Ears and Ear Cropping

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Ursa Arctos
Forum Junky

Ears and Ear Cropping

Postby Ursa Arctos » Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:11 pm

I'm not a big fan of ear cropping but...

If your dog has prick ears, flat ears, or wide ears, should you "might as well" get them cropped? (since they are considered faults).

Are there any known health problems associated with Prick/flat/wide ears or is it just cosmetic?

rgyoung777
Addicted to PBF

Postby rgyoung777 » Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:24 pm

Only if you're planning on showing your dog, and only then if you want to.

Ear set is a minor fault, not a serious one.

There are no known health problems associated with prick/flat/wide ears.

Divergence from the standard isn't always a health issue, or a red flag.

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Re: Ears and Ear Cropping

Postby Patch O' Pits » Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:57 pm

Aja wrote:I'm not a big fan of ear cropping but...

If your dog has prick ears, flat ears, or wide ears, should you "might as well" get them cropped? (since they are considered faults).

Are there any known health problems associated with Prick/flat/wide ears or is it just cosmetic?

Personally I don't think less than perfect natural ears should be faulted as if they are cropped you can't see what they "REALLY " started as. JMO.

Also on the other side, I've seen some really horrible crops. I hate the reaaaaalllly short ear looking crops. That looks worse than any prick eared , full drop eared dog to me any way.

Don't get me wrong I actually like the look of a good crop on some dogs, but I just personaly prefer natural ears.

That being said ears are just a small part of the total dog and the judging. It comes down to personal choice really whether you are showing or not doesn't matter.

That being said I'd rather show a dog with less than perfect natural ears than a dog with cruddy movement. Really since no dog is perfect you have to decide what is most important to you and what you can live with. In UKC a 2 x National GrCh has one drop ear and one good one so that will show you ears are just one part of the package proving my point

No health problems that I know of are associated with ears not being perfectly set.

Ursa Arctos
Forum Junky

Postby Ursa Arctos » Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:16 pm

Thanks for the info!

I think that crop jobs can look really nice- but personally, I would not do it to perfectly normal ears (not trying to start any debate here). I was mainly curious if the full pricked ears would make a dog more suseptable to infections? (but I guess if it did, then the same would go for cropped, right?)

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:33 pm

Aja wrote:Thanks for the info!

I think that crop jobs can look really nice- but personally, I would not do it to perfectly normal ears (not trying to start any debate here). I was mainly curious if the full pricked ears would make a dog more suseptable to infections? (but I guess if it did, then the same would go for cropped, right?)

Clean ears of any type help ward off infection, moisture and rain getting in can also cause infection as well. Some are more prone than others but I really don't feel it is due to the ear set or crop. At least from what I've seen

disqualifying and serious faults are the things to look at more minor faults really are not such a biggy

I hope that helps!
:)

gooeydog

Postby gooeydog » Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:20 pm

I was mainly curious if the full pricked ears would make a dog more suseptable to infections?

Actually, if anything, the opposite is true. Many breeds with long, heavy drop ears (labs, hounds, spaniels, etc) commonly have ear problems, and it's believed that it's due in part to the ears "trapping" moisture in the canal and not allowing air to circulate, creating a breeding ground for bacteria and other nasties. I don't know about most prick earred breeds, but the one that we have (chi) has super clean ears all the time (so does our drop earred dachs, though our cocker has frequent ear infections), and many wild dogs have prick ears, seemingly without issue. Some use the idea of drop earred dogs having higher predisposition to infection as reason for cropping, but personally, I've seen just as many cropped dogs with problems as any other type of earset. I think it has more to do with diet, health, and genetic predisposition than ear set, though in breeds with super heavy ears, that can be a contributing factor if others are in place.

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:12 am

From what I've heard ear infections can also be allergy related

Pit Chick
Forum Junky

Postby Pit Chick » Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:15 am

So prick ears would be a fault in the show ring? Well that sucks, those are my favorite kinds of ears on Pitties. The AKC wanted to disassociate AmStaffs from the Pit Bull's fighting history by changing the name, but prefer cropped ears which are associated with fighting. Hello, what sense does that make? :dunno: :roll:

KadillacGrrl
Addicted to PBF

Postby KadillacGrrl » Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:59 am

What's interesting is most game bred dogs and pit dogs have natural ears... so I don't get the whole cropped = fighting thing??

LazyDaisy
Forum Junky

Postby LazyDaisy » Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:17 pm

Pitchick- Actually the AKC prefers non cropped.

Ears - Cropped or uncropped, the latter preferred. Uncropped ears should be short and held rose or half prick. Full drop to be penalized.

http://www.akc.org/breeds/american_staffordshire_terrier/index.cfm

If you notice the picture of the Amstaff they have up has cropped ear though. lol

I don't get the cropped/fighting thing either. Maybe a "bad" crop or a really really short one. I like the cropped look, but more and more I like the natural look too. :) It's just another stereotype probably. Perhaps more associated with "today's" fighting dogs than the dogs of yesteryear?

I think having non-perfect ears only matters for show, but as Patches said, it's pretty minor and does not indicate any health issues.

southerndixie

Postby southerndixie » Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:08 pm

Ear cropping is purely cosmetic and is just to make the dog look how you want it to. I personally don't crop mine because I like the natural look and I don't want my dogs put through that stress.

Show wise, ear cropping is still allowed but more and more judges are disapproving it (personally) so that's something to think about.

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:11 pm

southerndixie wrote:Ear cropping is purely cosmetic and is just to make the dog look how you want it to. I personally don't crop mine because I like the natural look and I don't want my dogs put through that stress.

Show wise, ear cropping is still allowed but more and more judges are disapproving it (personally) so that's something to think about.

Actually, judges do NOT disapprove of cropping in the US but in some other countries it is illegal to crop.

However all mine are natural and show. Although there are more natural eared dogs showing now than in the past in UKC the trend is still to crop.
Last edited by Patch O' Pits on Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ursa Arctos
Forum Junky

Postby Ursa Arctos » Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:43 pm

Patch O' Pits wrote:
southerndixie wrote:Ear cropping is purely cosmetic and is just to make the dog look how you want it to. I personally don't crop mine because I like the natural look and I don't want my dogs put through that stress.

Actually, judges do NOT disapprove of cropping in the US but in some other countries it is illegal to crop. Howevere all mine are natural and show. Although there are more natural eared dogs showing now than in the past in UKC the trend is still to crop.

Why illegal to crop? Is it considered a form of cruelty?

(IMO when you make things like that illegal, people will just do it at home with razorblades... :roll: )

Pit Chick
Forum Junky

Postby Pit Chick » Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:01 pm

Aja wrote:(IMO when you make things like that illegal, people will just do it at home with razorblades... :roll: )

That's the only reason my vet still does cropping and docking. He knows some of his customers would do it themselves so for the welfare of the animals he opts to do it so they don't suffer at the hands of idiots.

so I don't get the whole cropped = fighting thing??

Didn't ear cropping (and tail docking for other breeds) originate with a purpose other than looking pretty in a show ring? Correct me if I'm wrong, that's just what I was always under the impression of.

Itsapitty
Super Bully

Postby Itsapitty » Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:29 pm

Okay, newbie question, but could someone please explain the ears standards - what do good "held rose" or "half prick" ears look like? Pictures?

Return to “Health Issues”