Increase in eye boogers in the last 2 days(no diet change)

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
bullboxer

Increase in eye boogers in the last 2 days(no diet change)

Postby bullboxer » Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:22 pm

I noticed my dog is getting more eye boogers/crust in the last 2 days and both eyes look a little red. One eye has more of it then the other. The boogies have a green tint to them. There has been no change in diet. (same food/treats) I find her energy to be the same. If I touch a tennis ball its major play time. My guess would be allergies of some kind but I am not sure. YES she will see the vet, but would like to know if there is anything else I should be aware of about eye boogers. I dont want my vet selling me up the river b/c his kid needs new shoes. :))

do dogs get conjunctivitis?
Bacterial conjunctivitis affects both eyes and causes a heavy discharge, sometimes greenish.
Allergic conjunctivitis affects both eyes and causes itching and redness in the eyes and sometimes the nose, as well as excessive tearing.

BTW I tried doing a search on eye boogers.
http://www.pitbullforum.com/search.php?mode=results

Darlazmum
Forum Junky

Postby Darlazmum » Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:08 pm

Green is never a good discharge color. Usually the sign of infection. It does require a vet trip, and hopefully your vet is knowledgable and not out for a pair of Nike's.

barbponys
Health Guru

Postby barbponys » Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:37 pm

Eye boogers aren't always food related. My allergy dog never gets them, and my perfectly healthy 9 yr old gets them regularly. Green discharge is not a good sign. Dogs can suffer from conjunctivitis.......... I hope you have it checked.

Foxwood
Newborn Bully

Postby Foxwood » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:13 pm

Jada has been having some more boogers lately. My guess is its ragweed. She usually has allergies 2x a year, and this is one of them. I just give her a Benedryl at night if she acts itchy or anything.

bullboxer

Postby bullboxer » Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:52 am

update:
The green eye boogies were canjuntiva (using pfizer tri-optic p). My dog did develop a cough yesterday so I went back to the vet. The dog now has Canine infectious tracheobronchitis, AKA kennel cough. It's now on antibiotics and cough med.

Is a bordetella shot worth it? I dont board the dog but i do live a complex that has a ton of dogs.

telomere

Postby telomere » Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:41 am

bullboxer wrote:update:
The green eye boogies were canjuntiva

The conjunctiva is the lining of the eye, the green boogies were probably coming from a conjunctivitis, which is an inflammation of the conjunctiva. It can be caused by an infection or by allergies. There are signs that your vet can look for to determine if it is caused by a viral or bacterial infection or by allergies. Hopefully he looked, and all will be well. If it does persist, it may be allergy related.

Often they'll give an ointment for the eye that is the equivalent of an opthalmic neosporin - it can be a little more of a pain to administer, but doesn't have to be given as often as drops. With a bit of practice, it's actually not too hard to administer.

steve

Return to “Health Issues”