How does Solid Gold measure up?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Ursa Arctos
Forum Junky

How does Solid Gold measure up?

Postby Ursa Arctos » Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:09 pm

I just checked the Top 5 thread along with the Can't Find the Perfect Diet thread, to see if Solid Gold was ranked. It was not, though Ariel did mention that they heard good things about it.

I'm wondering how you guys feel that it measures up? I just bought solid gold Wolf Forumula for Large Breed Dogs, and this is the ingredients

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bison | Salmon Meal | Brown Rice | Millet | Cracked Pearled Barley | Oatmeal | Rice Bran | Canola Oil | Flaxseed Oil | Garlic | Amaranth | Blueberries | Yucca Schidigera Extract | Taurine | Carotene | Choline Chloride | Vitamin E Supplement | Iron Proteinate | Zinc Proteinate | Copper Proteinate | Manganese Proteinate | Potassium Iodide | Thiamine Mononitrate | Ascorbic Acid | Vitamin A Supplement | Biotin | Calcium Panthothenate | Selenomethionine | Pyridoxine Hydrochloride | Vitamin B12 Supplement | Riboflavin | Vitamin D Supplement | Folic Acid |

It also says that it contains NO:

no wheat
no soybeans
no corn
no animal fat added
no poultry fat
no sugar added
no preservatives added
no salt added
no sunflower oil.

------
So how is this? I bought this bag because my parents are visiting me today and bringing the dogs (woohoo!) and while they try to do the best for their pets, they just don't know much about high quality food (the dogs eat canned moist pedigree- ick!). I was going to buy Timberwolf Organics, but there was none at the store.

Was this a good buy? it was about 7 dollars for a 4 lb bag (i bought a small quantity because they are having a short visit, just want to introduce the dogs to it).

Edited to Add:

Large Breed Adult Dog Food

Protein, Min 22%
Fat, Min 9%
Fiber, Max 4%
Moisture, Max 10%
Calories per cup, 364

vdubn4life

Postby vdubn4life » Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:42 am

ivory's trainer highly recommends it. im feeding canidae for now but this what i plan on trying next. apparently it's popluar among show dogs.

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:55 am

I fed Solid Gold for probably the first year I had Loki. It was a damn good food. Gotta remember though that if you want to get the best effect, you have to buy the vitamins, too. So it gets rather pricey. But being a good food, you don't have to feed as much of it as, say, that grocery store junk.

I had my mom switch uncle Jedi over to Solid Gold, and he's improved quite a bit from whatever she had him on before (I think Eukanuba). His coat problems have almost entirely gone away.

ETA: I wouldn't feed the Wolf formulas if you're talking about this breed. Hundenflocken (adult dog) and Hundchenflocken (puppy) are sufficient.

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:57 am

We switched our dogs from California Natural to Solid Gold Wolf King a few months ago, since we thought that Shades was having a reaction to the sunflower oil in Cal.Nat.
We've been very happy with it so far. Their coats are beautiful, and it seems to agree with everyone's digestive tract just fine. However, as stated above, we do supplement-- this is something that should probably be done with every kibble, though.
We feed half raw and half kibble, and have found that Solid Gold works the best for our dogs. Just remember that every dog is different and many times you have to experiment to see what works.

Ursa Arctos
Forum Junky

Postby Ursa Arctos » Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:09 am

Bahamutt- why wouldn't you reccommend using the Wolf King? Is it because its for "Large breed" dogs? Both my dogs are mixes, Chance (pit mix) runs at around 50 lbs while Mocha is about 65--- so would this be the right forumla for them or is large breed considereed to be giant size?

What sort of supplements should I reccommend adding? I'm reccommending an egg in the food every now and again... but that's all I know.

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:24 am

We add cottage cheese, yogurt, eggs, fish oil, mackrel, salmon, kelp, etc. There is another pretty recent link about things to add to kibble.

rednoseErnie
Forum Junky

Postby rednoseErnie » Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:21 pm

I feed Canidae, but once in a while I feed some Solid Gold for a change. Ernie LOVES the taste of Solid Gold. Downsides for me include price (yikes, way more than Canidae!) and flatulence/soft poo.
:)

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:28 pm

rednoseErnie wrote: Downsides for me include price (yikes, way more than Canidae!) :)

How much does it cost you? We don't have Canidae here, so I can't really compare it to that. I pay about $38-$40 for a 33 lb bag of Solid Gold. And $1.39 for cans, whoch I mix in too sometimes.
I can't get TimberWolf or Nature's Variety in town either. But Wellness runs about $40 for a 20lb bag, and California Natural is about $40 for a 33 (or 36?)lb bag.
Just curious what everyone else is paying.

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:29 pm

Aja wrote:Bahamutt- why wouldn't you reccommend using the Wolf King? Is it because its for "Large breed" dogs?

Right. And because, well, that's what Loki's breeder told me. :oops: I wouldn't consider a 65 or a 50 lb dog large anyway. You don't necessarily need the same stuff that an uber-huge dog would get.

Aja wrote:What sort of supplements should I reccommend adding? I'm reccommending an egg in the food every now and again... but that's all I know.

Solid Gold makes their own brand of multi-vitamins that you can usually buy at any dealer that sells the kibble. It comes in a powder form and you just sprinkle it on the food. They also sell flax seed oil, but I prefer to use olive oil that you buy at the grocery store, because its cheaper and does much the same thing. If you want to get into something that the dogs really love (but which really stinks), get their canned Green Beef Tripe, and add a scoop of that to the dog's food. Its supposed to be good stuff, given in moderation.

Solid Gold has a whole line of stuff you can try out. Go to their website, and you'll see what I mean. http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/

rednoseErnie
Forum Junky

Postby rednoseErnie » Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:17 pm

Allie wrote:
rednoseErnie wrote: Downsides for me include price (yikes, way more than Canidae!) :)

How much does it cost you? We don't have Canidae here, so I can't really compare it to that. I pay about $38-$40 for a 33 lb bag of Solid Gold. And $1.39 for cans, whoch I mix in too sometimes.
I can't get TimberWolf or Nature's Variety in town either. But Wellness runs about $40 for a 20lb bag, and California Natural is about $40 for a 33 (or 36?)lb bag.
Just curious what everyone else is paying.

At the pet food express near my house, I pay #38 for 33lb Solid Gold, and $35 for 40lb Canidae.

satanscheerleader
Addicted to PBF

Postby satanscheerleader » Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:44 pm

The only Solid Gold product that all the dogs seem to do good on is the Millenium. Tank gets really dandruffy from the Wolfking which is weird because that is the first food he reacted to that like. Venus and Nyx are too dandruffy on the Hundnflockn. I guess it's less tricky to find a food that works when you don't have a pack. lol
Last edited by satanscheerleader on Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sam
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby sam » Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:57 pm

I REALLY like Solid Gold's Holistic Blend. It is one of 20 some odd foods I tried for my girl Noli, and the only one that doesn't make her allergies flair up, so all three of my dogs are on it. It is best for less active dogs, or mixed with RAW.

I find that it works really well for allergy prone dogs. An old man pit we have in foster care is doing great on it as well.

Tori

Postby Tori » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:06 pm

Ouch , that's a lot of money for Wellness. I pay 21.00 for a 15 pound bag of Wellness , and a 40 pound bag of Canidae is 28.00.I've never tried the Solid Gold ,I know it's pricey.

Kirstan
Forum Junky

Postby Kirstan » Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:50 am

Can you order the food online instead - or become a distributor? I wouldn't want to pay that much for food. ugh!

Return to “Health Issues”