What do you feed your dog?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Cooper5

What do you feed your dog?

Postby Cooper5 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:34 pm

I am wondering what people are feeding there dogs, wether it be dog food from a store, home made dog food, table scraps, etc. Our APBT puppy Chopper will be 18 weeks old on Friday. We feed him Purina Puppy Chow, but lateley he has not shown interest in it. We feed him a cup in the morning and a cup at night, and he used to gobble it up, but lately he has just been nibbling, and going back and forth. I was wondering if he was just tired of the same old taste day after day. I cooked him up some chop meat, added some fresh garlic, and a little onion powder... that is all, and added 1/2 cup of the puppy chow, and he ate every bit of it. I know everyone has there own preference of dog food. I used to have a Golden Retriever, and strictly fed her Pedigree. She never had a problem eating. I know some people just feed there dog all natural, some people strictly dog food, some people mix it up a little. I have heard that making your own dog food, out of peas, beef fat/meat, corn, rice, and other vegetables, just boiled in a pot is great for dogs, and is all natural. I tried that and he didn't eat it all. Tonights meal was a winner. Anyway... just wondering what everyone else fed there beloved pups, and any food brand, or home made recipes or suggestions anyone would like to offer.
Thanks.
Ron

Huitchi
Adolescent Bully

Postby Huitchi » Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:53 pm

I usually put some treats (1-3) in Huitzi's kible to make it more interesting. Once she starts eating good luck stopping her. It might be easier than cooking for him/her.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martin
www.NoBadPit.com

Marilyn

Postby Marilyn » Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:29 pm

try searching the health section, there are many threads about food.

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:37 pm

I feed Nature's Variety, both the kibble and the raw. Personally, I would never feed a dog any food you can aquire from a grocery store. That stuff usually isn't worth the paper its packaged in. Better foods are available at the pet superstores - Eukanuba, Science Diet, Nutro, Royal Canin, etc. The best (and most expensive) foods you have to get from a feed store - NV, Solid Gold, Canidae, Innova, etc.

Your dog may just be telling you he's not hungry, or he may not be feeling well. Most Pit Bull puppies eat with gusto. (BTW, I would avoid the onion powder, were I you. Onions can be harmful to your dog.) If you want to increase his interest in the food, try adding a bit of water to bring out the flavor, or maybe a bit of olive oil (its good for the coat, too).

Sean W.
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Sean W. » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:48 am

The best food you can get from the superstores is gonna be Blue Buffalo. It has a blue diamond for labeling. Sold in Petsmart. Don't know about Petsco. Everything else is garbage pretty much. Since I learned how to read labels and know what's in dog food I can't believe how unbelievably crappy most all dog food is. All of the proper kibble dog food you have to special order or go to "mom and pops" stores to get it. Well worth it though. see the top 5 food post sticky. i'll post links about some of the more informative threads on feeding in a minute

Sean W.
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Sean W. » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:58 am

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:52 am

This should shed some light on feeding puppy chow, purina etc:

http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=23638

Kano
Newborn Bully

Postby Kano » Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:43 pm

They say feeding raw meat is best. So I have been feeding my dogs cats! I go around at night looking for cats that I can feed my dogs. :thumbsup:

Pinkpitbull
Adolescent Bully

Postby Pinkpitbull » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:04 pm

Raw is best..whole prey model...IMO. I tried to switch over the last week and I wasn't able to get out and pick up more meat, so I gave a pan of kibble and they turned their noses up at it...so out I went.

barbponys
Health Guru

Postby barbponys » Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:27 am

Dinner tonight 1 5+ pound chicken:

Garion: chicken leg quarter, 2 wings, teaspoon kelp, teaspoon salmon oil.

Sasha: chicken leg quarter, chunk of breast, teaspoon kelp, teaspoon salmon oil.

Goliath: Chicken neck, chunk of breast, 1/2 teaspoon kelp, 1/2 teaspoon salmon oil.

Fancy: the rest of the breast, back, teaspoon kelp, teaspoon salmon oil.

Hoyden
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby Hoyden » Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:09 am

We had some allergy issues with my two pittie.

So after spending a month researching dog food, I am feeding my 18 mo old female Timberwolf Lamb, Apples & Barley. She loves it, her skin problems cleared up and allergic reactions stopped. She chewed the lid off her food bin when my husband forgot to crate her.

Grey

Postby Grey » Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:09 pm

We feed raw.

chicken, turkey, the occasional beef (if on sale)
About 2-3 x a week, canned mackarel or salmon(drained and rinsed)
raw egg and yogurt,
or for Cookie, sometimes raw egg and oatmeal. She seems to do better with a little grain in the diet.

I add vitamin E, fish oil, salmon oil to their meals - depends on what it is.

Meaghan Edwards
Addicted to PBF

Postby Meaghan Edwards » Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:50 pm

I feed mine Holistic Blend and it does wonders for them.

http://www.holisticblend.com

mattonitto
Newborn Bully

Postby mattonitto » Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:40 pm

I guess I'm borng. Right now we are feeding Timber Wolf with egg and salmon oil.

bullboxer

Postby bullboxer » Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:59 pm

Kano wrote:They say feeding raw meat is best. So I have been feeding my dogs cats! I go around at night looking for cats that I can feed my dogs. :thumbsup:

Your feeding you dog cats?

Return to “Health Issues”