UUUGH, poor Samurai ( SAMMI UPDATE)

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

UUUGH, poor Samurai ( SAMMI UPDATE)

Postby Patch O' Pits » Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:36 am

I took the dogs out as usual this morning and poor samurai must have gotten bitten/stung by something, I'm guessing a spider as I know his mama had this reaction when bit by one a few years ago.

I am a bit of a wreck though as a good friend of mine lost her dog to an insect bite /allergic reaction not that long ago. I'm just glad I was here when it happened.

As I was bringing him inside it looked like he had golf balls in his mouth and then a noticed swelling and welts on all 4 legs even his poor eyes are swelling. I feel so bad for him. Then the itching started

Dang no vet open except emergency vet. I know to give benedryl but always like to get a professional opinion. So I call and surprise they say give benedryl and wait.

I'm already sick with a sinus infection and exhausted and now stressed. I was afraid to leave him so I had to call out sick last minute from work which I absolutely hate doing especially on a Monday when the kids are not as good for a sub. (I teach school) My baby boy is more important and my main concern now.

Well I gave the Benedyl about an hr ago and no change but I know it can take quite awhile and maybe even another full doss to see a difference.
I have to keep a close watch on him to make sure his throat doesn't swell up and close off. At least now my regular vet is open now if I need to take him in and also there is one only 2 minutes away not mine but close in case of an emergency

He is still wants to play so that is a really good sign

Monday mornings really suck!
Last edited by Patch O' Pits on Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:08 am

is he still doing O.K. T?

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:27 am

pblove wrote:is he still doing O.K. T?
He is still pretty much the same. The vet said just watch him and bring him in if anything gets worse. He is so swollen. My poor lil one. If he has not shown at least some decrease in swelling by tonight I'll be bringing him in to see the vet.

I'll keep you posted

Boo439

Postby Boo439 » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:31 am

Aww!!!!! Poor kid, I hope he starts feeling better soon!

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:38 am

poor little guy, hope he is fine and you don't need to go to the vet at least.
they will give him steroids and I hate to give them steroids.
I am very allergic to bee stings and spider bites too, have to use the epi pen and then go to hosp afterwards, they always give me steroids and I hate them!!!

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:51 am

pblove wrote:poor little guy, hope he is fine and you don't need to go to the vet at least.
they will give him steroids and I hate to give them steroids.
I am very allergic to bee stings and spider bites too, have to use the epi pen and then go to hosp afterwards, they always give me steroids and I hate them!!!

I did find a dead bee in my yard so maybe it was him and not a spider I wish I knew for sure... yes I know the vet will give a steriod shot and just more benydryl if I take him in that is why I chose to wait. I'm hoping that was a good decision. He seems fine besides looking like a blow fish

I HATE BUGS!!!!!

That stinks that you are allergic to stings too.

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:52 am

Boo439 wrote:Aww!!!!! Poor kid, I hope he starts feeling better soon!
Thanks...I hope so too he is very sad right now. his gums look good and he ate fine and drank so I'm thinking he will be ok. Just looks crappy

dawnapbt
Addicted to PBF

Postby dawnapbt » Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:04 am

Oh, poor Samurai! Give him lots of lovin'! Tell him his "aunt" in CA says he needs to give those energizer batteries of his a rest <g> (I feel like his aunt, anyway!) LOL

-Dawn-

Bustersmama
Addicted to PBF

Postby Bustersmama » Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:08 am

So sorry to hear about this! busters face swoll up bad too when he was stung...but not nearly as bad as what you are describing. You are such a good Mommy!! Playing IS good...I sure hope he feels lots better soon. Hug to Samuri!

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:10 am

dawnapbt wrote:Oh, poor Samurai! Give him lots of lovin'! Tell him his "aunt" in CA says he needs to give those energizer batteries of his a rest <g> (I feel like his aunt, anyway!) LOL

-Dawn-

Of course you are his Aunt Dawn, afterall we are related through our dogs IMO hhehe.

You would think the benedryl would slow him down. I had to crate him because he wanted to play and I don't want him running around until I know for sure he is ok

Foxwood
Newborn Bully

Postby Foxwood » Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:35 pm

Awwww, poor Sam the Man!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jada sends big kisses to make her favorite boyfriend feel better!

Hope to see ya soon!!!!

SFBullyGirl
Addicted to PBF

Postby SFBullyGirl » Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:54 pm

aww I hope he is ok...I had a shar pei that used to chase those damn things and get bitten all the time..had to go to the vet everytime for the steroid/benedyl shots.

Sean W.
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Sean W. » Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:02 pm

Oh no! Not Samurai "the blue shogun" O'Pits! Hope he does ok. Keep us posted. I'm about to take my boy to the vet myself. I hate going to the doctor. It sucks. Plus it's expensive. eck.

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:39 pm

Hi everyone,

Samurai says thanks for all the hugs which he can now have since the say golfball welts are gone on his legs and body, though his pretty face and muzzle is still pretty swollen. At least I can see his eyes now and it doesn't look like he has baseballs in his checks. more like ping pong balls now. He really gave me such a scare

I did take him to the vet at 3:40 even though he was a lot better just to make sure I had nothing to wotty about.

Well the benedryl he was getting every 4 hrs obviously didn't make too tired, he stuck behind the desk to see the receptionist, planted his paws on the counter for kisses and climbed over a bench to visit people on the other side LOL. I knew he was feeling better than so could not correct his naughty behavior as I was too glad to see Samurai being himself.

The vet was great I figured she'd tell be more benedryl and charge me at least $50.00 LOL. Guess what more bendryl. But She loves Samurai and there was no charge even though she fully examined him and checked him tongue to tail. though she did have a hard time listening to his heart with his tongue in her ear LOL Not only that she played with him for quite awhile. Wow what a nice ending to a horrid day!

To all those who don't have it it is a good idea to keep bendryl on hand. The vet said this mounth has been horrible for bees and spiders and many people have been in with pets due to that.

Oh no! Not Samurai "the blue shogun" O'Pits! Hope he does ok. Keep us posted. I'm about to take my boy to the vet myself. I hate going to the doctor. It sucks. Plus it's expensive. eck.

heheh , my silly boy needs to put everything in his mouth hopefully not any more. Sean, I hope your vet visit goes as well as mine

Awwww, poor Sam the Man!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jada sends big kisses to make her favorite boyfriend feel better!

Oh kristi, Samurai says he is coming for those Jada kisses LOL

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:28 pm

oh what a relief!
I have stayed logged on here all day to keep checking on him.
I did not want to tell you earleir, but my first pit bull got stung and if we were not 3 minutes from his vet, would have never made it because of the throat swelling. He got stung on his nose, I saw it happen, as the wasp was in my house.
I literally, grabbed him and ran out the door, took him to the vet in my nightgown, that is how fast if all happened!
kisses and hugs from us here too!

Return to “Health Issues”