Can I do this? (food q)

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
gooeydog

Can I do this? (food q)

Postby gooeydog » Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:54 am

I'm still in the market for a meat grinder (have to get a better paying job first, as I'm poor at the moment), so I can make the dogs' food, but in the meantime, think I've found a way to switch them from kibble while keeping my nerves intact. They're currently getting soaked kibble with canned food mixed in, occasionally with some fresh, lightly cooked (small-ly cubed and poached) meat in place of some of the kibble. The canned food is Neura 95% meats (made by the people who make wellness), and I've recently upped the amount of that from 1/2 can to 1 can, decreasing their kibble amount. I realized last night that the amount of meat in the canned food isn't that far off from what Goo'd be getting on fresh food (she's right at 50 lbs, so going by the 2% rule, around 1 lb meat, she's already getting 12oz), and that I could probably manage (financially) to feed the Neura food only with fresh veggies, etc, cutting the kibble completely out of the picture.

I just don't know if this is an acceptable way to feed, am I right in thinking that I could just substitute the Neura for real meat for now, at the same amount, or is there some other way to figure this out? And is there a concern with too many vitamins/minerals from the food already having "fake" ones in it, then adding real ones from fruits/veggies as well?

I'm thinking that if I can pull this off, it would work out well anyway, as I can't see myself packing dead chickens to take on vacation lol nor my mom cooking for the dogs when I go away, so even after they're switched, I can keep a few cans around for emergencies when I can't feed them the "real" stuff.

Foxwood
Newborn Bully

Postby Foxwood » Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:58 pm

The only problem I see is that with a raw diet, she would be getting NO bone. Which a really important part of any raw diet. I would stick with some kibble for now until you can get some bone in the diet.

Raw is just as easy as kibble. I don't have any freezer room right now until I get a new deep freezer, so we're on kibble. But I would go to the store and get a bag of chicken wings, some turkey necks and some beef cubes. From the pet store I would get venison once in a while. I would just make individual meal baggies. Luckily Jada eats them frozen(she eats them too quickly when they're not) so I just pull it out of the freezer and throw it out for her. I haven't traveled with raw yet. But I have friends who do, they just pack one of those small coolers with ice, and throw some baggies of chicken in...and they're ready to go. The only thing that takes any time is making the individual baggies, which takes me about 10 minutes every other week.

Good luck.

gooeydog

Postby gooeydog » Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:06 pm

With a meat grinder, I should be able to grind meat and bone, so I won't have to worry about it being in the correct ratio. For now, she gets ground eggshells as calcium when I add fresh meat to her meals, but it's a royal pain to grind the shells and measure them out in proportion to the meat, which is why I'm interested in a grinder (plus then I won't have to cut the meat from the bone, which will make things easier for me).

She's an older dog (12 yrs), so I'm hesitant to feed her raw, I know it should be ok, but don't feel comfortable with the idea right now. The grinder would take the work out of processing the meat from the bone and into small chunks, which is what I currently do before cooking it. My other dog is a food bolter (I've pulled dead whole birds out of her throat as she was trying to swallow them, and she's tried the same a couple times with raw marrow bones), so I don't think that I want her getting large meat/bone pieces either, which would also make the grinder ideal.

I think the Neura canned food does has adequate calcium in it, as it's supposed to be balanced to feed alone or with kibble, though I don't know whether that's from bone being ground in with the food, or from added calcium.

Return to “Health Issues”