousands of them die every day because people overbreed an UNwanted breed! ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU LIVE WHERE THEY ARE BANNED!!! geeze, give me a break.

I'm serious, if you want to be a real, reasponsible person, you should spueter the puppies, and make sure they have all their shots before you adopt them out. Making them sign something that says, Yeah, Ill spay them, sure, does NOTHING, as it is easy to woops, she got pregnant, and here comes 10 more. Get them fixed asap at your cost. Perhaps you could sell them at the price you paid for getting the procedure done.

Its also kind of troubling that you say this all happened in JUNE, but the Law didnt come in affect until AUGUST. It makes me wonder about your BSL knowledge. If you don't even know that much about whats going on then how can we expect the people you give your puppies away to? Perhaps you can give out BSL pamphlets of information with key elements highlighted for the new owners, as these people are probably going to have a hell of a hard time with insurance, dirty looks, and keeping the dogs in general.

Thank God I don't live in Ontario (though CA might be next...)

User avatar
Pit Chick
Forum Junky
Posts: 3630
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:46 pm
Location: Houston, Tx

Postby Pit Chick » Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:19 am

sumik wrote:But what I did was before the law passed. the pups were even born before August 29
The 5 of the dogs were called for by my familly and friends even before the bitch got pregnant.
I know that I should tell ppl too look for dogs for somewhere else, but they wanted puppies off of my dog.


Basically:

"I just wanted to breed her one time before the law passed and I had to have her spayed."

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you breaking the law by having an intact Pit Bull and 10 intact puppies?

User avatar
bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 10059
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2003 3:56 am
Location: west TX
Contact:

Postby bahamutt99 » Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:25 pm

sumik wrote:Geez that's supposed to be a helping forum.


I realize this is an old post, but I just had to reply to this part. This is an EDUCATIONAL forum first and foremost. Part of education is realizing your own mistakes and making sure you don't repeat them.

Lux

Postby Lux » Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:10 pm

sumik, I hope you take the time to check out this link..

http://www.felinerescue.net/speuter/resources.htm

it leads you to information about low cost spay and neuter programs in the US and Canada. Some of them are more geared towards cats, but the one in Eugene services both cats and dogs. If the programs in Ontario won't accept dogs perhaps you could make a drive down to Minnesota?
At my clinic males are $65, females are $70. They also provide shots for around $14-17

User avatar
Rumpley
Bully Ambassador
Posts: 2193
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2003 8:18 pm
Location: Save the drama for your mama! BC

Postby Rumpley » Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:04 pm

Hum, I was thinking "what could I add" here that hasn't been said already ...okay here goes:

Sumik - "you thought about placing the pups before you introduced her to the male"?? Did you think about researching what it takes to whelp out a litter too? Obviously not.

To me, that's part and parcel. It's not just "heh, let's get her pregnant" and geez, now there's puppies and I don't have a clue what to do :roll: ..... I'm glad someone provided you with whelping links. Good quality puppy food, goat's milk and baby food are not cheap for 10 pups. Hope you have lots of dough right now to put towards this litter you produced.

I also will assume, since you have got a lot of good advice here, that you will be paying for the dewormings, that need to start at 6 weeks, repeated at 8 weeks and so on until the pups are placed?

That includes the preliminary vaccinations for all 10 pups as well at 8 weeks?

That you will be paying for the pediatric spay and neuters of these pups at 8 weeks before they go out into the world and potentially create more pups slated for euthanasia down the road? If you get cheap rates, that's about $60 - $80 per pup, regular rates are $150 and up a pup times 10 (let me do the math) that's $1500 for that alone. Still reading...okay let's keep going....

Those are just the costs off the top of my head that are involved with RESPONSIBLY raising a litter. Let alone that the bitch will need regular check ups through out this to rule out risk of mastitis etc. All good breeders know that puppies, when done responsibly, are not a money making endeavour obviously.

If you claim to be as responsible as you are, then I hope that you answer "yes" to all of those abovementioned questions. But we all know the chances of that happening are slim at best...

Then on top of all that when you're done, you can march down to your local vet clinic and ask them to humanely euth the 4 - 5 pups you'll have left over that are getting older by the second, that no one wants in Ontario because of the breed ban, instead of subjecting a shelter employee who will have to do it for you in the end because you couldn't step up to the plate. 8(

Or you could sell them to closet fighters, which is an even worse fate, IMO. Good luck finding homes for pups in Ontario - ya everyone wants them when they're 8 weeks, but in 6 months, half of them most likely will be in the shelter system which is pretty much an automatic death sentence.

I have no respect for people who create pups in this world, then have the audacity to ask for help, and leave the rest of us to clean up the mess.

User avatar
Rumpley
Bully Ambassador
Posts: 2193
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2003 8:18 pm
Location: Save the drama for your mama! BC

Postby Rumpley » Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:06 pm

Oh, I forgot one thing.

The GREAT thing about this thread is that we can send it to all those posters who come on here and say "I'm thinking about letting my dogs have pups" beforehand.

That way at least some good has come out of this bad....

User avatar
pblove
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 15599
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:28 pm
Location: east coast

Postby pblove » Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:43 pm

Rumpley wrote:
I have no respect for people who create pups in this world, then have the audacity to ask for help, and leave the rest of us to clean up the mess.


I hear you on that rumpley!
and I am getting quite tired of people on here defending the newbies that just bought a byb puppy, or have an oops litter because,"they didn't know any better"!!!
Why can they take the time to do research and find the board after they got their byb dog, but don't have enough sense to do research before they breed or buy a byb dog???
This is not something to take lightly, with such a powerful breed of dog, why wouldn't anyone do tons of research before they blindly buy or breed a pit bull????!!!
This just shows you why this breed is in such dire straits, because of irresponsible people in one form or antoher, but who has to suffer because of people's ignorance, the dogs as always!!! :po:


Return to “Health Issues”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 23 guests