Heart Murmur

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Heart Murmur

Postby grlsroc » Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:34 pm

I just rescued a 8 week old puppy from a BYB , they were going to put her down because she has a heart murmur. I am taking her to see my vet tomoroo and what i want to know is everything i can about this problem. Does anyone know anything about this , Please let me know i am very worried about her , not knowing anything about the condition.
grlsroc

Postby Boo439 » Mon Jun 28, 2004 3:12 pm

Yes. My cat had a heart murmur at 5 weeks. He was put on Lasix and Enalapril. It kept his heart murmur in check but at age 2, he went into acute kidney failure. He was put down 3 days after the news as not to make him suffer. Kidney failure is a horrible way to die, so we ended his life while he was still happy. He spent the last 3 days doing whatever he pleased. I still cry about him to this day. I'm not sure if I'd rather have known him and lost him or to never have known him at all. I don't know if the end result is the same for everyone. They told me he might have died sooner than he did. Good luck to you.
Boo439

Postby yuk237 » Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:37 pm

When we got our puppie at 7weeks old. They told us he had a heart murmur. When I took him to the vet about one week later she couldn't even detect a murmur anymore. The vet said they were common in puppies and usually went away with time. Everytime he goes to the vet she checks for it, but it hasn't been a problem since. Hopefully this will work out the same for your puppie.
yuk237

Postby elegy » Mon Jun 28, 2004 7:23 pm

a heart murmur doesn't have to be a terrible thing. like yuk237 said, it's not uncommon for pups to grow out of them, but even if they don't, a dog with a slight murmur can live quite a long life with no problems.

boo, i'm sorry about your kitty. did you guys monitor his kidney levels while he was on the meds? enalapril is hell on the kidneys. we just had to switch my little heart diseased poodle to a different medication because her kidneys are having so much trouble.
elegy
Bully Ambassador

Postby barbponys » Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:04 pm

I know someone who had a Brittany for 14 years that had a grade 3 heart murmur his whole life. The dog should have been let go much sooner than he was but I can understand the difficulty with that decision.

Any way, my point is that a heart murmur isn't a death sentence with proper care.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby Boo439 » Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:42 am

No, the vet never checked him kidneys or anything. All he said was that I was lucky to have had him for as long as I did. :roll: Wasn't long enough. They told me there was a small chance he'd grow out of it, too. Obviously that didn't happen.
Boo439

Postby grlsroc » Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:55 am

We just got back from the vet`s she said it is a PDA and that it sounded loud. I am making her an appointment for a ultrasound next. So know i have to do some research on PDA`s so i know everything about this condition.
grlsroc

Postby barbponys » Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:16 am

What's a PDA?
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby barbponys » Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:17 am

Arythmia?
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby grlsroc » Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:16 pm

grlsroc

Postby grlsroc » Fri Jul 02, 2004 7:47 pm

Well its not a PDA so there is nothing we can do , but make her as comfy and happy for how ever long she has.They couldnt tell us how long it could be , but when she does die it will probibly be from heart failer (spell ?).
grlsroc

Return to Health Issues