how do i switch to raw?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Adnox

how do i switch to raw?

Postby Adnox » Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:55 pm

i am thinking of switching tola to a raw food diet. i have read some about it but im not real sure how to do it.
what kinds of meats do i want to get her? i mean what to i ask the butcher for? i've read about people giving chicken (whole) but have always heard to NEVER give a dog chicken bones. how much do i give her? she's 45 lbs and very lazy. right now she cant exercise much because she is getting over having heartworms but when she is able to she will be going on a mile jog/walk every day. what do i need to make sure she has everyday to be healthy?

barbponys
Health Guru

Postby barbponys » Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:50 pm

Take her weight and multiply by 2%, that's the best place to start. You can adjust how much you feed from there.

If she seems to lose too much you can up the amount you feed. My dogs get salmon oil, eggs and kelp as supplements to their meat. That's it.

Adnox

Postby Adnox » Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:12 pm

so what meats do i get for her? what do i ask the butcher for? are all meats good, some better than others? do i want bone in or out?

barbponys
Health Guru

Postby barbponys » Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:06 pm

I buy whole chickens and cut them up. I feed beef, lamb, emu, turkey, canned fish(raw salmon and trout are a bad idea in the PNW). I give beef neck, rib, shoulder blades, and knuckle bones for them to chew on. Chicken and turkey are always whole so they get the bone. Most people feed chicken cuz it's inexpensive, they need variety and red meat too though. My dogs get chicken or turkey 3 days out of the week, 2 days of fish, and 2 days of red meat. They get kelp every day, and eggs with breakfast 3 days a week. That's the long and the short of my feeding menu.

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:42 am

I have thought about doing an all-raw diet with my girl for a while. But I never had the freezer space to stock up on raw components. So I found a good alternative -- I feed a pre-made raw diet for about 50% of her diet, an excellent kibble for the other half. One of the main reasons I keep her on kibble is because when I travel to dog shows, its easier to pack a container of kibble than to pack raw meat.

I have a 2nd fridge now, and I'm thinking about adding more raw components so I'm not spending so much money on the medallions. Although I really like that the medallions have all kinds of good stuff already in them. Barbponys - do you add any vitamin supplements? What about dairy products? (I give Loki yogurt once a week, and cottage cheese once a week when I have it.) Also, what about fruits and veggies? (I also give her canned fruits once or twice a week.)

barbponys
Health Guru

Postby barbponys » Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:22 am

The kelp is the vit/min supplement. It covers all the bases. They get some veggies, mostly what we are eating for dinner though. Fruit is a treat, I wouldn't do canned, too much sugar usually. I do very little dairy. I will use full fat cottage cheese on a thin dog if they will tolerate it, or full fat yogurt. It's a treat for my dogs too. Fancy and Garion got cottage cheese for a while, they were too thin. Once they hit a good weight, I stopped it.

Return to “Health Issues”