I was wondering about apbt size?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
MsTat2Lady

I was wondering about apbt size?

Postby MsTat2Lady » Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:39 pm

I just weighed my "Little girl" CC. she is 41/2 mo. old and weighs 41 lbs. I was wondering if she is big for her age. What does or did any of your female pits weigh at this age?

slechner

Postby slechner » Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:54 pm

i'm not a breeder or professional, but from what i've read....i thought the APBT females shouldn't be more than 60 at adulthood. more than that and you wonder if she has a mix of the larger breeds in her.....

LazyDaisy
Forum Junky

Postby LazyDaisy » Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:11 pm

I think Daisy was about that weight, maybe more. I was worried she was going to turn out to be a "monster pit". Her daddy is big, but overweight, and her mom is big but neither is a "monster". The big surprise was when we brought her back to the vet about a month ago (she's almost a year now) and she had only gained about 2 lbs.

I think when she was 4 months, she got her ears done, and I think (i need my calander) she was 55 lbs, but when we took her recently, she was only 56.4. I could be wrong on the timeline. She is within the normal range for a standard pit, but was a rather large puppy.

How big are your pups parents? Do you know?

SchultzLD

Postby SchultzLD » Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:46 am

Kara was exactly 41 lbs at 5 months, she is now 14 months old a is 51 lbs. Her growing will slow WAY down. Once she is around 16 months or so, she will be pretty much done. I expect Kara to be about 60 lbs by then. I also work her a bit, and take her running throught the Pirana Pit. (It's what we call the trails that wind throught the swamp here on base) It's 2.4 to 6.3 miles depending on what trails I take. I take her to the lake on base and let her go swimming too, the beach, (she gets her workout trying to chase the waves away, then running from them when they come back. I am TRYING to get her to work the Spring Pole to no avail. I also take her to the High School late at night, the football feild has a fence around it, and we play frizbe. It is ILLEGAL for a dog not to be on a leash where I live, but shuuuuuuushhhhhhhh. :cool:

Diyala

Postby Diyala » Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:58 am

My Jessie was about 40lbs when she was 4 months. I thought that she'll stop, but she was still growing up, and now she's about 85lbs??? :angel:

SchultzLD

Postby SchultzLD » Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:40 am

That is a pretty big Pit Bull for a Bitch. :eek:

Diyala

Postby Diyala » Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:45 am

I know... She's one of the largest in my country :crybaby:
the next will be smaller...I hope!

satanscheerleader
Addicted to PBF

Postby satanscheerleader » Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:21 am

Venus was 46 pounds at 4 months and grew up to be 65 pounds. For some reason she is the only one who's weight I remember at that age which is weird since she is 13. Go figure.

HartagoldAST

Re: I was wondering about apbt size?

Postby HartagoldAST » Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:23 pm

MsTat2Lady wrote:I just weighed my "Little girl" CC. she is 41/2 mo. old and weighs 41 lbs. I was wondering if she is big for her age. What does or did any of your female pits weigh at this age?

That is HUGE !!!!!! My adult females are from 42-47 pounds!!!!

Generally they are double their 4 mo old weight as adults.

laxman365

Postby laxman365 » Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:45 pm

my male pit is going to be 13 weeks monday and hes about 24lbs does anyone know about how much hes gonna weigh?

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:07 pm

The formula I keep hearing is to take your dog's weight at 4 months and double it, then you'll have a rough idea of how big they'll be. I don't remember Loki's weight at 4 months... but its in her vet records! :aha: [runs into other room, shuffles through papers, runs back]

Okay, Loki's weight at 17 weeks (or a week over 4 months) was 28 pounds. At almost 2 years now, she's 41 pounds. So in another year or so, we'll see what her "mature" weight is. I keep her lean, though, so she may or may not ever see 56 pounds, LOL.

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:27 pm

Basil and Streets are mixes, so this might not count for much, but at about 8 months they were both around 40lbs and kept growing till about a year and a half old, when they got to 75lbs and 85lbs.

Pariah
Adolescent Bully

Postby Pariah » Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:07 am

This is what the UKC has to say about it:
The American Pit Bull Terrier must be both powerful and agile so actual weight and height are less important than the correct proportion of weight to height. Desirable weight for a mature male in good condition is between 35 and 60 pounds. Desirable weight for a mature female in good condition is between 30 and 50 pounds. Dogs over these weights are not to be penalized unless they are disproportionately massive or rangy.

My Sadie is larger than standard at 21 inches at the shoulders and 80lbs but she is very well proportioned so I dont worry about it.
I do suspect someone introduced some Bull Mastif in her liniage at some point because she is big and goofy freindly like that.

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Re: I was wondering about apbt size?

Postby Patch O' Pits » Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:21 am

MsTat2Lady wrote:I just weighed my "Little girl" CC. she is 41/2 mo. old and weighs 41 lbs. I was wondering if she is big for her age. What does or did any of your female pits weigh at this age?
Yes, she is bigger than average, but the standard heights and weights do say preferred. If she is a unpapered rescue or from a BYB however I'd seriously question if she is of purebred heritage. Either way love her! She is a cute pup.

Pariah
Adolescent Bully

Postby Pariah » Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:24 am

OOps...never mind Accidental extra post
Last edited by Pariah on Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Health Issues”