What to do???????

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
my_china

What to do???????

Postby my_china » Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:02 pm

Ok my baby girl is about to go into heat. You ask how i know this because she is starting to srip little speclates of blood around nothin serious yet. Also he private area is very swollen and she also licks it frequently.
Im not worried about her goin into heat i just need to know is there something i could do so she doesnt bleed all over the house when she walks around. Do they make some type of dog diaper or something. She isnt gonna be bred just feel like she doesnt need to be spayed if she stays in the house most of the time and isnt around other dogs. My only concern is she will bleed all over the house does anyone have any advice besides get her spayed. Maybe like where i could put here besides a cage and outside while we are gone to work in school.

Any advice would be good thanx

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:09 pm

they sell special dog pants which I call doggy diapers at petSmart for about 15.00-20.00. You can put a human maxi padinstead of the dog ones as it is cheaper in it and change it often to keep her and your house clean.

Please be sure to keep all males away and don't let her out unattented for even a second.

Kirstan
Forum Junky

Postby Kirstan » Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:17 pm

The whole 'cage' thing won't necessarily work. Many dogs have gotten 'nailed' through a chain link fence. Spay your dog - if you can't justify it for any other reason than saving your carpet, so be it. We don't need any accidental breedings. PLEASE spay her.

elegy
Bully Ambassador

Postby elegy » Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:24 pm

don't put her outside. she'll get pregnant.

if she is not going to be bred there is no reason to keep her intact. it dramatically increases her risk of developing mammary tumors, fully half of which are cancerous, and it puts her at risk of developing a pyometra (infected uterus) which can be deadly.

my_china

Postby my_china » Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:04 pm

Well i know about the whole not leaving her unattended thing and i wont leave her outside for a second now by herself because of the accidental breedings. How would the maxipad thing work also i would liek more insight on that also.

X-girl

Postby X-girl » Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:27 pm

My_China,

(This is no way meant to be nasty so please do not take offense.) It seems to me that you are not prepared to care for an intact female. It's reasonable to think that if you made an informed decision about not spaying her you would know that "doggie underpants" are readily available for use during her heat cycle(s). No? The health risks involved are simply not worth the trouble, IMO; are you aware of the problems that can occur? Take a look at THIS PAGE for some info, if not.

Please reconsider your decision. It's honestly the right thing to do.

my_china

Postby my_china » Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:08 pm

Well honestly its not my choice its my brothers its his dog and he just chooses not to have her spayed. I knew that they made the diaper type of things for dogs just wanted to be 100% sure and since petsmart was closed when my questionms arose i came here. I know how costly it is to have a dog but my brother acts dumb sometimes and doesnt think. I always think and i always think about who it affects but since he doesnt want her spayed i just wanted the next best thing so im off to petsmart tommorow.

X-girl

Postby X-girl » Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:30 pm

I'm sorry to hear he's so stubborn. (I cannot help but wonder why it's more often men that do not want to speuter their pets.)

Can you share the health-risk info with him? Maybe he is unaware of how serious it can it be. And, for that matter, how costly if a health concern arises.

Good luck!

Pit Chick
Forum Junky

Re: What to do???????

Postby Pit Chick » Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:10 pm

my_china wrote:Ok my baby girl is about to go into heat.
She isnt gonna be bred just feel like she doesnt need to be spayed if she stays in the house most of the time and isnt around other dogs. My only concern is she will bleed all over the house does anyone have any advice besides get her spayed.

These statements right here and here http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.p ... highlight= make me believe she is YOUR dog and your brother can get over not having her spayed since it's your dog.

Either way, if you are so concerned about her bleeding all over the house then get her spayed so you don't have to worry about it every six months for the rest of her life depending on how long she lives before developing unterin cancer, ovarion cancer, pyometra, breast cancer, or ovarion cysts which will enevitably lead to her HAVING TO be spayed to save her life if it isn't too late. Then there is the worry of accidental pregnancy (you have 15 years of constant supervision to prevent that), false pregnancies, a moody and/or pesky bitch, male dogs at your door or trying to rip down your fence. Good luck keeping a doggy diaper on a young dog/puppy and hope that if she rips it off she doesn't ingest pieces of it and get blocked intestins.
Don't you (or your brother) want her to live a longer, healthier, happy life?

barbponys
Health Guru

Postby barbponys » Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:46 pm

Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah. Excuse number 4 million 93 thousand. Let me guess, it's too expensive. How much did you pay for this dog? Did you get it for free?

There is no excuse not to spay your dog. None. You are not a good pet owner if you think you can keep her intact and not have problems. I will lay odds she will be pregnant before you know it. She isn't receptive right now, give it 10 days, THEN you will have problems with dogs jumping your fence, her trying to get out, and havoc. The blood is the least of your worries.

my_china

Postby my_china » Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:46 pm

First who are you to tell me that i am not a good pet owner second of all its not my damn dog like i said its my brother he makes the big decisions not me. He is a hard headed person and if it was up to me i would have her spayed when she came into this house. So please dont call me a bad owner cause you dont know me icant help what my brother thinks. And yes it might seem like i am the owner because im more into the whole learning thing about this dog so dont jump on my damn back about anything. Any one else have anything to say.

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:06 pm

You can by season panties from the pet store. They are VERY expensive though, and a lot of dogs chew through them. You also have to attach a pad to it to catch the blood. A lot of female dogs do not like this and will chew up the pad, which my female did the seven years before I spayed her.

Ariel Payopay
Site Admin

Postby Ariel Payopay » Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:20 pm

Wow that sucks you care more about the dog than he does. Do you still fight like brother and sister? If so slap that hell out of him. He'll forgive you because you're his sister. :))

Pit Chick
Forum Junky

Postby Pit Chick » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:25 am

:goodpost:

Ariel, your avatar is freaking me out man! :eek: lol

And yes it might seem like i am the owner because im more into the whole learning thing about this dog so dont jump on my damn back about anything.

It seems like she is your dog because you keep referring to her as your dog, on top of the fact that your forum name is "my_china", not "my brother's china". Tell your brother to join the forum so we can "jump on his back" instead. If you don't want to try and take the info given and educate him, then let us do it. You say he makes the big decisions about the dog, but who is the one taking care of her, feeding her, taking her to the vet, spending the most time with her?

my_china

Postby my_china » Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:56 pm

Well i do all the little stuff like give her baths i clean her beds and make sure she eats. My brother is busy he works and goes to school but we go half on the food (wellness) :headbang: and he pays for the vet bills and all that. But im more into this stuff then he is he just thinks he knows what he needs to know already and thast all i want to learn more about the breed and all so thats why im on here.

Does it matter when u get your dog spayed cause i think he will be in for a rude awakening after her cycle is over do they put like a time limit on when u can get a dog nuetered or spayed.

Return to “Health Issues”