When to Spay

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Luetya
Super Bully

When to Spay

Postby Luetya » Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:47 am

I had always heard that it is best to get your female spayed before she ever comes into heat. Even coming in once will increase the chances of ovarian cancer. But this guy at work said he just got a chihuahua and the vet said to let her come into heat once before spaying her or she'll "go crazy". Now I don't know if those are his words or the vets but that term alone makes me skeptical. If I remember I'm going to call my vet tomorrow and see what they say but I thought I'd pose the question here as well. Who is right? When should you spay?

TopesLexAndNova
Matured Bully

Postby TopesLexAndNova » Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:01 am

ive heard before they go into heat. Ive done all 3 dogs at 5 months old..nova just had hers done a few days ago..and my others had theres 2 yrs ago and there not crazy

HartagoldAST

Postby HartagoldAST » Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:04 am

Before their first season. Every heat they go thru makes them more susceptible to ovarian and mammary cancer, as well as letting them have a chance at getting pregnant or getting pyometra.

If your friend's vet really said that (doubtful) then he needs to go back to medical school. Many vets are now doing pediatric (as young as 8 weeks) spay/neuter, which is certainly well before their first heat!

PitPrints

Postby PitPrints » Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:53 am

The younger, the better- pediatric spays and neuters are SO much easier on the dogs- they take less time, the incisions are MUCH smaller, the recovery/healing time is faster, and the pups bounce RIGHT back after surgery, whereas adults usually take a while to get back into their "groove". Pups also aren't a danger to rip open sutures, and usually don't chew/lick them...so pups are MUCH easier. Anytime we get pups into the rescue, they are spayed/neutered IMMEDIATELY- I hate seeing the poor adults get spayed/neutered, some are "out of it" for a week.

X-girl

Postby X-girl » Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:06 am

loveAPBTloyalty

Spay

Postby loveAPBTloyalty » Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:56 am

Spay before the first heat cycle- but not at an infant age. Studies have proven that spaying/neutering dogs and cats too early can cause development complications. Around 4-6 months of age is ideal, but depending on the size of the dog can also play a factor as to when goes into heat.

jaygirl
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby jaygirl » Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:50 am

I think your co-worker is the one that is going crazy. I beleive my vet said to neuter or spay between 5 to 6 months of age. Don't listen to people, listen to what the vets say.

Return to “Health Issues”