Albino pit with black spots on body ?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
sumik

Albino pit with black spots on body ?

Postby sumik » Sun Sep 25, 2005 11:52 am

I got a white puppy. I went to the wet with him cuz black spots started to come out on his skin. First by the penis later on the rest of the body.
The vet said it's normal cuz the dog is albino and the spots r gonna take all of his skin as he grows up.
Anyone has that kind of pit ? has a picture how he will look when he grows up ?

Megan
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Megan » Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:15 pm

I don't think he would be albino.

Albino is where the animal has no pigment at all. the eyes are red/pink eyes, and are also unpigmented. They do not have any color on their bodies. Because they are albino, they also lack melanin(Hah- actually learned something in school!)

Here is an albino skunk-- notice the red eyes, and the WHITE fur. http://skunkville.homestead.com/files/tweek10.1.01.jpg

Here is an albino Muntjac deer.. again, notice the white fur and the pink eyes- http://www.messybeast.com/albinism/albinism-muntjac.jpg

sumik

Postby sumik » Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:29 pm

I'm not sure he's albino either. Just what vet told me yesterday.
He's all white, very light white, u can see the pink skin when u look at him. Nose is pink with a little black just on the tip. Eyes are dark, not pink.
Then the dark brown spots start to appear on him. They'r very little, u could fit 4 spots on your fingernail, so u can see they'r very little.
So even that I vent to the vet I'm still a not sure that the dog is albino, and those spots r very strange.

moochesmama
Bully Ambassador

Postby moochesmama » Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:35 pm

How old is your pup? If the pup is youngish, it may have just begun developing pigment. It can take a dog 4 months or more to fully develop their skin pigment. There are quite a few white pit bulls who have a large number of black or brown skin spots...some look very spotty when they are wet - almost like dalmations. I'm not sure if its a sign of mixing or not, but there sure are quite a few like that.

And if your pup has ANY pigment...then he is not an albino.

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:37 pm

sumik wrote:I'm not sure he's albino either. Just what vet told me yesterday.
He's all white, very light white, u can see the pink skin when u look at him. Nose is pink with a little black just on the tip. Eyes are dark, not pink.
Then the dark brown spots start to appear on him. They'r very little, u could fit 4 spots on your fingernail, so u can see they'r very little.
So even that I vent to the vet I'm still a not sure that the dog is albino, and those spots r very strange.

Definately Not an albino, just a white pit. That sounds like he has A Lot of pigment spots which is not weird at all actually pigment spots are quite common. Post a picture

sumik

Postby sumik » Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:44 pm

I found this picture on internet. I'll take the pic of mine tomorrow, lended my digi cam to my parents.
He's supposed to look like that. The fur is white but the skin will be covered in black spots all over him.
Also I found a pic of albino leopard on the albino page that Megan just hosted pictures from and he has the same thing, white fur and black skin spots all over. and he's still an albino.

The only thing that doesn't convince me, since albino's have the spots on the body is the eye color, cuz it's not pink.
And the dog is only 6weeks old by the way.

Megan
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Megan » Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:50 pm

I saw that- and i'm not sure that is a true albino then. My understand is the lack of melanine, and the lack of pigment, would mean no spots could be present..so therefore, that leapard couldn't be a true albino.

That said- even my greyhound has black spots when she gets wet. She's white w/ brindle spots- but when she's wet you can see all her black pigmented spots :)

sumik

Postby sumik » Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:57 pm

Yeah i'm lost too :)
The only way to b sure is to get it under microscope and get it checked.
But i'm 99% the vet was wrong cuz the dog has dark eyes and a little bt of black nose.
Oh well gotta read some articles on albinos.

Sirian
Super Bully

Postby Sirian » Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:25 pm

Your dog is not an albino, it is white with poor pigment. I would run away from any vet that told me a dog with black pigment is an albino since he was obviously not paying very much attention in biology.

The picture posted of the lepord is of a stuffed dead animal. The taxidermist that stuffed it may have taken some artistic liberty and colored the lips and nose.

If you read the website that picture is from it explains why you can see the markings on the cat.

satanscheerleader
Addicted to PBF

Postby satanscheerleader » Sun Sep 25, 2005 2:07 pm

Ya..... I'd definitely be getting a new vet! lol

Cooper5

Postby Cooper5 » Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:07 pm

Our pup Chopper is 19 weeks old. He is all white with one small brown circle on his back, and a few small spots of brown on his ears. His nose is black and pink. His lips are pink, and around his eyes pink. He is starting to get black spots on his belly, and when we give him a bath you can see a lot of black spots on his skin under his coat. Last night he had a bath, and under his white coat, there were some brown/brindle spots of hair that is covered by the white. You cant notice it until he is wet. He has dark brown eyes. That is his coloring. An Albino has no pigmentation at all. There would not be any spots of black, brown, or any other color at all. Technically an Albino is pure white, with red eyes, and pink skin with no spots, or coloration of any kind. Some people get Albino ferrets, and they are not albino. They have the white coloring, pink skin, and red eyes, but some may get black, and brown spots on them, wich alleviates the albino name from them. Once any form of pigmentation is present, even a miniscule amount, the Albino theory is gone.
Hope this helps.

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:14 pm

Sirian wrote:Your dog is not an albino, it is white with poor pigment. I would run away from any vet that told me a dog with black pigment is an albino since he was obviously not paying very much attention in biology.

The picture posted of the lepord is of a stuffed dead animal. The taxidermist that stuffed it may have taken some artistic liberty and colored the lips and nose.

If you read the website that picture is from it explains why you can see the markings on the cat.
I agree

sumik

Postby sumik » Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:59 pm

Yeah, I thought the vet was wrong.
Anyway is it still unusuall for the dog to have black skin spots all over ?
I saw only like 2 pictures on internet of pitbulls like that.
And every day he has more and more of those spots. And they'r very visible. I don't have to wash him or even look close. U can see it from far away.

HugABull1
www.HugABull.com

Postby HugABull1 » Sun Sep 25, 2005 4:43 pm

It's just your pup developing it's pigment. My girl, Angel, is the same way. When I adopted her at 10 weeks old, she was pure white with a tiny black dot on her little pink nose, and a light brownish-grey spot on the tip of each ear. By the time she was six months old, her skin looked like a dalmations, her nose was mostly black, and the rims around her eyes were partly black. Now, at 3 1/2 years old, she's getting brown spots in her fur of all things, and she's still got spotty skin.

It's totally normal, and totally okay :))

PAULW

Postby PAULW » Sun Sep 25, 2005 5:49 pm

It is normal, a lot of white dogs have black spots on their skin, my old Irish stafford x bulldog had it, you need to ditch that vet!! :bully:

Return to “Health Issues”