My dog has serious food allergies, and has now developed allergies to grass etc. After his walks, he now comes in with mild hives. So far, the daily Benadryl has been keeping them at bay.
Well we went to the lake yesterday and all hell broke loose! After 4 hours, my dog's whole body was covered in horrific, giant welts! He started to act all spooky and strange, wouldn't come near me, was really distressed and just tried to get back to the parking lot.
I started to worry about anaphalaytic shock as I had a client's dog experience this, so I rushed him to the vet. On the way, I stuffed a Benadryl into him, as that's all I had. After the antihistamine shot, it took about an hour for some of the welts to go down.
He still has about 1/2 this morning. I've realized that I've got a seriously allergic dog on my hands, which is really distressing, considering I take my dog everywhere and most of that time is doing outdoor activities.
What was supposed to be a fun day outdoors had turned into a nightmare! Before anyone suggests insect sting, mosquitos whatever, I know he doesn't react to stings because he's been stung before and there were no mosquitos anywhere. I do know it's grass/pollen because if he walks in tall grass, he comes out with hives. But I've never ever seen it like this. As he got more itchy, he tried there to rub in the grass to itch his face, and I grabbed him, then 10 minutes later, his head was one giant welt!
Does anyone have experience with serum vs skin allergy testing??? Or the alternatives to that scary prednisone for crazy allergic dogs???